Chia seeds - a useful food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
These tiny black and white seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch, containing essential fatty acids (the best known vegetarian source of alpha-linolenic acid - omega-3), protein, soluble fibre, protective antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.

Native Americans in Mexico and the southern United States consumed the seeds of the chia plant for hundreds of years before the arrival of Europeans. Chia was cultivated by the Aztecs, Mayans and other tribes. The good news is that chia seeds are now being produced in Western Australia and are readily available across the country in health food stores, meaning food miles are reduced.

Chia seeds contain 32-39 per cent oil. The oil offers the highest natural percentage known of alpha-linolenic acid (60-63 per cent). Alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) is an essential fatty acid that, in the human body, acts as a foundation for the transformation into EPA and DHA through the action of certain enzymes. In addition, the seeds contain some omega-6 essential fatty acids and contain a beneficial omega-3 to omega-6 ratio of 3:2. Modern diets contain too little omega-3 fatty acids and too many omega 6 fats, often in a ratio of 1:20.

The seeds also contain approximately 20 per cent protein and the amino acids of chia protein have no limiting factors in the adult diet (i.e. they are a complete protein source with all essential amino acids in an appropriate balance). Chia seeds are also a good source of B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, boron and copper. Chia seeds are also an excellent source of antioxidants.

Chia seeds absorb more than nine times their weight in water and form a gel that causes a slow release of carbohydrates and an equally slow conversion of carbohydrates into glucose (blood sugar) for energy. When in the stomach, the seeds act much the same way, creating a barrier between the carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down. The carbohydrates are digested, but at a slow and uniform rate. There is no insulin surge necessary to reduce blood sugar levels. To make a chia gel, simply add one tablespoon of chia seeds to a glass of water and leave in the fridge for half an hour, or longer. The gel can be added to smoothies, juices, porridge, yoghurt or sauces.

Chia seeds are also high in fibre, both soluble and insoluble. Soluble fibre absorbs water (as can be seen when chia seeds are placed in water) and has many benefits, including moderating blood glucose levels and reducing cholesterol. Insoluble fibre does not absorb or dissolve in water. It passes through the digestive system and offers many benefits to intestinal health, including regular gut function and can also lower the risk of colon cancer.

In comparison to flax seeds, chia seeds are almost equal, containing more fibre and protein per serve and approximately the same amount of Omega 3 fats. It's great to make both chia and flax seeds a part of your diet, ensuring adequate nutrients from a range of foods. The table below compares chia and flax seeds:

1 tbsp Chia seeds (15g) 1 tbsp Flax seeds (10g)
Energy 288 kJ 220 kJ
Protein 3.1 grams 2.0 grams
Omega 3 2.9 grams 2.5 grams
Omega 6 1.1 grams 0.7 grams
Fibre 5.4 grams 2.7 grams

http://www.thefoodcoach.com.au/articles/?ArticleID=654

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Very interesting......I've always been a confirmed and very committed meat eater but even I have been thinking more and more about reducing my meat intake so I might pop down to Holland and Barrett and get myself some of these to snack on.....can you just munch them like peanuts or pine nuts?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The ground seeds make more sense to eat, they come out the other end undigested if not.

They work very well as a thickener, rehydrating really quickly. A very useful food. I know plenty of people who eat them regularly.

When added to water, look like frog spawn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE