Cleaning a skull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello folks

I found a bit of road kill and want to clean and keep the skull (not human :)), it has been stripped of most of its hide but I think the brain is still in there as smelly mush. Has anyone any tips how to get a good clean skull?

Thanks in advance

Freelander

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
There's a type of beetle larvae that are really good at cleaning even delicate skulls - like carpet beetles but more gentle. You can get the larvae from tinterweb. I've got mole and rabbit skulls done by them and they are fantastic, even the really fine bones are untouched but are flesh free.

If its a large skull, burying it like Niels suggests should work. I used to put them in a wire mesh cage before burial to protect them.

If you go down the chemical route, sodium perborate is the stuff.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Look up skull bleaching or European mounts and you'll find instructions. Burying it will work eventually but it will be very stained, maybe ou like that look. To get the brains out use a wire in the hole at the back of the skull and mash it all it then drain them out. You can flush water through to get the rest out. I'd opt for simmering it in water with washing soda as a simple way to do it....outside though if you value having a habitable house.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Look up skull bleaching or European mounts and you'll find instructions. Burying it will work eventually but it will be very stained, maybe ou like that look. To get the brains out use a wire in the hole at the back of the skull and mash it all it then drain them out. You can flush water through to get the rest out. I'd opt for simmering it in water with washing soda as a simple way to do it....outside though if you value having a habitable house.

I heard from arcaheologist friends they use one of the washing powders with blue in it - similar trick.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I've found a shallow grave to clean off the meat/brains, and then a quick whip round with a toothbrush and some bleach solution to clean the last bits off.
I have had some that are too dark (stained) and I have used peroxide (hair bleaching stuff) to good effect.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Or put it next to an ants nest works too
I put one on a roof of an out building for a month or two - worked fine as various flies and bugs found it

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Forgot to say
Be careful of boiling as although it works, it also can loosen the small bones held together with cartilage - especially in the nasal area.
You may need to glue those back on afterwards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE