1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cherry Cooking Spoons

Discussion in 'DIY and Traditional crafts' started by Muddypaws, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Muddypaws

Muddypaws Full Member

I haven't made anything wooden or bushcrafty for ages, so I thought I would rectify this, by setting up my pole lathe, and making some cooking spoons. I had a couple of small diameter Cherry logs at the back of the garage, which had been there for possibly fifteen years, and were therefore well seasoned. These spoons are the results of an afternoon's turnings.

[​IMG]IMG_20190306_145540 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Eleven inches in length, the handles and shoulders were turned on the pole lathe, and then the bowls were shaped using a drawknife, spokeshave and hooked knife. The finish is "off the tools", and then burnished by rubbing vigorously up and down with a handful of shavings from under the lathe.
    I will confess to a little bit of cheating. Where I would have (especially with green wood) shaped the turning blanks with an axe and drawknife, for these I did the shaping on my new bandsaw. The bandsaw is making me lazy!

Thanks for looking!

ScottE, bobnewboy, CLEM and 3 others like this.
  2. Robson Valley

Robson Valley Full Member

Excellent. There's good strength in the web between the handle and the bowl.
    Skinny handles are detestible to arthritic hands. Those look attractively thicker than many.
    Wood: I read of more and more carvers using cherry. Are the orchards coming down?

There are no prizes for squandering time. Try burnishing with a brown paper grocery bag some time.
    The bandsaw and your generosity could prepare blanks for an entire campfire group.

Muddypaws likes this.
  3. crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly A somewhat settled

Very nice, great shapes.

Muddypaws likes this.
  4. Madriverrob

Madriverrob Native

Nice spoons

Muddypaws likes this.
  5. Muddypaws

Muddypaws Full Member

In this case the wood came from some neglected woodland. My dad got involved with a conservation project, and the cherry was running rampant in one corner of the wood. I believe it was sucker growth from an ornamental cherry in a neighbouring plot, which of course reverts to native wild cherry from the rootstock, and grows vigorously. After years of neglect many of the trunks had reached three or four inch diameter. So a decision was taken to thin out some of it, and my dad saved some for me.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Robson Valley likes this.
  6. Dean

Dean Mod
    Mod

Nice work getting back into the groove Muddypaws.

Muddypaws likes this.
  7. 66jj99

66jj99 Full Member

Great profiles you've donedon these two. They look very handy.

Muddypaws likes this.
  8. bobnewboy

bobnewboy Settler

Very nice. I’m sure the ability to get into corners of cooking pans is not missed when they are used