calling all scout leaders.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i was wondering what the bushcrafty scout leader fraternity thinks of the current scout leader shirt?

personally, i'm still waiting for mine to be finished, it'll be alright when they've finished sewing the other pocket and pocket flaps on. :rolleyes:

i am constantly irritated with loosing stuff out of the one pocket, phone, notebook, pens. when not in uniform i always wear either a craghoppers or 5.11 shirt, both with two pockets with top flaps. a mate of mine has sewn all his badges onto his 5.11 shirt. it strikes me that once upon a time the uniform was a practical one, rather than a dress uniform.

has anyone else badged up a decent shirt for use at scouts?

any other thoughts?

cheers, and.

Last edited:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Back in the days when I was Scout Leader I ended up using British Army Surplus Tropical Shirts. They were pretty close to the same colour as uniform shirts, cheap as chips and you could have one for mucking about at camp and a presentable one. I found them more comfortable than the uniform shirts and less prone to gathering pulls in the weave..

I removed the epaulets but kept the two button-down chest pockets as they were a glaring omission from the uniform short IMHO. A few other local scouters adopted similar options...in fact, It was probably only the DC that regularly wore a legit uniform:)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
What have you done now?
Can't say I've noticed a huge problem myself
But then I prefer to carry stuff in my 5.11 trousers rather than shirt pockets.
I think the material could be better quality, the blue shirts we wear (air scout) is really thin and on parades etc isn't good. Several layers are needed underneath.
Not sure if there's a decent blue shirt like the 5.11 ones...

Mark

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I wear either a 5.11 or a Columbia shirt when on active Scouty type stuff. Both are nearly Scout colour, but I haven't gone as far as to put badges on them...yet.

Simon

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was a Sea Scout leader - most of us badged up sensible shirts like the old blue cotton RN work shirt for everyday scouting use and saved the pathetic blue tissue paper shirts for parades!

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Why would you want to wear a uniform shirt "all badged up" for doing activities etc. Puzzled.

As a DC I had far too many uniforms (2 short, 1 long and one smart) because I was out nearly everynight but it was more about expectation of the people I was visiting than my desire to wear it all the time, there are in reality more appropriate things much of the time. However on occasions when it is required the inability of youngsters and adults to wash, iron and wear it presentably astounds me most of the time.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'm with Peter here- uniform for flag break and flag down, activity dress for the rest of the time. The concession to this self imposed rule is the 5.11 trousers i wear instead of the regulation activity trousers- much more practical and better quality. That way only the shirt has to be removed to go into 'activity mode'. Much of the time it is impractical even to have the explorers travel to weekend camps and activities in uniform (contrary to POR). Don't get me wrong, i'm certainly not anti uniform, in fact very much the opposite, but there is a time and a place for it, and the scout uniform these days is a parade uniform only. If they ever produce a practical activity uniform, then I would have no objections to it being worn for activities- as long as it was good enough quality and suitable.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
I'm with Peter here- uniform for flag break and flag down, activity dress for the rest of the time. The concession to this self imposed rule is the 5.11 trousers i wear instead of the regulation activity trousers- much more practical and better quality. That way only the shirt has to be removed to go into 'activity mode'. Much of the time it is impractical even to have the explorers travel to weekend camps and activities in uniform (contrary to POR). Don't get me wrong, i'm certainly not anti uniform, in fact very much the opposite, but there is a time and a place for it, and the scout uniform these days is a parade uniform only. If they ever produce a practical activity uniform, then I would have no objections to it being worn for activities- as long as it was good enough quality and suitable.

Urban myth alert! Where in POR does it say that Explorers (or any other section) have to travel to weekend camps and activities in uniform? Surely this isn't the old "you're not insured if you're not in uniform" chestnut?

The wearing of uniform is an entitlement - not an obligation. My Scouts wear their uniforms when appropriate, and I'm a stickler for the correct uniform too, i.e. the one as described in POR. I do not, however, expect them to wear it when, say, hiking, canoeing, caving, abseiling...

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Urban myth alert! Where in POR does it say that Explorers (or any other section) have to travel to weekend camps and activities in uniform? Surely this isn't the old "you're not insured if you're not in uniform" chestnut?

The wearing of uniform is an entitlement - not an obligation. My Scouts wear their uniforms when appropriate, and I'm a stickler for the correct uniform too, i.e. the one as described in POR. I do not, however, expect them to wear it when, say, hiking, canoeing, caving, abseiling...

You are absolutely right! I had never been spun the Insurance line, but always been told that POR stated scouts to travel in Uniform. Quite pleased you have alerted this to me- thanks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Why would you want to wear a uniform shirt "all badged up" for doing activities etc. Puzzled.
My Scouts liked to be recognised as Scouts when doing activities and when on camp - to separate them from the other main activity groups who tended to be doing outdoor activities as part of their court imposed conditions....

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
There is nothing that says it , but I "gently insist" that my Explorers wear theirs to travel to camp so I know they have it and its not all crumpled at the bottom of a bag , they are then hung up it my tent porch so I have a nice smartly turned out unit for Sunday Div.....er Scouts own ;) Old habits die hard so they say lol

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
and the scout uniform these days is a parade uniform only. If they ever produce a practical activity uniform, then I would have no objections to it being worn for activities- as long as it was good enough quality and suitable.

well that's exactly my point, once upon a time the uniform was function more than form, along the way it has deteriorated into a parade uniform.

it's not just a case of activities vs flag break, during normal scout evenings i wear my uniform all evening. in an old school scout style, i always have a notebook and pen, pocket knife, lighter/matches et al about my person, whether in uniform or not. we calls it EDC nowadays... i can't be doing without the shirt pockets!

as others have mentioned there's also the requirement to be identified, either as a scout (leader) in general, or specifically as the scout leader for new parents or visitors to camp etc.

well no, quite, i wouldn't suggest wearing the full uniform for swimming either. ;) but the scouts and explorers at least have a sensible shirt already! a poly cotton shirt over a wicking base layer provides an excellent outdoor clothing system.

cheers, and.

Last edited:

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
as others have mentioned there's also the requirement to be identified, either as a scout (leader) in general, or specifically as the scout leader for new parents or visitors to camp etc.

Absolutly agree, also being smart etc seems to reassure nervous parents (I'm a BSL)

it's not just a case of activities vs flag break, during normal scout evenings i wear my uniform all evening. in an old school scout style, i always have a notebook and pen, pocket knife, lighter/matches et al about my person, whether in uniform or not. we calls it EDC nowadays... i can't be doing without the shirt pockets!

You missed out a smartphone which tends to fall out of the present shirt.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
yeah, but the motorola defy isn't really old school scouting....

however, said smart phone was in the shirt pocket whilst falling out of the canoe, going down rapids on the madawaska river in canada last year. leading a group of urchins on DofE gold exped. which serves well to highlight just how vital are the flaps on the pockets. :cool:

cheers, and.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I wear the standard shirt on most occasions otherwise an aging polo shirt. I tend not to keep anything in the top pocket apart from an old scout book and a pen.

Reference to uniform at camp it's always good practise for members to arrive and leave in uniform, more to advertise your group to others plus if you do any flag ceremonies.

Last edited:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
For normal scout activities I (ESL) normally wear somthing like a polo shirt or microfleece (yes the one that says "iScout") and one of several old pairs of regatta trousers. For "Posh" I have a pair of dark blue trousers from Sainsburys that are almost indistinguishable from the Gillwell ones and the normal uniform shirt. At most I will have my phone and a few bits of paper so they stay in my jacket, or Hoodie, which yes also says "iScout" and "iRock" on the back :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
yeah, but the motorola defy isn't really old school scouting....

however, said smart phone was in the shirt pocket whilst falling out of the canoe, going down rapids on the madawaska river in canada last year. leading a group of urchins on DofE gold exped. which serves well to highlight just how vital are the flaps on the pockets. :cool:

cheers, and.

So...did it survive?! My defy has taken a bit of abuse and rain, but never complete immersion....

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
So...did it survive?! My defy has taken a bit of abuse and rain, but never complete immersion....

oh yeah, no problem at all! also survives demonstration dunks in pints of lager. phone calls in the shower are ok, but trying to text in the shower is a nightmare, the screen jumps all over the place.

so all in all, judging by the answers in this thread, i'm guessing there's no point in proposing a scout leader bear grylls shirt then? :rolleyes:

i'll make do with badging up my 5.11 shirt instead.

cheers, and.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I do not carry things in my shirt pocket (would be better with flaps I admit).

Why on earth do people wear uniform for activities outside of regulat meeting and even more so at camp?

Why do you want to wear a dress uniform to get in a mess?

I have never unerstood this especially when its not at all suitable.:pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE