camping on snowdon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stormclan

Mar 12, 2010
west yorks
Me and a friend are planning to climb Snowdon in a couple of weeks. Has anybody had any experience of wild camping actually on Snowdon? I know that wild camping is only legal in Scotland and on Dartmoor, but is it accepted, would I get moved on?

Has anybody done this?

Any advice much appreciated :)

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I've wild camped in Snowdonia plenty. As long as you pitch your tent late on, strike camp early and leave no trace, you'll be fine.
If you rock up with family tent, stereo, barbecue and volleyball net, you might get some unwanted attention and moved on.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Given all the usual caveats, provisos and riders...

You might find the quietest part is on the western side of the massif. Camp late and rise early and no-one should notice your presence. Also, anywhere towards the north western arm of the massif (the "whaleback") is usually quiet.

Anywhere along the Gladstone path (Cwm Llan), Pyg track or around Llyn Llydaw is busy.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Wild Camping is officially tolerated in part of Snowdonia, but not others. there are rangers active there and the Sea King Rescue helicopter tends to make a little look-see trip around in the late afternoon and may report your location if you are where you shouldn't be.

You might find a ranger there in the morning to give you a bollocking!

Keep well away from the lakes and you will probably be OK.

As treefrog says "As long as you pitch your tent late on, strike camp early and leave no trace, you'll be fine."

Have fun!

Last edited:

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
ive wild camped a lot in snowdonia

treefrog s advice is very sound

what i tend to do these days is use a campsite as a base camp and either use bivi bag or the hillberg to get onto the mountains for a few days

tbh if you want a bit of wild in snowdonia avoid snowdon - i cant imagine why you would want to be in that particular part of snowdonia there are plenty and i mean plenty of beautiful and challenging hills outside the "honey pot" snowdon area where you can happily camp wild with little chance of bumping into anyone let alone the gortex and lycra brigade(we call them the peter pans).

if you are determined to camp on snowdon use lightweight gear pocket rocket bivi bags for quick set up and take down and move on discreatly as you can

its unlikely you will get challenged for camping on snowdon however as more people take to the hills the more people will want to camp there which will lead to more rules

take the pressure off the tourist routes look at a few maps of the area and plan a jaunt away from them - i dought anyone will even notice you , you may bump into a sheep farmer and chances are he either owns or leases that area for sheep if you do bump into one offer a few quid for staying on his land - its only polite chances are they will turn down the cash but its a gesture and if they accept it they will have a few pints on you later im sure

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
Just dont forgot how wet and cold it can make you the higher you try to camp. I've had a tent blow down on Snowdon yr wydffa due to the buffeting, in rain this is no good.

Just because its popular doesnt mean the weather stops being hard core, life threatening, I'm sure you wont need telling - but its where i see the worst behaviour in the country - scallies in trainers, marching into force 9 rainstorms, using their moblies as the 'beam me up' device.

There is a bothy on top of the Carneddau ridge at over 3000' (llewellyn i think)
great view of north wales coast and to blackpool.

Stew

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
It get's a bit busy on Yr Wyddfa , take a look at the Moelwyns or the Rhinogydd. You can wild camp on any of those ranges and seldom see anyone which in my mind put's the wild back in Wild Camping.

Glen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE