cleaning up an old saw...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Posted elsewhere, but I thought it'd be ok here too as there was another thread on saws that got me moving on this....

I'd got this saw some time ago, not in too bad shape, but certainly blunt and dirty..
I had to do a bit of reading and googling to get info on resharpening the teeth (apparently a "great American pattern").. Quite a few interesting videos and scans of old saw sharpening books out there..

I took it apart for cleaning up and getting the rust off the blade and the remains of the varnish off the handles..

I cant find a match for the medallion, but I think it is American..

Here it is cleaned and rebuilt...

teeth sharpened:

And finally in use... Seemed to cut ok, I need to move the handle to the far end and get one of the boys on the other end to see how it is as a two person saw, but so far so good...

and now I can move onto the next project......

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cracking job mate. Looking at doing something similar, to something similar minus the 2nd handle.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
... I need to move the handle to the far end and get one of the boys on the other end to see how it is as a two person saw, but so far so good...
Nice job! I used my father's big old bush/bow saw with my son on t'other end to prep a large log for a project - it really was a lot quicker & easier, and quite a laugh. I think your fine looking saw would have been more appropriate for the job though :)

BTW I aquired 3 vintage carpenter's saws in an old vinyl sleeve last year, I think 2 are Disston & the other English made. Nice saws but I'm not much of a carpenter - something like yours would be more useful and I suspect more fun to use! More of a replacement for (or complement to?) a chainsaw.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Good Job John. I have exactly the same saw in the garage, I started on it on saturday. But have been sidetracked. One thing. The handle on mind is stuck on with years of black gunk, it might even have been glued on, [but I doubt it] Did yours come off easily enough?

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Good Job John. I have exactly the same saw in the garage, I started on it on saturday. But have been sidetracked. One thing. The handle on mind is stuck on with years of black gunk, it might even have been glued on, [but I doubt it] Did yours come off easily enough?

Once i got the bolts off it moved easily, some grime under the handle but not enough to hold it in place...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well finished mine. sharpened the teeth, sanded down the rust and handle.
Bit ambitious to get through this 100 year old seasoned english elm! But Im halfway through...
The plywood in the foreground is a simple sheath.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000210.jpg
    P1000210.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 42

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE