Can anyone ID this jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Sorry the pic is so poor. I grabbed it a while ago and thought I knew what it was, but then discovered I didn't.

Anyone know what it is?

Identify.png

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Oh, it is OK ... found it. It is an SBS SAS Ventile Canoeists Jacket.

Likelihood of finding one in a surplus shop? Less than nil, I'd imagine. Gizzit value? Immeasurable :lol:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like that a lot. The peaked hood would sell me one of those.

I’m still battering an old Keela Falkland that apart from the usual frayed cuffs, shows no sign of giving up.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Someone is making one out there. But so far I only see versions without 1/2zip or peak .. the two things that carry all the value :lol: More research needed

EDIT: Google 'hawkwood mercantile' for pics of clothes that look very nice, in ventile. I am leaving it at that. I don't want to even hear the prices, let alone see them written down :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Always had a soft spot for that Keela

BTW - if you are looking for a peaked ventile jkt .... Hilltrek do their Talorc in full-on, double-skinned mode and 'hybrid' which doubles-up just on the hood and shoulders. Aiming to order one in September when I have money (though saying that out loud feels more or less like the kiss of death)

Silvermans have a pretty good waterproof arktis smock too, near to £300 .. also its a dropliner config. Dunno.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Always had a soft spot for that Keela

BTW - if you are looking for a peaked ventile jkt .... Hilltrek do their Talorc in full-on, double-skinned mode and 'hybrid' which doubles-up just on the hood and shoulders. Aiming to order one in September when I have money (though saying that out loud feels more or less like the kiss of death)

Silvermans have a pretty good waterproof arktis smock too, near to £300 .. also its a dropliner config. Dunno.

I must resist even looking. I’ve got the Keela, an almost brand new, unworn Fjallraven Anorak 8, a Goretex shell of unknown military issue, a Twodogs Rain Shield, couple of ponchos, and only one body to wrap any of them round. :)

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Relatedly, the Hilltrek newsletter is soliciting opinion on a ventile kayaking jacket.

I wrote back immediately suggesting the SAS one with a few modifications -- well, just one; a full or half zip

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE