cold steel machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
my girlfriend recently bought me [amongst other sharp pointy things] a cold steel machete.

however is arrived pretty blunt, some of the edge was even curling over itself! is it normal for a cold steel machete to arrive in this state or should i send it back?

cheers in advance

Chris.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Take pictures and email them to the company and complain that way, I would. Maybe they'll send you a replacement and let you keep the original one which you can have for the other hand or donate to the person who gave you this blindlingly good suggestion :cool:

Seriously though, before you return it email them and say "Is this the standard of things I should expect from you? or did this one slip past quality control unseen?" you could mention that you were considering posting the images on a very popular bushcraft forum as an example of what NOT to buy. Maybe that'll jog them into action. Just a thought.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've got a Cold Steel Kukri Machete, the cheap one not the nice expensive one, and that had an odd attempt at sharpening on the edge. The edge was narrow, jagged and rolled. However, it was: 1) cheap and 2) easy enough to get a passable (for my standard) edge on.

Claudiasboris

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Mine did have a hollow, rough grind on it too.
I guess that is the standard for those very cheap blades.
Nothing a bit of homesharpening couldn't solve.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I lean to the view that if you don't inform the seller of his failings then he won't correct them. It's often difficult enough when you do.

On the other hand the amount of work involved in resharpening will be much smaller.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have never seen a production made machete with a satisfactory edge out of the box. Tramontina pretty much just puts enough of a grind on them to let you know where you have to create the actual edge. Usually it's nothing a few minutes with a file and some sandpaper won't fix.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE