Cassoulet in the Dutch Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
We were out at the weekend and decided to cook a big pot of Cassoulet - basically a thick, hearty stew in the French style, containing lots of meat!

DSC_0729copy.jpg

To begin with, all the meat is browned and set aside. The skin from the duck legs was rendered to provide the cooking fat and then the legs were browned.

DSC_0732copy.jpg

Belly pork next.

DSC_0736copy.jpg

Followed by neck of lamb.

DSC_0737copy.jpg

Some thick Toulouse sausage (ignore the finger nails, hygiene fans! :lmao: )

DSC_0738copy.jpg

That's all the meat.

DSC_0739copy.jpg

Now the vegetables; carrot, celery, onion and garlic.

DSC_0746copy.jpg

Followed by a can of tomatoes, some tomato purée, white wine and a bouquet garni. We cheated and used tins of beans.

DSC_0747copy.jpg

All of the meat then goes back in and the lid goes on. Just.:rolleyes:

DSC_0759copy.jpg

This was simmered for three hours or so. Then the lid was removed to reduce the sauce a little.

DSC_0755copy.jpg

The final part is to add breadcrumbs to the top in a couple of stages and brown the top.

DSC_0773copy.jpg

The lip around the edge of the lid holds the coals on the top.

DSC_0777copy.jpg

All done. Next time we'll take it off the fire for the final grilling process, as once some of the liquid was absorbed it burnt a little at the bottom and around the edge. Oh well. You live and learn. It was very tasty though.:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks scrummy Neil, now that`s what I call a hearty meal.

I don`t own a dutch oven but if I did then that`s what it would be used for, thanks for sharing.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Looks great Scanker, cheers for sharing, one question, how long did you leave the coals on top to brown the "crust"?

AJB

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The coals were on the top for about 20-30 minutes in total. Just enough for the fire below to burn the bottom! :(

As I said above, it would have been great if we'd taken it off the fire to do the crust. The cast iron pot would have retained all the heat in the stew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE