Changing a scandi to a flat grind.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I would send it to the original maker to regrind personally. Good to see somebody wanting a proper knife rather than a scandi though :)

I don't really do regrinds by preference, I just seem to end up doing a few at the Moot these days. One of the joys of not using jigs and other crutches to grind is that a handle doesn't get in my way :p

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne's suggestion is good but if the total included bevel angles are different, the knives are not comparable Not.

You absolutely need to have adequate steel behind the edge for the service that you expect the knife to perform.
Obviously, a scalpel is poor for batoning firewood.

General purpose camping knife? 25 degree total included bevel. 30 is a big angle to push open.
Wood carving tools, the very best ones, are all 20 degrees.
Wood carving knives, the serious contenders, are all 12 degrees, maybe 15 at the most.

I've measured the bevel angle of every wood working edge that I've ever bought in the last 20 years.
Dozens of them, from draw knives to Pfeil gouges.
Quite a spread of angles, (40 degrees to 6 degrees)with the rough work being bigger = more robust.
My spoke-shaves are 28 degrees. I do not have the foggiest idea why.
After pulling them more than a mile in dry birch, I can stick with it!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My Jap. kitchen knives are just around 10 degrees. A veritable pain to sharpen, so easy to tip them a tiny boi and ruin the flat.....
I do not baton with them. No.
wife did put a hole in a metal sauerkraut jar( German, so proper metal!) with one.
I was NOT happy.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
10 degrees for your Jap kitchen knives? That is really skinny.
The S.O.B's at Porsche never said what they were using so I measured the big Sandoku and the smaller prep knife (gifts from kids).
They are both 20 degrees total included bevel angles. 800 grit leaves enough of a tooth to cut yourself really badly.

I bought a couple of serious wood carving knives a Moor chip knife and a Flexcut KD14, they were both 12 degrees.
So when I started revising all the farrier's hoof knives for carving, I figured that 12 degrees would be as good as anything.
The carving sharp edge doesn't last very long but that's the reason to learn freehand sharpening.
15 degrees is a big wedge to push wood open. Like the difference in skews at 20 and 25 degrees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE