Canoe trip in Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hi guys, here’s a short report from our trip to Sweden. The trip consisted of 4 days spent canoeing starting from the northern part of lake Alvsjon and ending at Lesjofors. After the canoeing we would spend a further 4 days at a cabin near Tibro. This report will mainly cover the canoeing part of our holiday.

The canoe trip was about 70Km and was a fairly easy paddle. We booked the trip with a company called nature travels. There were four of us going and none of us had had much paddling experience but three of us are keen bushcrafters.

We spent the first night at the canoe centre in Gunnerud which was really well equipped for camping. The canoe centre had left us all the kit we would need for our trip which was well received as it was raining when we got there and we were all desperate for a brew. In the kit they left us there was a complete camping kitchen which included two gas powered trangia sets. I had never used a gas trangia before and was really impressed by its performance. We all hit the sack early as we were feeling quite tired from the days traveling.

In the morning we found that the staff were already there ready to get us on our way so a quick pack up and we were ready to sort the canoes and maps ect. We decided to leave most of the kit they had supplied us at the canoe centre as we had brought everything we needed. We did however take their water proof barrels, 2x5L water containers and a trangia kit.

It was about a 45 minute drive to our start place at the north of lake Alvesjon. We got the canoes unloaded as well as our kit and arranged our pick up time at the end.

We got the canoes loaded and headed out onto the lake, the weather was a bit murky so we kept our waterproofs to hand which was a good job as it started to rain within the first hour… We stopped a few times on the lake to check out some of the little islands.

P1000951.jpg

P1000960.jpg

The rain wasn’t too bad so we pushed on as we wanted to get to the first portage where we noticed on the map there was a cabin we could stay in. The rain however got torrential so we took refuge under a bridge.

P1000980.jpg

After a 20mins or so the rain eased and we made our way through the portage.

P1000984.jpg

After the portage which was just under one kilometre we found the cabin just as the clouds were clearing.

P1000985.jpg

P1010018.jpg

The cabin was spot on and fitted the four of us snugly. Two of the guys went off in the canoe in search of fire wood while myself and Yvette got our kit sorted. We had a good fire and a nice dinner which was well deserved!
The following day we woke to blue skies so after breakfast we broke camp and set off down the lake. We found another cabin and decided to stop for lunch and a brew. We thought about staying the night here but decided to crack on as it would have been a lot of paddling the following day.

P1010054.jpg

We paddled onto another lake after lunch and were told that the river we had to take was very hard to see so be aware. The reality was the river was impossible to see from the direction we were travelling so we inevitably missed it and paddled miles passed it. After finding it we started looking for somewhere to pitch our tarps for the night but it was all boggy and other places were too dense. At the end of the river was a nice clearing which we thought was ideal. Upon closer inspection we found the ground was alive with ants and they were huge compared to the English ones. We decided to paddle on and with the light fading and options running out we pitched up on a little island in the middle of the lake.

P1010080.jpg

The next day we had a nice paddle to the finish. Due to paddling so much the day before we got to the finish a day early so decided to find a place to pitch up and head into the village where we saw there was a hotel/restaurant. As we approached the restaurant we noticed the place looked very run down. There was quite a few people and kids outside and didn’t look very open for trade. We caught a chaps eye and he said hello so we asked if we were able to get some food here. He laughed and explained in very broken English that the place had been closed for over a year and that the people living there were Syrian and Iraq refugees. He then ushered us inside and made us sit at one of the many tables. We didn’t know what to expect or what was going to happen…. At a guess there were about 30 people living in this place. A lady then beckoned my girlfriend (Yvette) into the kitchen. Yvette came out shortly after saying they were cooking us a meal and the lady wanted to know if what they were cooking was ok for us! We couldn’t believe it and said that it really wasn’t necessary, they wouldn’t have any of it and proceeded to cook for us. We had a really nice meal made by these people and when it came to leaving they wouldn’t take anything as it was their custom and the nice thing was they all came out to see us off. We couldn’t believe what had just happened. What lovely people!!

The following day was spent getting back to the canoe centre and making our way to the cabin which was about a three hour drive. Whilst we were at the cabin we done the usual tourist things like shopping, hiking and generally chilling out. The outdoor shops out there are amazing, and I ended up spending a four figure sum on new clothing and equipment! We did however make a trip to see Julius Pettersson who was on one of Ray Mears programs many years ago and supplies Ray his hand forged knives. Julius is a lovely bloke and took time to chat to us and show us around his forge and I ended up buying myself a stick tang blade to handle.

Julius.jpg

Well that just about wraps up our trip and we can’t wait to go back and see more of Sweden, it really is a beautiful country and the people there are so friendly and welcoming. I would highly recommend visiting if you haven’t been.
Sorry if my write up isn’t very good, I haven’t had to do a write up since a left school!!

Cheers
Ben

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for sharing Ben looks like it was a great trip, if you don't mind me asking what was the cost of the canoe hire? Sweden is on my list

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
We went quite light weight for our trip as our baggage allowance was 15kg in the hold. We had hand lugged too but used that for our cloths etc that we were going to use while we were at the cabin. It also meant we could leave the hand luggage in the hire car while we were canoeing. I would recommend taking a roll of tape with you for the straps on your pack. The reason for this is that although we all tied our straps up well for check in one pack came off the conveyor belt at the other end and a buckle was broken.

As we had 15kg each we went through all the shared items like cooking kit etc to make sure we didn't take multiples of the same item. As there was four of us and we were canoeing for four days we decided that we would each choose an evening meal to cook for the others which worked well. Food was decided before we left as we didn't want to get into a supermarket and spend hours deciding what to buy. We generally had porridge with nuts and dried fruit for breakfast. Cured meats with cheese and crackers for lunch and a pasta or rice dish for the evening. We also took snacks for during the day which included nuts, dried fruit and jerky.

As we were under on weight we decided to take some food items with us to save time/cash. We were under the impression food would be really expensive out there but this wasn't the case unless your eating out.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Because we went in September there weren't really any bugs about. Without any protection there was about three bites between the four of us. I took a head net just in case though. June is the beginning of the bug season so shouldn't be too bad for you guys but I'd advise taking a head net. I was advised to buy bug repellent once out there as the local stuff is more effective on the local bugs.

Forgot to add in my previous post about cooking. We were able to cook on wood for our entire trip but depending on where you go and what the weathers been like there may be fire bans in place. We took a gas trangia with us for backup and also to make quick brews on the trail.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Because we went in September there weren't really any bugs about. Without any protection there was about three bites between the four of us. I took a head net just in case though. June is the beginning of the bug season so shouldn't be too bad for you guys but I'd advise taking a head net. I was advised to buy bug repellent once out there as the local stuff is more effective on the local bugs.

Forgot to add in my previous post about cooking. We were able to cook on wood for our entire trip but depending on where you go and what the weathers been like there may be fire bans in place. We took a gas trangia with us for backup and also to make quick brews on the trail.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Hi Ben, thanks for the report! I did the same but extended six night trip in July (through lesjofors and on as far as we could) - awesome fun, and the klaraven rafting trip a few years before - both from gunnerud. If you don't mind me piggy backing on your post I'd add a few bits for those thinking about a similar trip:
- it's a bit cheaper to book direct with vildmark I varmland (nature travels just book with them anyway)
- if you're in bug season, mosi and midges can blanket you in some areas - smidge spray is the best I've found for both.
- We took tents, and this made us stick to previous flattened clearings - we wish we'd taken hammocks (such a silly mistake in forest!).
- buy your own food (we paid for a food box - 100 quid each - way too much food & weight)
- for baggage we limited ourselves to 50l each which was spot on and left us a little spare room in the canoe.
Hope that helps people going next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
We were looking at doing the extended trip but as we hadn't done much canoeing before we thought we'd start small. Would like to try the rafting too!! I completely agree regarding the food box. For our trip it would have worked out to £70 each. I think we ended up spending less that £100 for four of us which was a big saving.

I've just noticed your Bristol based, I'm only up the road just north of Yate. Don't seem to see many people from this area on here.

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
We were looking at doing the extended trip but as we hadn't done much canoeing before we thought we'd start small. Would like to try the rafting too!! I completely agree regarding the food box. For our trip it would have worked out to £70 each. I think we ended up spending less that £100 for four of us which was a big saving.

I've just noticed your Bristol based, I'm only up the road just north of Yate. Don't seem to see many people from this area on here.

He he, so you had the delight of the food box mdf crackers, dog food tinned meatballs, and super practical drinking yoghurt! Mmm!

Rafting was actually a lot harder than canoeing - they weigh two tonnes once you've built it, so stopping and/or getting it off sandbanks is epic! Just two of us did that - the company didn't tell us most guys go as a six - turns out two guys with canoe paddles aren't enough to steer one! Good fun though.

Yeah I'm in oldland - yate is not far away! Have just joined forum since discovering Tapatalk so this is my first and second post :)

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
He he, so you had the delight of the food box mdf crackers, dog food tinned meatballs, and super practical drinking yoghurt! Mmm!

Rafting was actually a lot harder than canoeing - they weigh two tonnes once you've built it, so stopping and/or getting it off sandbanks is epic! Just two of us did that - the company didn't tell us most guys go as a six - turns out two guys with canoe paddles aren't enough to steer one! Good fun though.

Yeah I'm in oldland - yate is not far away! Have just joined forum since discovering Tapatalk so this is my first and second post :)

Oops meant to say you missed out on the food box!

Is there much bushcraft stuff happening around Bristol?

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Thanks Pinewood!!

Yes we do a fair bit of bushcraft in the area, I live on a farm and we have a very small woodland (approximately 1 acre) that we camp in. There's also lower wood just down the road that's 1000 acres. We spend days out there but it's owned by the wildlife trust so a bit limited on what you can do there. Mike from MCQbushcraft runs the odd course there too.

Do you get out much in the local area?

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Thanks Pinewood!!

Yes we do a fair bit of bushcraft in the area, I live on a farm and we have a very small woodland (approximately 1 acre) that we camp in. There's also lower wood just down the road that's 1000 acres. We spend days out there but it's owned by the wildlife trust so a bit limited on what you can do there. Mike from MCQbushcraft runs the odd course there too.

Do you get out much in the local area?

That sounds great! We usually go to wales or Devon for bushcrafty trips - getting closer to the pub when it's really horrendous weather! Would be interested in doing a course with MCQ bushcraft if he does them so close by. I've not really found much going on close by - except the wild food walks on the commons etc. I shoot a mates farm, but you can see through the wood there and are surrounded by cows, so I've not Camped there!
A bit of a far cry from varmland :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE