Chain saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Was chatting to my mate tonight (mentalnurse) and mentioned I was thinking about getting a chain saw to cut wood for my log burner as logs are getting more expensive to buy and harder to get hold of. He advised me to get some advice from people who use them like Maddave etc before I jump into it as I've never used one before.
are they easy to use? Would you recommended a petrol or electric one ? Is there a Cretan one easier to use etc Or would you advise not getting one at all if you are using it for just cutting fire wood , I haven't a clue to be honest , any advice would be appreciated.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you don't have a clue then a chainsaw isn't really for you, get trained and ppe then get a saw

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There are some cracking manual saws on the market like the big silkies and even just a fresh bacho blade in a good size bow saw.
I am biased as they are noisy orrible dangerous things but a necessary evil if you are doing wood in serious bulk. If you can stick to manual then it saves having to don boots, goggles, helmet, chainsaw pants and jacket every time you want to cut wood.

TheWoodsman

Nov 1, 2013
Essex/Suffolk Border
I would say petrol just for the fact they have a lot more oomf and i have never enjoyed using the electric ones, as for ease of use its just personal preference i prefer stihl up in a tree and husqvarna on the ground. Hitachi make a relativley cheap easy to use hobby style top handle saw which ive used on more that one occasion and anything up to a medium sized thigh it copes with fine.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Not wearing protective trousers when using a chain saw is simply stupid, is saving £50 worth loosing your life??

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I recently plunged into the world of chainsaws, got a little 12" Stihl. I wanted one with a gurt long blade but the bloke in the shop talked me out of that:D

Steve

TheWoodsman

Nov 1, 2013
Essex/Suffolk Border
Cutting firewood is a rare occasion when it is permitable in my eyes mainly because your using a small saw (cant kick back to well) and your legs shouldnt really be in any danger zone anyway, most US foresters just wear good ol jeans
Not wearing protective trousers when using a chain saw is simply stupid, is saving £50 worth loosing your life??

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I regularly use my Sthil MS261. It's a great but of kit that sees some hard use.

If you're going to get a saw then you need a decent helmet with ear defenders and face guard. Class 2 trousers and boots.

I strongly advise getting your CS 30 Cross Cut and maintenance ticket.

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
It depends what sort of person you are

If you have no neighbours of they don't mind noise.
But also how much will you look after it , Ive bought saws in the past that have been left in the shed so long the petrol has evaporated, and the leftover oil residue has blocked up the carb,.... so if you are gonna use it lots,Mix the fuel correctly, clean and empty it then its gonna be left for a long time..then get a petrol

If you are kinda lazy, and just want it for random jobs. and only want it for home/garden use ,Go with electric

the replacment chains are the same for each . the main advantage to a petrol is mobility.( but you will still need to fill a chain oil tank for both machines to lubricate the cut )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE