Chaffing Pants?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A touchy subject.. Literally!!
Over the Easter break I'm doing a 50 mile hike over a three day period, and one of my main concerns apart from enough food, water, cramps and blisters is chaffing on the upper inner thighs!
I believe it's from heat generated and from folded seams I'n my pants!!
:0)
Ive done the walk before but it was many moons ago so I cannot remember how it was delt with, if at all!
Now I'd like to get some proper kit to deal with this hinderance as I'n December I completed a days hike and got 'well chaffed!'
I was hoping to wear some light combats, but they have 'chaff seams' under the akward area! I've looked at hiking underpants from 'Go Outdoors', they look brill, being breathable and seamless, but they are £23 a pair!
Anyone had any experience with those skintight sports shorts? Or should I just take a big pot of vasaline!!

Anyone got any tips or suggestions?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I wear cycling shorts on this sort of thing which avoids the issue but you're right caffing is pain that few talk about
Mark

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
I have had similar problems, I think its because my thighs are quite large and they rub together at the top. I used Lanacane gel

http://www.lanacane.co.uk/products/gel.asp

It turns your skin really silky and prevents chaffing. I found it really good. Its available in most chemists and supermarkets, and cheaper than buying new trousers! :D

Used to get this problem occasionally when I wore baggy boxer shorts. A change to tight fitting stretchy cotton jersey shorts (m&s) solved it.
Other thing to watch out for is that these days some outdoor trouser are cut with fashion in mind rather than serious outdoor activity. High on the waist and crotch may make you look like simon cowell but prevents a cold lower back and rubbing thighs.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Used to get this problem occasionally when I wore baggy boxer shorts. A change to tight fitting stretchy cotton jersey shorts (m&s) solved it.
Other thing to watch out for is that these days some outdoor trouser are cut with fashion in mind rather than serious outdoor activity. High on the waist and crotch may make you look like simon cowell but prevents a cold lower back and rubbing thighs.

Seconded - David is absolutely right. Also (dare I mention it) it is a good idea to have more support for the testicles than boxer shorts and the like give to help avoid groin strain.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
A touchy subject.. Literally!!
Over the Easter break I'm doing a 50 mile hike over a three day period, and one of my main concerns apart from enough food, water, cramps and blisters is chaffing on the upper inner thighs!
I believe it's from heat generated and from folded seams I'n my pants!!
:0)
Ive done the walk before but it was many moons ago so I cannot remember how it was delt with, if at all!
Now I'd like to get some proper kit to deal with this hinderance as I'n December I completed a days hike and got 'well chaffed!'
I was hoping to wear some light combats, but they have 'chaff seams' under the akward area! I've looked at hiking underpants from 'Go Outdoors', they look brill, being breathable and seamless, but they are £23 a pair!
Anyone had any experience with those skintight sports shorts? Or should I just take a big pot of vasaline!!

Anyone got any tips or suggestions?

The chemists now sell tiny little tins of vasaline, for lip chaffing, 1 of these would do you if its just for a 3 day walk and whats more it wont weigh the same as a huge tub of vaseline.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Interesting subject since being a larger chap I also suffer from this. Must admit it's usually from wearing loose boxers and jeans or cheap work trousers on warm days or wards. I was always told for walking NOT to wear briefs or Banana hammock type underwear since you then get the seams rubbing the groin but cant commend since never tried out the theory myself.

Lanacain do free sample as well just found out so may give that a try next time i get sore bits.

http://www.lanacane.co.uk/survey.asp

Last edited:
Well thank you, you brave few who delved into and touch on the subject! :0)

Got a small blue round aluminium tin of that lip vas! Very light weight and perfect for the trip! Will defiantly pop the the chemist to check the other out though! Thanks!

I was told about the M&S pants by SWIMBO! I'll check those as well as the cycling shorts!!

Cheers guys much appreciated!

Now do I get a couple of pairs.. Or just turn em inside out! Lol
SWIMBO is coming too so I best take a clean spare pair for this one!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Train hard and build callusses in the wear points!
I find talc better than Vas - it smells better and does not stain your trousers!
Going comando can help in the short term or alternating briefs with boxers or rugby trunks...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you're only doing the 50 miles once and don't need to be doing any more tabbing in the near future, just go for it and if you do chafe, simply apply surgical spirit to the affected area, when you stop for the night.

you might like to take along a small stick, wrapped with leather, which when placed between the teeth, can be bitten onto while applying the spirit.

Repeated application will thicken and harden the skin, so building up a resistance to chafing in future.

The wearing of cycle shorts or similar is a fairly good alternative to the above, I must admit;)

R.B.

NO I'm not serious about applying surgical spirit to the raw bits but you could try applying it for a few days before you go

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you're only doing the 50 miles once and don't need to be doing any more tabbing in the near future, just go for it and if you do chafe, simply apply surgical spirit to the affected area, when you stop for the night.

you might like to take along a small stick, wrapped with leather, which when placed between the teeth, can be bitten onto while applying the spirit.

Repeated application will thicken and harden the skin, so building up a resistance to chafing in future.

The wearing of cycle shorts or similar is a fairly good alternative to the above, I must admit;)

R.B.

NO I'm not serious about applying surgical spirit to the raw bits but you could try applying it for a few days before you go

I have done that! - the stick is essential!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Actually John, in all seriousness, so have I:yikes: quite startling on first application but actually settles down fairly quickly;)

I'd not advise it in the normal run of things however:)

I used to suffer badly with Athletes foot and crotch rot in the warmer months... then a chiropodist told me to wipe down crotch and toes with Surgical Spirit morning and night to kill the fungi, and dry the ereas out to inhibit future growth.
A lot cheaper and more effective than mycota etc...so it became part of my daily routine.
It never occured to me to change the routine when I picked up a strong case of chafe.....Once the fire had subsided I got out the polyfilla and filled the claw-marks in the ceiling, sanded out the bite marks in the rim of the sink and replaced the shattered glass in the windows on that side of the house...
With training you get used to the sensation and can cope by just breathing hard for a few minutes...in fact it can be quite an ...interesting...sensation that some may come to like....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE