camping out this winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
[h=1]Get ready for Freezing February! Temperatures set to plunge to -11C as ice and snow transform countryside in scenes of breathtaking beauty[/h]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...snow-transform-countryside.html#ixzz2ExBhjWiC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I dont know how cold it is going to get but if I wanted to be warm sleeping out what would you recomend I buy sleeping bag wize ? sleeping mat.
ps I want to solo camp/hike so a tent and stove is out :-(

thanks
David

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
UPDATED: 08:55, 31 January 2012

Thought that was a little far in the advance for the forecasters :)

For sleeping mats I'd always suggest the Thermarest ones - though they can be a bit bulky. The trail pro is thick enough you can kip on fairly rough ground and have a good kip.

And a Snugpack Elite (4 or 5) - you should be nice and toasty.

I'm not sure what is available in the UK but what you put under you is critical, Old Mother Earth is an incredible heat sink in the winter time! My Dad said they taught him in the army you need double the blankets under you compared with on top!(that was in the early50's)

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
For cold UK temps I have an Alpkit PD 800 and a Thermarest Xtherm mat. They would be just fine in -11. It is great bag for the money and the mat is very warm for the weight. I also have a PHD Hispar 800 which would be way too much bag for -11 but I am sure the 500 or 600 would be an ideal UK winter bag if you wanted to get the weight down. I also usually lean towards a tent even when solo when it gets cold because I am a bit of a wimp. You can get tents that weigh well under a kilo so it's not a huge deal.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE