Coastal Survival - Coast Hunter - Wild Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Really good day on the Edible seashore course with Robin Harford of www.Eatweeds.co.uk.

The sun was shining which is always good on a days coastal foraging. We started off on the beach and a few quick pushes of the shrimp net I made the night before, found some nice shrimps. There is only one way to eat them in that situation , hold the head and bite of the body, shell and all - They taste amazing, as did the other foraged finds that included: mussels, limpets, seaweeds, purslane, sea beat, maritime plantain. All the Plants were simply thrown in a hot pan over the fire, with some onions and risotto rice, and just keep adding a little water until the rice is cooked - the mussels were pan steamed in a touch of (cooking) wine and garlic. Whilst we tucked in to that the limpets were cooked upside down in there shells until the sides went golden brown. Lovely food great company!

If any wants any tips on either catching or collecting coastal foods, or recipes and methods of how to prepare and cook the stuff, get in touch.

Cheers

Fraser

www.coastalsurvival.com

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
"Cooking" wine, eh? Could have sworn I saw you and Robin sneaking the odd sip from the bottle!

Was indeed an excellent day, and the raw shrimps were very tasty (as was the risotto and mussels - compliments to the chef!). And despite having used limpets for decades as bait, this was the first time I'd tasted them. Nice flavour but distinctly chewy! Can't help but think that they'd be better blended up into a nice chowder instead............(although plugging in a blender at the beach could prove somewhat problematical!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE