coeliac recipes anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
my mumhas diabetes type 2 and recently aquired wheat intollerance which she has just been diagnosed with. I went to find some recipes for her but all the stuff I can find is for people who clearly do not live in the real world and shop at tescos. I won't be cooking aubergene with caviar anytime soon so can anyone give me any useful normal everyday recipes?! some bread recipes would be nice though she chucked the bread maker after it made several house bricks and a doorstop!
!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Lindz, my uncle was diagnosed with it, he got the bread on perscription i think, it doesn't last very long tbh. Sorry i can't give more info as he's dead now.

There is a good range of stuff in Tesco's.

Potato flour ? rice flour as wheat flour substitue ? Follow the recipe normal way perhaps ?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
my mumhas diabetes type 2 and recently aquired wheat intollerance which she has just been diagnosed with. I went to find some recipes for her but all the stuff I can find is for people who clearly do not live in the real world and shop at tescos. I won't be cooking aubergene with caviar anytime soon so can anyone give me any useful normal everyday recipes?! some bread recipes would be nice though she chucked the bread maker after it made several house bricks and a doorstop!
!
If the bread maker is making door stops, try prestarting the yeast in warm water, with a pinch of sugar. wait intil you get a bit of foam on the top of the water before adding to he mixing tin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Get thee to Asda :D

Seriously, they sell fresh gluten free bread, and it's good :D If your local store doesn't carry it they will get it in for you too.

That apart, it's been a looonng couple of years for me sorting out new recipes for food I can eat.

Firstly, does your Mum eat meat and is she fine with dairy ?
If so, coeliac is easily dealt with.

Dove's farm sell flour that just replaces the wheat stuff, and it works too.
Sausages and the like made with rusk, can't be replaced easily but there are companies that sell gluten free foods like that and deliver to the front door.
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/I-Special_Diets.html
for instance.

Happy to share recipes, but tell me what kind of food is she missing and that might be a good starting point.

I found that in the West we concentrate on the four gluten rich grains, wheat, barley, oats and rye, but there are literally hundreds we can eat instead without any problems with gluten. From Sorghum to Amaranth, Rice, Corn, Quinoa, Lentil, Bean.....the list just goes on and on.

If I can help, let me know ?

cheers,
Mary

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks Toddy
Yes she can do dairy and meat. Infact I took her for a meal for mothers day and she is sat there with a big steak and a pile of chips telling me how depressed she is she cant eat all the food she loves!
I think its mainly bread she will struggle with. she eats alot of it - probably what caused the problem in the first place.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gluten free bread is truly awful stuff :yuck: the fresh one from Asda is the best yet and even it's much better toasted.
I have been making my own too from the Lauch mixes from Lakeland and the Freefrom diy bread but it's a footer. They need to be done very warm, beaten really well, and kept warm before they bake. The addition of a little bread yeast to the mix helps, besides the stuff then actually smells like bread :cool:

I don't have a very sweet tooth so all the shelf loads of cakes and biscuits don't appeal to me. I do miss the savoury things though, but they add in so much dairy stuff to them that most of them I can't eat.

If your Mum has been diagnosed with coeliac problems it is possible to get the bread on prescription. It's blooming dear otherwise.

cheers,
M

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
What Toddy said.

You can also get gluten free pasta. It won't keep once ready (left over/2nd day dishes) and falls apart if overdone (no gluten to hold it together).

Asda, yep, possibly Sainsbury's as well. It's been about 6 years since I had to cater for wheat/gluten/lactose intolerant etc., diets.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Liam

p.s.

I shouldn't admit this, but the first time I ever heard of Coeliac I thought it was like Celeriac...:eek::eek:

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I must admit Jules has wheat intolerance and wheat free pasta is FANTASTIC!!. So good in fact that we don't bother with normal pasta anymore !!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I must admit Jules has wheat intolerance and wheat free pasta is FANTASTIC!!. So good in fact that we don't bother with normal pasta anymore !!

I discovered Quorn at the same time (the chunks are better than the minced stuff), it absorbs the flavours of what you are cooking (veg, sauce etc).

Dunno if coeliac sufferers could try this?

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If your Mum likes crispy batter on things, Dove's farm S.R. flour and sparkling water. That's it :) Light, crisp, tasty, non greasy :D

cheers,
M

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
they aren't sure if it's just wheat or gluten yet , but not eating wheat has worked and she is still able to drink beer without problems so might be just the wheat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE