can dyed leather be lightened again?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive darkened a peice of veg tan leather far too much and I wondered if bleach or anything would lighten it at all?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
It depends. Almost always you're stuck with the dark color, and of course you could go darker if you like.

If it's not smooth leather and it's thick enough and they dye didn't penetrate too deeply, you could skiv it back to a clean leather layer. But the odds are good you could make a real mess of it.

If it's smooth (and therefore you don't want to skiv it) some people say that a cup of household bleach in a gallon of water can work. Soak it overnight and stir often. I have never done this and I doubt I would -- as a tanner, I don't like the idea of what that bleach exposure would do to the leather. But some people say it works.

Of course, after all that soaking, you'd have to form it again, etc. And if it's tooled, well...

My recommendation is that you learn to love the color. Or go much darker. Almost always things in really dark leather look nice.

Good luck!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes unfortunately I painted over some pyrography on a sheath and lost the whole thing :( Ive made good of it though by embossing the edges of the pyro work with a screwdriver and a hammer. turned out surprisingly well but Im still miffed Ive lost so much work, I have a feeling the bleach idea might just do more harm than good as it was `not being able to leave it alone` that got me in this position in the first place!

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Firecrest.

I once lightened the colour of a top-end Swedish leather flightbag, right back to the basic fleshy tone of of the initial tan.

IIRC, I used a handy ,cheepo, bulk bottle of nail varnish remover and balls of cotton wool.
The dye came off very easily with no smears and dried off very quickly.

I have also used Meths on other items, but the results are variable.

Neither, probably , is the ideal fluid to use with leather, but I did nail varnish remover job some 26 years ago and I still use the flightbag, its never fallen to bits....just got better looking with age.

Ceeg

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ok Ill try the nail varnish remover.Incidentally, I remember using acetone to kill some locusts for dissection at college, and when they came into contact with the swab it removed the colour from them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nail varnish remover now states, "Contains no acetone" though.
Too toxic or somesuch thing. Really neat idea however :approve:

How about the stuff folks use to remove varnish from boats and floors ? There's also a bleach meant to lighten timber, it's a two part thing iirc, a bleach and a neutraliser.

Having said all that I think it might still be a good idea to try the nail varnish remover, the only thing is that the modern ones are quite oily. I don't know if that would be an issue ?

Sorry Linz, not being much help :eek:

Just recalled why no acetone, it dries out and cracks fingernails.

cheers,
M

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
This has jogged my memory and I recall others saying acetone works.

I suspect the acetone would work only if you used an oil based dye, if you used an acrylic dye then I doubt it would work.

If you do use the acetone, remember to oil the leather well after you're finished because the acetone will strip essential oils from the leather while it was stripping the dye oils. If you don't oil it to replenish the needed oils, the leather will be in a sorry state in short order.

You can get pure acetone from a hardware store and I would guess that half a liter of it would cost less than a bottle of nail polish remover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE