Cereal - a bushcrafters staple?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In the heyday of my trekking, I used to carry cerels. Usually nasty stuff similar to Coco pops, of Frosties.
I used to crush it thoroughly so it condensed a lot, and mix it with powdered milk.
It was a nice treat.
Not a staple like I write in the headline, but a very nice, sugary treat. A reward for a day well done!

Last edited:
Reactions: zornt

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to eat Muesli - once described in a Spanish menu as "Cold Swiss Porridge" - but now think of it as everything I DON'T want for breakfast.
I have not eaten "packet Cereals" of any sort since I was a child - nasty over sweet, chemical processed stuff.
I often eat porridge, made with rolled oats (preferably Organic) and water in the pan, a splash (some folk have more in a cup of tea) of milk and SALT sprinkled on in the bowl - a real, tasty and sustaining meal without rotting teeth, introducing synthesized vitamins.
I prefer a good fry up....

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I always take granola. Marks & Spencer. Good dry, with fresh orange, water, milk, or beer.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I need to try granola with beer....
:)

I like granola, from time to time. I dilute it with rolled oats as I find most of the commercial ones a tad to sweet.

I usually have something like that as an evening snack, with a liberal pour of Oat Milk. ( Oat Milk sounds wrong. Water mixed with Oat powder...)

I can imagine A nice Stout would suit the Granola!

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
You could always try the porridge drawer.

"dressers in the Scottish Highlands may have a “porridge drawer” — a tin lined drawer into which freshly made porridge was emptied and left to cool. When cold, slices of the porridge could be cut out and taken out of the house for later consumption”

The porridge was mixed thicker, and when solid, cut out in slices and wrapped in paper, and taken in your "piece bag" for break time. It could also be fried. It wasn't just limited to the highlands. It was also common in lowland agricultural communities. Especially in Aberdeenshire and the northeast.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
An old food custom that should be brought back!
I can see having a container of porridge in the fridge, and just taking a slice.

I love porridge. Rolled oats, or crushed wheat, or crushed Barley.
Plus rice and the stuff type Millet and the other grains grown in Europe.

Underrated food, porridge is!

National food in Scotland?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Porridge.. summer or winter at camp followed by eggs and bacon with mushrooms and fried or tinned tomatoes. A good cup of tea and I'm ready for the day. Lunch isnt realy needed just a quick snack and then a good evening meal. Plenty of cups of tea during the day and that's me happy. Bad experience taking a box of cornflakes camping... left outside the tent by mistake one night. It rained and something also decided to snack on them. Nasty mess in the morning and no breakfast! :(

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I despise cold camp breakfasts. Gotta be hot food, even pasta with cheese sauce is better than a cold gut.
I can endure it for the sake of snookering some Canada geese but that's it.
I don't care for the taste or texture of porridge, no matter what you put on it.
But, it's gotta be steaming hot. At +2C at sunrise, that's not hard to do.

Coffee. 1/4" thick rashers of bacon cut from a slab so smoked the fat is orange.
Serious heap of fried eggs. Pancakes from a scratch mix and syrup or strawberry jam.
More coffee.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
You all want to try "peas brose" then.

About Peasemeal
Peasemeal is a highly versatile, healthy and nutritious food used since Roman times and growing again in popularity. This product is unique to Golspie Mill where it is made from roasted yellow field peas milled through three sets of mill stones to produce a fine yellow flour. Traditionally used for making Peasemeal brose, (adding meal to boiling milk or water with a knob of butter and seasoning to taste) it has many quick innovative modern uses and can be used as a crispy coating, adds a lovely flavour to white sauces, and makes very healthy vegetarian pate.

Many a time I've brewed that up in a large mug and eaten with a spoon.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sounds like what we call ( translated) 'Pea Porridge'.

according to mother, that was one of the staples before Columbus and his mates enriched the European cuisine with all those exotics.

Similar one is 'Lentil Porridge'.

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
As Marie Lloyd used to sing," a little of what you fancy does you good"

My best memories of sugary cereals during the 60s and early 70's were having a good old rummage, that free gift would be in the box somewhere!
Trips to the dentist...not quite as much fun.

Getting back to the present, I'd defo go for the porridge!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Dentists today are very gentle, caring and iversll fantastic prople, do you not think?

Those instant flavoured porridges - designed by Chemical Ali ?
( you remember him?)

The person that concocted them took a very healthy foid and transformed it to something truly unhealthy.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My pet hate with porridge is washing up the pan and bowl so I eat out of the pan. To sweeten a few blackberrys blueberries wild strawberrys or wild raspberries. Whatever i can find. Occasionally for a real treat I'll take some bannanas and maple syrup. THAT'S MY FAVOURITE! .... mmmm I fancy a bowl right now!

Reactions: Clayze

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm with Ruud on this one I'm afraid. I like to get on with the day; none of this breakfast and clearing up till 10:00 in the morning. So, I usually have a snack breakfast washed down with strong black coffee. I may, very occasionally and usually because I have others with me, do a bacon sandwich but otherwise it will be cereal bars or chocolate spread on bread :)

Reactions: Ruud

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nutella?
Nutella on white bread was the standard breakfast for children when we lived in Italy in the late 60's.

Must be healthy, as Nutella is based on hazelnuts, cocoa, and vegetable oils?
:)

I love Breakfast and Protein bars. They create a lot of business for me!

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
Dentists today are very gentle, caring and iversll fantastic prople, do you not think?

Those instant flavoured porridges - designed by Chemical Ali ?
( you remember him?)

The person that concocted them took a very healthy foid and transformed it to something truly unhealthy.
Forgive me if I'm being a little dense , but I'm slightly baffled by your post Janne , what is your point?
No offence intended fella, I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer and a Pop Tart should our paths cross ;)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Chocolate porridge is fantastic. I put hot choc powder in with the oats and milk, cook it all up and if you want it to be extra chocolatey some choccy curls from the baking section of any supermarket or grate some hard choc over the top. Even a few choc buttons mixed in make a sumptuous choccy heaven. You may gather i rather like chocolate and rather like porridge. .. :) :) though I can only be bribed with chocolate .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE