Camping New Forrest, Help in Choosing site.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Hi guys,
Seeking help in deciding camp sites in the New Forrest second week of July. Will be just my hound and I going from Tuesday to Friday. The trip is part of his recovery from an op, so gentle walks in the Forrest, with long lunch breaks under the trees.
Im not a great social creature, so somewhere fairly quiet and a place with a camp shop for simple supplies and a shower block is required.
i like the looks of the camp sites Red Shoot and Hollands. Has anyone visited these sites, or better still any better recommendations.
Thanks in advance, have a great weekend

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Fish ponds bottom. Can have a fire, compost toilet. Shower. Even hang a hammock. Lovely couple run it. Just try & keep it a secret 😉

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
If you're after shower and toilet facilities then Hollands Wood, Ashurst and Roundhill might suit, that I'm familiar with.

Hollands Wood is very good and suit what you have described, although there is not a shop on site and a reasonable stroll into Brockenhurst to find any.

Ashurst has a couple of pubs a ten minute walk away and a couple of small shops not much further.

Both those are immediately adjacent to forest and nice walks.

Roundhill is a little further away from anything and a bit more basic facilities wise, a mainly open grass site as I recall, might not suit.

Hope to be down there myself for a week next month some time, probably Ashurst, handy for everything including the station next door so you can hop on a train down to Brockenhurst or the coast if the fancy takes you, and beer and grub at the pubs if you don't fancy cooking after a long day out :)

Cheers, Paul

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've stayed at Holland's with SWMBO. Very nice site; good facilities; easy to find a quiet corner if it isn't too busy. Keep your food away from foraging ponies!

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
If camping in the New Forest it's a good idea to check yourself for ticks regularly. It's a known area for Lyme disease. You can get a set of tick twisters for about a fiver - well worth the money.

Apologies if you know about this stuff already.

Cheers,

Bob

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Red Shoot is a good campsite and have been there a few times but if your not a great social type of person it can get a bit packed and is quite a popular family campsite, never visited Holland's campsite so I can't comment, there is a few Forestry Commission site around, there's one on the road to Lyndhurst which is very good and has what you are looking for but for the life of me can't remember the name of the site, but I'm sure if you look for Forestry Commission sites in the New Forest I'm sure that site will come up!

Good luck!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
there is a few Forestry Commission site around, there's one on the road to Lyndhurst which is very good and has what you are looking for but for the life of me can't remember the name of the site, but I'm sure if you look for Forestry Commission sites in the New Forest I'm sure that site will come up!
Good luck!

Depending on which road, that's probably the Ashurst site I think, and I would agree it's pretty good :)

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE