Camping in dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 1, 2006
Devon
Hello everybody. Does anyone know any good locations around dartmoor that meet the following criteria:

trees (for the hammock)
mostly pollutant free water
not too many people (so as not to disturb anyone)
accessible by public transport and walking

Any help from locals or people who have been there in the past would be greatly appreciated.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
meadsteve said:
Hello everybody. Does anyone know any good locations around dartmoor that meet the following criteria:

trees (for the hammock)
mostly pollutant free water
not too many people (so as not to disturb anyone)
accessible by public transport and walking

Any help from locals or people who have been there in the past would be greatly appreciated.

When I first went to Widecombe Cockingford campsite around 10 years ago it was a nice quiet place but the secrets out and it gets busier every time I go down there. Screeching kids rampaging around the place and rude people with their permanent caravans who think they own the place because they have a permanent caravan on site. I was 'ordered' to move my car by one of them last time I was down there because it was partly on the track. In fact any half decent driver could have got their car past but this chap obviously wanted an argument.
Anyway there are no trees for your hammock, very limited public transport to the place (widecombe) but there is plenty of water with a stream running through the campsite. If you're lucky enough to go there on a quiet weekend than it's a great spot but at this time of year I very much doubt that would be possible

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Hi Meady,

One of my favourite places on the moors is Wistmans Wood.

Park up in public car park opposite the Two Bridges Hotel or as its the central crossroads of the moors so I'm sure many buses go past there a day. Follow the track for about 1/2 hour or so. It is an amazing stunted (oak I think) wood and the lichen 'drips' from the trees and moss covers all the rocks... Beautiful!

I'm pretty sure there is running water at the bottom of the valley but its quite historically famous so you are probably gonna get company.

A word of warning tho... "theres ghosts round them parts!" :aargh4:

Enjoy!!

j

Course, if Vixen Tor was open to the public then that would be perfect..rant...rant.....rant..

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Wayne said:
Shame you had a bad experience there Falling Rain. I have lots of fond memories of Cockingford. Life is change I guess.

It was pretty busy the last time I was there.

Lots of fond memories for me too Wayne. I just love Dartmoor. It feels like I'm in a different world and I feel so peaceful when I'm there which is why this dipstick spoiled it for me. It was the chap who owns the caravan directly by the wall near the track before you go into the bottom field. I'd parked my car on the grass but slightly on the track leaving plenty of space for any cars to get through. I'd done this because to drive up on the grass bank would have churned everything up and I may not have even gotten up at all because it had been raining very heavily the car was sliding all over the show, and I didn't want to ruin the grass. He told me to move my car (not asked if I'd be so good as too, but ordered me to :eek: ) I said very politely that he should be able to get past as I'd deliberately ensured to leave enough space and the reasons I'd parked it where I had (as mentioned above) Also I was sitting directly by the track and if anyone did require me to move it I was sat right there and would do it immediately, I hadn't parked my car and then gone off walking for the day. He said that wasn't the issue and I should have more consideration for others. So I (still politely) explained it was precisely because I WAS showing consideration for others, I'd parked it were I had, instead of mashing up the grass, and as far as I was concerned the WAS no issue........................ He was a twit and he ruined my day. I was fuming that I'd come away for some peace and quiet and to get away from people like this and there this person was :argue: Other than this though I've got many happy memories of Dartmoor. I love the place :)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Janiepopps, your spot on, wistmans woods is a very strange, eriry and mystical place.

The woods are indeed oak, one of the three remaining ancient woods left on Dartmoor.

Not sure i'd have the guts to camp there overnight mind you. I get goose bumps even during the day there. Weird huh!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
andyn said:
Janiepopps, your spot on, wistmans woods is a very strange, eriry and mystical place.

The woods are indeed oak, one of the three remaining ancient woods left on Dartmoor.

Not sure i'd have the guts to camp there overnight mind you. I get goose bumps even during the day there. Weird huh!

Lets have a meet there, it sounds like fun to me................Jon

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Jon Pickett said:
Lets have a meet there, it sounds like fun to me................Jon

The woods are on a slope and there are lots of boulders all over the slope. I'm sure a fire would be out of the question as it's a very popular spot visited by tourists. I was there at easter last and it was very foggy and drizzling with rain which made it look more eerie than usual. There is lichen called old mans beard growing on a lot of the trees there.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Erm...not that I wish to come across as weird or anything, but in my experience, particularly with ancient things, it is respectful to ask the wood if you can stay in it's embrace for the night. :theyareon

Let's just say that I've had good experiences from doing so :notworthy , and bad :yikes: before I learned that there is more to the world than us in it.... :eek:

Phil

Feb 1, 2006
Devon
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those woods sound pretty good; I will have to go for a walk in them sometime. Ideally I am looking for a location where it is possible to have a fire: sadly that makes most camp sites a no go. Sorry to hear about your troubles falling rain. Some people are jerks who are best left ignored.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi Mate,

Probably not what your looking for but there is another campsite in Dartmoor that allows camp-fires. Typical isnt it, but I cant find my OS map. However, the campsite is on Runnage farm. A stream ups through the site and when I was there a couple of weeks ago there were no caravans and stuff like that as there are no hook-ups. It also has a camping barn and the whole set up is pretty chilled out. You will need a tent / basha. PM me if you are interested and I'll dig out a map ref:

Happy Travels...

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Well it looks like I'm going to miss out on the bushmoot after all so seriously gutted, but desperate to get out so if someone is seriously planning a meet on the moor let me know as I would be up for it.

I've done a few courses out of the Oakhampton Army camp I don't know if it's still there, it was a while ago, but it's a lovely area and if I remember one of the starting points for the RM 30 miler.

So since then I've always stayed around that area, often using farm BB's as a base camp. I like to know my car will still be there when I get back after a couple of days out and about and you can usually reach an agreement with the landlady, as long as they aren't busy.

Paul

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
try one of the forests dotted around there or try black a tor corps just sout of oakhampton not far from the ressy

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
andyn said:

Wistmans is a National Nature Reserve and not the sort of place for much activity apart from quiet contemplation, as its moss and lichen covered boulders are rather sensitive to clomping boots.

The Devil allegedly kennels his hell hounds there and on full moons at midnight drives the souls of the unbaptised over the Dewerstone.

I went there yesterday - lots of midges!

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Pibbleb: Okehampton army camp is still there. Ten Tors is held there every year as the start/finish of the event.

Wistmans wood sounds interesting, I will have to visit sometime.

There is a coniferous forest near Bellever tor which is just by Postbridge around 5km from Two Bridges.

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
PhilParry said:
:D :D Erm...Black Tor Copse is RIGHT next to a danger area!!??! :D :D

But they dont live-fire on Sundays, so Saturday night is okay... :D

I was up on Yes Tor two weeks ago - man it was perfect!!! :p

May 21, 2006
bristol
never realy ruffed it in dartmoor ive always taken a tent the whole place is magic i loved walking it ten tors was good i did that about 16 years ago :eek:
i usually stay behind the plume of feathers in princetown these days. after a long walk and fresh air by the ton its good to unwind with a few jars he he :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE