Clegs eyes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I wonder how many folk have just swatted a Cleg, without realising it's got fantastic coloured eyes ?
14aCleg.jpg

14bCleg.jpg

14cCleg.jpg

cheers Danny

Reactions: CLEM

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi TS, I just noticed it busy preening, while the coffee was brewing, it was that intent on it, it climbed onto my finger and carried on, maybe it had just hatched or fed ? you can just make out the "stabber" and seen as it didn't try to use it I let it go!
cheers Danny

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Very psychedelic...........,one good thing about cleg or horsefly bites, is that they don't itch for days afterwards, unlike other vampiric critter bites.
I hadn't noticed their eyes before, looking at the first picture with the vegetation, the eye pattern look like it would make great camo.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Very psychedelic...........,one good thing about cleg or horsefly bites, is that they don't itch for days afterwards, unlike other vampiric critter bites.
I hadn't noticed their eyes before, looking at the first picture with the vegetation, the eye pattern look like it would make great camo.

Eh, no, I can't say I've noticed that as I've been too busy concentrating on the the spot where something ripped a chunk of flesh out with pliers before burning it with a fag. Any clegg bite I've ever had has become instantly infected, as they are manky, sneaky b*st*rds, and QDanT is lucky the thing didn't rip his finger out by the roots!

You maybe need to pay a visit to Rannoch, where a particularly nasty, green bog-eyed, super sneaky, Super-Clegg variety has evolved.

My sentiments are perfectly aligned with Wayland's!

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful photo...their eyes always mind me of one of those brainwave things on sci fi programmes showing crazed nutters :(

I have spent a miserable week, itching like fury, terrified to scratch, lump the size of a goose egg now gone blue and yucky green, and the immune response set off the rheumatoid arthritis that meant I ached from head to foot, I'm jittery from antihistamines and my tummy's upset from the anti inflammatories; all from one bite on the underside of my forearm from a thrice damned clegg :sigh:

They say everything has it's place in the scheme of things; I don't see one for this horror.

If you don't itch from the blighters blacktimberwolf you need to breed, 'cos your genes are special.

M

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Eh, no, I can't say I've noticed that as I've been too busy concentrating on the the spot where something ripped a chunk of flesh out with pliers before burning it with a fag. Any clegg bite I've ever had has become instantly infected, as they are manky, sneaky b*st*rds, and QDanT is lucky the thing didn't rip his finger out by the roots!

You maybe need to pay a visit to Rannoch, where a particularly nasty, green bog-eyed, super sneaky, Super-Clegg variety has evolved.

My sentiments are perfectly aligned with Wayland's!

Guess I've a more resistant skin than some of you then. That said, I don't usually let them sup once I've felt the initial nick, but I have no memories of a bite ever infecting or even itching after.

It could be quick reflexes rather than skin resistance because as soon as I feel the bite, "thwatt" prehaps I don't give them enough time to do much damage.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
As for breeding Toddy, I may have a certain resistance to cleg & horsefly bites but I'm a complete genetic let down when it comes to mozzies, ticks or fleas & the like, their bites cause nothing but itching & swelling for up to a week afterwards.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Weird isn't it ? I have an epi pen on prescription for the *just in case* scenario with insect bites. Not bees and wasps, but clegs and mozzies. When my heart starts fluttering like a bird trapped in my chest I know it's time to find the antihistamines; now!
Yet, my eldest, Son1, seems to be totally immune to the blighters. He can stand there with a growing ring of dead midgies around him and he's not got a mark on him. His brother, Son2, gets eaten alive :sigh: Thankfully not the reaction I have, but he's miserable with the blighters.

Beautiful photos though; I'm still going to flatten the horrors on sight however.

cheers,
M

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Midge bites don't effect me much either,( on the rare occassions i've met their aquantance), just a itch when they bite then nothing, no lumps, red patches or itching.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It's always worth appreciating that every creature has it's own unique and special place in the great scheme of things.

And a Clegg's place is Dead....
bat.gif

Have to agree with Wayland on this as I'm on double strength antibiotics due to a clegg bite over the weekend. I was bitten on the back of my left hand, dead centre, on Friday night as I was turning in.

By Sunday morning it was so swollen I could barely move my fingers, with the swelling moving up my arm:yikes:

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE