Canada Goose - better or same please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Apparently its going to be a freezing cold winter in the uk. I was looking at canada goose jackets but £600+!:yikes:
Are there any equivalent jackets with the same provenance or quality for less money? Or is Canada Goose the way to go?
I know that good layering and an average coat will see off -10c but i was looking for something nice.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I would love to wear wool but i am allergic to something in it. I suffer with terrible cysts if it touches my skin.
I used to think it was lanolin in the wool but i have worn old wool with non in and i still get them.
Shame really as you can't beat it.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I can't speak about the model you're looking at but would guess that you might roast in it.Canada Goose makes a lot of different models though,so maybe a different one would be more suitable.Check out their website for more information.
Be advised that there are apparently a lot of counterfeits out there,so know who you're dealing with before buying.The company lists authorized dealers.
I have the Snow Mantra parka and love it.I don't care how cold out it is,when on my skidoo I'm plenty warm,even at -40 or more.Well worth the $600 Cdn it cost several years ago.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There's a buffalo parka on the bay at the moment. They were made for the antartic survey, so should be pretty warm.

Rob

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you know anyone who does Costco - they have Timberland down jackets for £65 and Merrell Primaloft (which I feel like I am sitting in an oven when wearing) for £35.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A few layers of fleece if you can't take wool, and a shell. Or a synthetic fill parka (actually better than down in the wet cold that is likely in the UK). The new Fjällräven Arktis parka is tempting, but the price is not. I'm planning on pimping an m90 parka so it is (a) better, and (b) does not look quite so much like military surplus (handwarmer pockets, a fur ruff, perhaps a button in fleeze vest to make it a bit warmer) as my winter parka this year. For bush wear I have plans to make an Inuit style parka, but with a poly-cotton shell and either fleece, polyester batting or wool insulation (i.e. the way they mostly make them these days).

And we had -30 C last year, so I suspect that you could wear less than I do (even if the dry cold is better than the wet cold you get). Add a fur hat or thick beanie, warm mittens, and a good boots (one of the secrets of being able to look smugly superior and comfortable when the others waiting for the same bus are miserable) and you'll be fine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm planning on pimping an m90 parka so it is (a) better, and (b) does not look quite so much like military surplus (handwarmer pockets, a fur ruff, perhaps a button in fleeze vest to make it a bit warmer) as my winter parka this year. For bush wear I have plans to make an Inuit style parka, but with a poly-cotton shell and either fleece, polyester batting or wool insulation (i.e. the way they mostly make them these days).

Is that in Splinter camo ? Would love to see it when it's complete.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
A few layers of fleece if you can't take wool, and a shell. Or a synthetic fill parka (actually better than down in the wet cold that is likely in the UK). The new Fjällräven Arktis parka is tempting, but the price is not. I'm planning on pimping an m90 parka so it is (a) better, and (b) does not look quite so much like military surplus (handwarmer pockets, a fur ruff, perhaps a button in fleeze vest to make it a bit warmer) as my winter parka this year. For bush wear I have plans to make an Inuit style parka, but with a poly-cotton shell and either fleece, polyester batting or wool insulation (i.e. the way they mostly make them these days).

I have a Swedish M90 parka with a hood and made a few alterations. I found it a bit too long so shortened it to just below the pockets and put a bungee drawcord in the hem (All the drawcords have been replaced with 4mm bungee cord with spring toggles) I've also put a velcro strip inside the hood so I can attach my Norrona recon fur trim to it.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just in case you dedided that Canada Goose was too cheap, there is always Skookum Brand (https://secure.skookumbrand.com/anorak.php?id=4)

1_md-m400-canvas.png

Just $895, but you can add another $400 by having them put a wolverine fur ruff on it (personally I don't see the benefits of his fur, I want his claws, imagine the bushcrafting potential!).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE