Buying a Shed Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I think I am in the right place!

Please could I have advice on where people have bought sheds from?

I have space for one about 7' x 12' or longer and looking for a sturdy one with no window so its secure.

It will be part workshop part storage.

I do not mind putting it together or paying the supplier to build it.

Just wondered if anyone found a good supplier?

Many thanks

Trojan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Find your local shed manufacturer, and buy proper tongue and groove. Less distance it has to travel the better I reckon.
Make sure you have really good footings for the shed, even just rows of broken slabs raised a little from the soil level will help a very great deal to keep things sound.
Do an annual maintenance and keep roof in good order, and it'll easily last fifty+ years. It won't be cheap though to buy at first.

We re-roofed ours last year using corrugated panels from Homebase, Coroline was the brand. Easy to put up, looks good and seems to have an excellent rep. Worth the money. Buy a hardpoint saw to be disposed of when you're done though. WD40 cleans the bitumen off tools :)
https://www.homebase.co.uk/coroline-black-corrugated-bitumen-roof-sheet-2m_p397258
Probably cheaper to buy elsewhere, but Homebase is nearby and they delivered the panels and the ridge pieces that afternoon for us. We just fitted it over the top of the existing felt. Couldn't find any good reason not to.

Larch lap or cheap panel type rots in a few years and unless you're buying cheap/cheap and having to make do, it's not worth it for big shed. Metal and plastic ones run with condensation and soak, mildew and rust everything inside.

Our big shed is now thirty years old and it's still sound, though we have had to replace boards where the water splashed off constantly onto the wall from a plastic bench in front of it. My fault, it's a sheltered spot, and that's where I sit under the apple tree with my breakfast cuppa when the weather's good. We've fitted gutters now, and I've changed the bench to a seat with a different back.

Last edited:

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I'd echo Toddy's advice. Bought mine 7x14 in 2014 from local supplier. Ridge roof sheets rather than felt and log lap walls. 10 year guarantee if I use their water sealant product Silver Seal every year. Expensive but good product. Got local builder to build a concrete base for £400.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two things I wish we had done all those years ago when we bought our big shed though.

Firstly, it arrived in built up panels on a trailer with the roof pre-assembled and sitting on top. The door way is only as high as the walls, when it really ought to have been partly in the apex of the end too. If the walls aren't high enough you have to duck a little to get in the door. It's fine for me, at all of 5'2", but my six footer son finds it an annoyance.
Secondly, I wish I had had them make the roof rafters both strong enough and high enough that I could put long piece of wood etc., up there out of the way.

That's pretty much it though :)

M 'four sheds' Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have always been disappointed in the quality of 'made-up' sheds for the money and prefer to build my own. It's really quite straight forward if you can handle a saw and a hammer. There are shed plans on the internet but it's not difficult to draw up your own to fit the space you have. All my 'own build' sheds, whether lean-to or self standing, are much sturdier than you'll get for the money from a shed supplier.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did price building our own, and my wee brother's a joiner, so we did work it out properly. In terms of quality, it beat made for us hands down. In terms of price, it was three times the cost.
I had two young kids at the time and money was tight-ish. I wanted sturdy and long lasting but at a price I could afford without wincing too much.

I would really like to believe that it's changed, but when I priced a replacement small shed recently vs the materials to make one, good quality pressure treated timber, etc., it was over five hundred pounds in difference. Scary numbers really, especially when the made for us by local shed company was put up in two hours, done and dusted, too.
Timber seems cheap, until you try to buy good stuff.

On t'other hand, it's not beyond mortal wit and energy to use recycled stuff. One neighbour builds his sheds out of pallet wood. Lot of that stuff is non furniture quality teak. He's not making a lot of money, but he's good with his hands, and his sheds are sound.

M

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's a little strange; around here, if I compare the same quality of wood I can build a shed for about 2/3rds the price (ignoring my time mind). If I could buy a decent shed at the savings you're talking about I agree, I'd save my time and get it delivered :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought that we had it wrong too. I did the add ups, contacted timber suppliers and even with discounts, the price was more, a lot more, for just the supplies.
So I bought ordered from the shed maker in the next town along.
Surely the advent of the internet would make things easier to compare prices and quality though ? I thought so when we had to replace a smaller shed, but no. It was hundreds of pounds. So I just bought ready made again.

I am absolutely certain that even though it's sound, and it has decent thickness T&G boards, etc., that the quality of home build would beat it hands down. But, going by how long the other shed has lasted with simple regular cleaning and painting, (well, refelted and then re-roofed with coroline last year) we reckon it'll last fine.

If it's cheaper for you, in your area, and you're up for the job, I too would say design and build your own though.

M

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Now, my idea of a shed might be a little squiffy (ie, my smallest is 3x5m), but i've built a few from scratch and bought flat packed from a few places.

For the smaller sheds like the op is talking about, then the stable making company (chart stables) that supplied my main workshop may be overkill. They are decent section tjmbers and simple to build, plus they will do it for you in the price (i didnt though due to access issues).

My most recent purchase (3x4.7m) was from quick gardens; they sell sheds, cabins, garages, etc. Mine is a shed rather than a cabin (therefore simple construction, budget end if their range) and is the best construction, best timbers and all round nicest of the 3 bought buildings i have, also best value

I've got another by sheds direct and it was cheap for the size, but not so well built (but has been fine for 8 years). Many of the sheds that you see in b&g etc are supplied by them, but going direct is mucn cheaper

I've built a few bits from scratch too, including 1x1m loos (a very small shed on stilts) and a 5x5m extension tk my wirkshop. Building from scratch is cheapest but by far the most time consuming, so it depends on your priorities and skill level. Hence why these days i will build a 1x1m box but buy a proper shed if i want a building

Just my experience of course

Reactions: mowerman

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My neighbour is a builder and he recently built himself a really quite substantial 'shed'. It's definitely opened my eyes to that route.

The last one I built from a kit I opted to get extra roof trusses as I've found that it's an area that was lacking in previous sheds and the roof was the first area to suffer. Walls are easier to patch up!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Currently working on a 7x3m garden office shed thing and these seem great thanks Mary :)
https://www.homebase.co.uk/coroline-black-corrugated-bitumen-roof-sheet-2m_p397258

Yep, that's the stuff I put on top of all my out-buildings now though I get it from my local builder's merchant at about £13 a sheet. I use exterior quality ply under and over the main rafters with insulation between (if the building is to be heated) then the Coroline (other bitumen corrugated sheets are available!) over the top.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
With a preassembled wall panel, tongue and groove system, make sure you place the panels the correct way up.

Not only will a wrongly placed panel let in water, it will rot much quicker.

(Yes I did that, yes it leaked and yeah, it did rot...... :). ) i like plastic corrugated roofs that let in light, I can see better .

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yep, that's the stuff I put on top of all my out-buildings now though I get it from my local builder's merchant at about £13 a sheet. I use exterior quality ply under and over the main rafters with insulation between (if the building is to be heated) then the Coroline (other bitumen corrugated sheets are available!) over the top.

Sounds like a winner :)

"Exterior grade ply" Whats the consensus here? One end being marine ply which is shockingly expensive, to OSB board to...

Sorry for the thread hijack. On the buy a shed or not, i went for not and build. Mainly for cost as i wanted something pretty big.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
regarding the bitumen roofing sheets, I have to disagree. The central section of my main workshop came with it (laid over OSB boards) and to begin with I thought it was great. It's lighter, warmer and quieter (in the rain) than steel, more durable and easier to fit than felt.

However, it has been on there for 9 years and after about 3 years I noticed the problems. It isn't actually waterproof, the stuff absorbs moisture a little , which means that in the winter it freezes and snaps and in the rest of the year when it is raining constantly becomes very heavy and sags over anywhere without support (the ridges have actually flattened in places too!). In the heat of the summer sun, the stuff gets very soft and sags a lot as well as sagging away from the nails that hold it in place, thus opening up holes for water to get in and leading to the OSB getting mould. Oh and because it's a bit porous, moss grows on it like a flipping lawn!

Suffice to say that I will never use it again. The smaller flat packed building came with felt on a flat roof, which is rubbish and has since been recovered with sheet steel.

My preferred roofing material is box profile corrugated steel, with PVC coating but the paint finish is still good. I have a very good manufacturer just down the road, so I can see the stuff up close before ordering. Cladco are the people I get it from. It's durable, not that heavy and you can screw it through insulation board (celotex) and straight to a wooden board roof. So you get waterproof, 25year guarantee, choice of colours, reusable, moss proof, frost proof, sag proof and with the board and celotex underneath quiet too.

On the board front, go for OSB or flooring chipboard. cheap, durable and water resistant. I've found tit stands up much better to constant moisture than exterior ply (the glues are the weak spot). Marine ply is another kettle of very expensive fish though

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sounds like a winner :)

"Exterior grade ply" Whats the consensus here? One end being marine ply which is shockingly expensive, to OSB board to...

Sorry for the thread hijack. On the buy a shed or not, i went for not and build. Mainly for cost as i wanted something pretty big.

I don't go 'marine' simply because built as I've described it only has to deal with moisture not soaking. Marine ply I have only ever used on boats.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
regarding the bitumen roofing sheets, I have to disagree. The central section of my main workshop came with it (laid over OSB boards) and to begin with I thought it was great. It's lighter, warmer and quieter (in the rain) than steel, more durable and easier to fit than felt.

However, it has been on there for 9 years and after about 3 years I noticed the problems. It isn't actually waterproof, the stuff absorbs moisture a little

In which case there must be variations in quality - mine is definitely waterproof and has never suffered from frost cracking or, at that matter, sagging - but it won't laid on top of sheet ply.

I am 100% with you on felt, a total waste of time - lasts 2 seasons at the most (but, again, there are huge variations in quality).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your problems with the Coroline surprise me Dave. I checked around before I bought it because I knew we were re-roofing four sheds with it, and there are neighbours who roofed their wooden garage with it fifteen years past and it was still sound. No cracks, no leaks, no flattening......and our temperatures fluctate wildly....this week alone it's been from -5.8C to +11.5 in a 48 hour period. In Summer, we melt in the high twenties at times too.

I'm hoping our roofs last as long as that on the garage has....it does come with a long guarantee too.

M

p.s. just checked this, and the guarantee is 15 years on both Coroline and the slightly thicker and heavier Onduline.
https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/blog/coroline-and-onduline-corrugated-sheets/

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE