Citizen Ray Mears Tough Watch - Are they really tough?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi Guys. Am curious to know how tough this particular model is? Are there some real beaters out there? Would love to see pics of any. Thanks

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I find the quest for "undestructible" watches interesting, considering the abuse soldiers have exposed their watches for!

A mechanical, normal watch (with Incabloc or similat protection) can take far more abuse than the wearers wrist!

A quartz movement can take far more abuse than a mechanical watch.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I wouldn't trust those spring pins one bit, i have busted about 5 G shocks because of the spring pins just bending and pinging out. some have even pulled the plastic case apart too making it completely useless. at the moment my suunto vector is surviving really well.

if i had the spare cash then i would go for a CWC G10 or i had a bit more a CWC GS SAPPHIRE WATCH BLACK.[h=1]https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/cwc-gs-sapphire-watch-black[/h]
if you are looking for a nice watch at a reasonable price have a look at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NIXGPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bought one for my dad and its really nice for the money, again my only gripe being spring pins......

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The spring pins are weak for a reason. If you should catch the watch, bracelet or strap in (for example) a machine, something has to brake. The weakest link. You do not want your wrist to be the weakest link.

I used to wear a thick silver chain on my left wrist. Caught a branch when I skied. A couple of bones broke in my wrist and had to be hold together with pins. The branch broke. Chain was still intact.

I stopped wearing it after that.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Aside form being weatherproof, one of the best attributes i think for an outdoor watch is good illumination. If one's preference is with an analogue watch, then my choice is to go for one that's got the little tritium vials. Available from china now - including a rather good quality Luminox Navy Seal copy, solid metal, with tritium, that costs about £90 new. I've had mine for 3 years and its given cracking service (from a company called 'carnival' i believe).

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think my Seiko Kinetic Divers watch is as tough as they come, I never take it off these days even when whacking away with an axe or bill hook.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I think my Seiko Kinetic Divers watch is as tough as they come, I never take it off these days even when whacking away with an axe or bill hook.

I can go older than that I have a Seiko Automatic Divers watch, wanted to get it serviced but they don’t anymore, something to do with the automatic mechanism. It’s my field and kayaking watch, though I’m tempted to start wearing it again now.

The luminous is wearing out and it needs a bit of a charge from a torch at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I can go older than that I have a Seiko Automatic Divers watch, wanted to get it serviced but they don’t anymore, something to do with the automatic mechanism. It’s my field and kayaking watch, though I’m tempted to start wearing it again now.

The luminous is wearing out and it needs a bit of a charge from a torch at night.

Plenty of indie servicers for Seikos, just have a look online.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
All proper watch makers can relume and sevice it.
The best is if you ask in a watch dhop that sell high end watches, they know who can help you.
A mechanical watch should be serviced about every 5 years. The WR rating if you dive, should be checked every year.

( I do not understand what an ’indie servicer’ is?
Independent watchmaker?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE