Cleaning an ex-army bivi bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I have an ex-army bivi bag coming and I'm wondering how best to clean it? It's second hand so I'd like to give it a once over before I clamber into it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
good advice!
a cheaper option (but the same thing!)
use soap flakes (any brand) it usually says suitable for breathable materials.
(DO NOT use washing up liquid or normal washing powder/liquid , it will simply wash off any proofing!

then when rinsed well yes Nikwax or Grangers re-proofer for Synthetic coated materials
(check on-line you might be able to get a free sample!)

after applying tumble dry on a warm heat, (not hot!) this helps "set" the re-proofing.

after doing this (and when dry) water should bead and fall off.

when you get it mucky again, wash it down with a damp cloth. if it's bad wash in soap flakes you might not need to re apply re proofer for a while!

(as a guide I was told by a Berghaus rep(when working in Blacks), jackets in serious mountain use should be washed after use, and re-proofed after around 10 weeks) so for the average user Bivibag re-proofing perhaps should be done once/twice a year if that!
If you really don't like washing kit make sure you sleep on a mat or sheet of some sort to keep the bag clean.
oh and don't eat/drink whilst in your bag! :nono:

as a final note, Goretex works best in cold wet/windy conditions, as your heat pushes the water vapour through the fabric.

in hot humid conditions you will find sweat will not pass through the fabric as well. so it can appear to be leaking or not breathable.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Soap flakes are ace.

No matter how many times I rinse my poncho, or how many hours it spends erected next to a smoky fire, it still smells of soap! :lol:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Soap flakes are ace.
No matter how many times I rinse my poncho, or how many hours it spends erected next to a smoky fire, it still smells of soap! :lol:

it does have a distinct smell.
put it nearer the fire. lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE