Cheap easy adjustable fast hammock suspension

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
After going through a few to many threads looking for easy and cheap hammock suspension ideas i didnt find many this is for the people that do bushcraft on the cheap !

First ive knotted the green cord that comes as standard with a simple over hand knot the entire length a fists width apart
d55e0c39ed1fd00d56acbb14a8e42b3e.jpg

Next is the webbing i brought a pack of two for 2£ at cheap store i was a little worried and thought they would not be strong enough they are rated to approx 180kg ive had upto 130kg in them without any issues
949a46afe34e8bfeaec15e4c49845458.jpg

Next is the links that hold the hammock to the webbing these are simple and cheap 1.50£ each these have also been tested to 130kg
ca240fd9cdcb9d8742e2c64ad3fece19.jpg

You put all this together using little common sense and you get this
90b3d5b2f77e377e792d397e02796f7a.jpg

You have to make sure the buckle is the right way other wise it slips and you will fall
198e542b484bf9b1d991dc7c0bb64e45.jpg

Adjusting is easy just move the knots on the hammock webbing to the aqquired level
1e5deb3fe8c91d6591bcbf80ee57e037.jpg

Like i say this is strong and has 130kgs in it. Its cost just under 6£ and in my eyes is alot easier and cheaper than whoopie slings yet still adjustable

Mandos

Sent from NSA HQ

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I bought 10mm diameter polypropylene rope from a ship chandlers [I think it was about 20p per metre rated to approx. 1,400kg] some climbing rings [pack of 5! from amazon/ ebay cant remember which] rated to 25Kn [approx. 2,550 kg for £10.99] and made some tree huggers from some webbing I already had lying around. Total cost for me £12.99 and rated for far heavier weights than they are ever going to get to.

I did have some 3mm dyneema cord, but it does tend to get crushed between the climbing rings, and just looking at it [I know it's rate to hold enough] but just the thickness [or lack] of it made me a bit twitchy when getting into the hammock!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A simple quick cheap way, and half the weight too, is:- tie a small loop through both ends of hammock (as a permanent feature, a few feet of 5mm climbing accessory cord will do) and plonk a cheap maillon on each loop (or wiregate carabiner if you wish, you can get carabiners that are lighter than maillons). Now get two long lengths of webbing that will be used to sling hammock and tie a small loop on the end of each one. – Now to sling hammock just throw the loop on the end of webbing around the tree and pull the other end all the way through the eye of loop to fix it to tree (if it’s a smooth trunk with no branches throw the loop round a few times before threading the end through eye so it holds), now fix the end of webbing to the maillon, for quick easy adjustment a clove hitch is perfectly acceptable for this (though I use other knots like a munter mule or other combinations).

With this method you only need half as much webbing as your method so it will be half the weight (because your method is essentially a very large loop with knots tied in it then it needs double the length to make the loop)

With this method the maillon will sit underneath the tarp and act as a ‘stop’ between hammock and webbing to stop rain creeping along the webbing and soaking in to hammock.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Mandos said:
Like i say this is strong and has 130kgs in it.
Maybe you've thought of what I'm about to say, but for anyone else reading this I want to point out, when procuring materials for a project like this, it's prudent to factor in the leveraging going on. If a body weighing in at 100kg rests in a taut hammock, the force that acts on the suspension system is much larger. Tapers off if you slacken the thing enough. I can't provide a formula off the top of my head, but one probably exists.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Mandos said:
Maybe you've thought of what I'm about to say, but for anyone else reading this I want to point out, when procuring materials for a project like this, it's prudent to factor in the leveraging going on. If a body weighing in at 100kg rests in a taut hammock, the force that acts on the suspension system is much larger. Tapers off if you slacken the thing enough. I can't provide a formula off the top of my head, but one probably exists.

When suspending a weight between two anchors it is called the ''vector force''. Basically for safety reasons it is not recommended you exceed 90 degrees (most if not all hammocks exceed this). To simplify it, a weight hanging off two anchors is shared equally by both anchors, however that weight increases as the angle increases, it is generally considered okay to go up to 90 degrees after which the weight/force increase is magnified dramatically. Incidentally this is why pulley systems are so dangerous, and setting up those high wires for tight-rope walkers, the force exerted on the anchors can be tremendous, a force exerted one way always means there is a force exerted in the opposite direction too, with pulleys and angles this force is magnified. Anyway for anyone interested here is a link clearly explaining how these forces work.

http://www.ropebook.com/information/vector-forces

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE