Check it out - the latest Bushcraft compatible outerwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, but why does it cost so much?

By a continuing process of inflation, the government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved an important part of the wealth of their citizens. Keynes

Is everything becoming more expensive, or is the the pound in your pocket being purposefully devalued? Serfdom here we come.....[again]

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Arc'Teryx has always been overpriced but for that outlay I'd expect self cleaning, repairing and the ability to grow round the middle as I do...

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Imagine the tears after the first barbed wire fence lol reviews are great for this jacket (snow and rock)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've seen some of the new alpine Gore Tex Pro fabric jackets getting close to this price, add the Arcteryx label and detailing and there's your $800 price tag.

I've noticed we don't get the decent exchange rates like we used too, the Alpha looks to retail for around $750 in the US so we should be paying more like £500. Increased shipping and imports duties have put paid to that now though I suppose, that's one of the reasons why I refuse to pay £150 for a BioLite :)

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
That is the hottest thing Arcteryx has made, but the price screams looney bin.
What a shame...
The brand is in general very expensive. I have a backpack from them, but I doubt I´ll buy anything else from them.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Arcteryx is great gear, and the missus loves it. To say it's overpriced is only really fair if there is better for less and that isn't often the case. One of the problems is they fall into the category of suppliers whose main customer is the US government like Surefire. US legislation and monitoring mean the price they charge to the government has to be lower than any they charge elsewhere irrespective of the size of the order which keeps the prices high because any reduction in price means they have to refund the government for every one they sold them in the past 2 years.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think I'd still prefer a norrona recon, and pocket the £300 difference.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Arcteryx is great gear, and the missus loves it. To say it's overpriced is only really fair if there is better for less and that isn't often the case. One of the problems is they fall into the category of suppliers whose main customer is the US government like Surefire. US legislation and monitoring mean the price they charge to the government has to be lower than any they charge elsewhere irrespective of the size of the order which keeps the prices high because any reduction in price means they have to refund the government for every one they sold them in the past 2 years.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Special_Reconaissance

Most armies SF components and larger police forces have relatively big discretionary procurement budgets and this sort of clobber is used to soak up all that extra cash.
That and the fact that a major market is the Far East such as brand conscious Japan where this sort of spend isn't too pricey at all.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/galleria/item/sabre45/
Arcteryx is lovely kit though.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It is supposed to be good gear, but it can't compete with Stika gear for functionality and camo IMO :thumbdown:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
And the benefit of it over the kit I already have.....

Only one... alight wallet so I can get more moths in.....

oh well I got one more post count on my total.... :lmao:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The price is caused by two factors, firstly, rip off Britain... Everything is more expensive here. Secondly, diminishing returns. At the very highest standards it takes much more work to get improvements and that costs more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE