Canoe Project 2!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thants right im building another!
For those of you who havnt seen my first canoe, take a look http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/building%20a canoe.htm

I learnt such a lot from building my last canoe and want to build a bigger and better one!

One of the problems i had with my last canoe was that i made the base of the ribs too round and the canoe ended up a little too tippy for my liking. I have fitted an outrigger and now that problem is solved. This time i want to make the ribs flat on the bottom and not have an out-rigger.

This time i am planning to make the ribs from Willow shoots about 1/2 inch thick.

Is a rib like this still too rounded?:confused:

onerib.jpg

And then there is the gunnels. Last time i used round gunnels. That worked pretty well. This time do you think i should use 2 peices of wood for each gunnel and fit flat ribs between them? If you get what i mean.

Please help im eager to get started!!:D

Many thanks

Jon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
:eek: Though you would! That looks a good shape, both sides are the same, makes it easier for the canoe to go on a straight line;) . I don't know the dimensions, but I would go for something wider and not so deep as your first one. How long is this one going to be?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Dont know much about cannoe making, but I personaly can't wait to see Cannoe no 2. Good luck fella:)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
How big are you thinking to make this canoe?
Only justseen the bit about the gunnells. don't know how I missed it.
I don't see why not. You could have two battens, tied together at regular intervals and fit the ends of the ribs into the gaps. You could cut the ends wedge shapes to fit in the gap. i'll look later tonight to write some more, I am a work at the moment:D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thanks jojo!

I have some wood suitable for the gunnels but it is factory cut wood so i'm a little reluctant to use it. Do you think it would be better to use all materials that i find in the woods? At the end of the day the Canvas and tacks are not natural so do you think i may as well use machine cut wood too? Its a tricky one to decide! Let me know what you think.

Also if i have 2 gunnels on each side i wont be able to use the 1/2 inch willow i was talking about, I really liked that idea aswell.

Using the willow will be a much faster and easier option.

Once i know how im going to make the gunnels i can start

Thanks for the help!

Jon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
At the end of the day, wood is wood, a natural product, even factory cut wood. So I would use the factory wood if it's suitable for your purpose. It's already cut, might as well use it and you don't need to cut some more.

Why couldn't you use the willow in the same way you already haver on your first canoe:confused:

How big is the canoe going to be?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ok i think i am going to use sawn wood.

This canoe is going to be about 3.2m long and 100cm wide (Does that sound a good size to you? Whad depth do you seggest?)

My last canoe was 2.7m long and 70cm wide so the new one is going to be a little bigger. And if the bottom is flat in the new one (unlike the last one) i should have more room inside the canoe.

I didnt use willow on my last canoe. I carved flat ribs from Hazel wood.

The wood i have for the gunnels is 1/2 inch wide and 2 inch deep. I have 4 pieces of that. If i only used two pieces of wood for the gunnels i wouldnt be able to fit the ribs into 3/8" wholes like i did before because a single piece of wood is too thin. (i hope im making sense). Because this is the case, i dont know how im going to fit the round willow ribs.

Could you explain more about how you would fit ribs between the two parts of one gunnel and do they have to be flat ribs to be able to do this?

Thanks Jojo! If you can answer all that you are a star!!

Thanks!!!!

Jon

canoegunnels.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well Jon, you nearly had the answers to your questions.. I wrote a long spill about it and then tried to post it: censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: darn b****y thing refused to upload, I assume problems with the site. I was most displeased :( :( Anyway, I am too tired to start again. I am going to bed :sulkoff:

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
It may be worth watching Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival series two, the birch bark canoe episode. He spends the whole episode making a canoe out of natural materials, with all the details being covered with closeups of the action! I'm sure that some of the techniques would transfer over to the materials you are using. Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Good luck Jon,

I enjoyed the 'my 1st canoe' thread from the pieces of wood right through to the pictures of you grinning your chops off on the water in it :D

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Looking forward to seeing this one Jon, last one was a great project.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Ok. Here we go again, I hope I can submit the reply this time:D

I would suggest that 100cm is a bit wide for a canoe 3.2m long, 3.2m is about the size of a "pack" canoe, and they would tend to be about 85cm wide. Also I would keep the depth to no more than 12" for that size.

I would keep the frame as per the one in your pic. I think they are a good shape. I would use the willow for the frames too.

For the gunnels, I would use two layers of 1/2" as you have them anyway. You could either glue the two layers together, perhaps using some "gorilla" glue, that's polyurethane glue and is very good and waterproof. You would not need to buy very much of it. But glue them together when already bent, I wouldn't glue them straight and them try to bend them, cos you would have a job bending them then!

The other option would be to stitch the two battens together. I would definitely use some artificial sinew for that, it's very strong and also has some elasticity to it, which means when you tie the knots together you can put some pressure on the two battens and they stay together tightly. If you decide you want to use that option I'll draw you some sketches.

Then drill the holes for the frames. You would need to alternate the butt end of the frames ie: thick end, thin end, thick end and so on. Hope this makes sense. It is possible to obtain a very fair hull shape that way.
To keep all the frames in a straight line on the bottom, you would need to use a temporary straight batten along the centreline of the canoe, (it would need to be upside down) then you can install your ribs. When you've done all the frame, you can start fixing some longitudinal battens, ie length way to keep all the frames in place and also to provide space between the frames and the canvas. you could use either some soft wood or some more willow branches for that.

Hope this makes sense:D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thats all great advice Jojo! thankyou!

I am going to stick the gunnels together like you said rather than stitching them. All your advice is clear and i understand what you are sayuing so a big thanks for your time and expert knowledge!:D

I am going into town on monday so i'll get either some outdoor wood glue or some gorilla glue!

12 inches sounds really shallow! are you sure about that! thats only 30cm! You know what you are on about !

Many thanks Jojo!!!

Jon

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ive stuck the wood together to make the gunnels. So far im really pleased with how things are going, i know ive only done a bit of gluing but the shape is looking good!

Just got to wait 24 hours now dor it to set fully. I couldnt gind any Gorilla Glue so i got some weatherfroof evo-stick wood glue for exterior use. I think that will do the trick nicely.

canoegunnels2.jpg

Jon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I didn't see your post from yesterday:confused: must be getting old......... That's got a very nice shape already.

the first thing to do now is to create some flat surfaces between the two side gunnells. The easiest way is to use a saw. Preferably a tenon saw!! If you push the saw between the two ends repeatedly you eventually get reasonably flat surfaces, you nedd to do that from the inside of the frame towards the outside to work with the grain of the wood. If that's not clear, I'll do a drawing for you.

I would not glue the gunnells together yet, as it would be better to fit the stems in between the gunnells pieces. Perhaps i'll do adrawing here anyway. I'll post it in a while...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE