bushcrafters or gear geeks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im sorry but im going to have a bit of a rant

ok this is in reply to many tedious threads about kit, typically gortex V ventile

a while ago i was given a thin nylon waterproof. its made by peter storm and its coated on the inside with a thin layer of rubbery plastic stuff (no idea). i wear it at work as well as for bushcrafty activities and i have never got overly hot and sticky in it even while doing loads of firewood or dismantling trees - trust me that’s hot and sticky work:eek:

ok my jacket nothing fancy, it doesn't cost £200 but it does the job!

im a bit confused by some guys, what do you do to get so unbearably hot and sweaty? have you not heard of layers?:confused: you start to sweat, take a layer off, better still take off layers beforehand. in winter im often in little more than a t-shirt under my coat if working hard.

have some gone soft? you get slightly damp and uncomfortable, its not the end of the world. chances are your in the UK not the arctic so your not going to freeze to death if you sweat a little bit.

don't take this the wrong way but i think many people on here need to lighten up a bit about what kit they have and get down to what’s important in bushcraft - getting out there and doing it!

this applies to axes, tarps etc. not just waterproofs

rant over:)
pete

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Funny how the OP derides the users and the use of Gear, whilst utilizing some of the most sophisticated Gear on Earth, and in orbit, to make his post!
happy0009.gif

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I think the importance or not, of what you wear is only relevant in extreme circumstances. I could, and have gone fell running in next to nothing, vest shorts trainers in the rain, off and on. Because i kept moving i was fine. However if I twisted my ankle, got benighted and it was pissing hypothermia would be right at the front of my list of worries. A bum bag with a packlight jacket in it would in that situation save a life.

Mart.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I think your missing the point tbh there Peter, its not about the latest gucci gear, well alright for some it is. but for most its about what works for them. Each of us are different and our comfort levels vary wildly, where one person will wander out with a duck cotton jacket in the p***ing rain another may need a shell layer that allows them to breathe a bit and not sweat to death and another may need some sort of bubble like barrier that stops rain even coming within feet of them!

personally i don't own much kit that costs a fortune, for the main reason i can't afford it. But for some items i like to spend that extra to make ME comfortable in the bush, you can't really put a price tag on that. so please don't say we're going soft its just that, well we grew up in different environments and what we find comfortable you may not.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I don't think it has anything to do with what people NEED...
The only thing any of us NEED is water, food and shelter.

The fact oif the matter is we live in a consumer society (unfortunately) some ppl will be happy with 'basics' some will always want more or want what is percieved to be the best.
Some want 'the best' but can't afford it, some want it and can afford it so buy it and whatever else they want and others can afford it but don't want it.

Everyone is different, the nice thing with bushcraft is that anyone can do it on any kind of budget.
The even nicer thing is that bushcrafters (most of the time) are always happy to offer advice, help and let novices borrow gear.
Everyone is different but that is what makes us individuals.
Does it really matter if someone wants the best gear or most expensive or even if someone is on a budget. I don't think there is any cause for snobbish behaviour in bushcraft or over kit, just because something is more expensive or deemed to be better, doesn't mean something cheaper or 'inferior' doesn't work.
I've seen some walk around in bin bags before now becaus ethey didn't 'need' waterproofs when they could make their own...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
don't take this the wrong way but i think many people on here need to lighten up a bit

...dont take this the wrong way, but maybe you should take a leaf out of your own book?

If people want to collect gear, why shouldn't they it's their money? They are not hurting you or anyone else.

Relax dude, it's just the internet. :)

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I dont think Peter was trying to say that anyone who buys expensive kit is in the wrong, he maybe just cares deeply about his bushcraft and was trying to point out that some people maybe go on a bit about kit rather than being out there actually in the field bushcrafting.

I myself buy too much kit, but still, to me the most important thing is just being out there doing my thing.

It does amaze me how upset people can get when someone challenges their way of life and how they operate. Maybe the guy had a bad day and just wanted a rant, as he said, so why dont we all just chill out...

P.S Nobody had better rant at me for defending him - i might cry (im one of the softies hes talking about)

All the best and have a nice day

Colin

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
There was a lot I wanted to say in response to this thread but decided against it.
For me bushcraft is about surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of ancient skills and knowledge to do so, not about what kit you have and how expensive it is.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
In my case - Bushcrafter AND gear geek. I love being out, I love having comfortable kit and quality tools. I fully recognise that most of my gear is far better than my skills to use it (hence the "big hat, no cattle") but what the hell - it gives me pleasure. Nothing wrong in that.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm in an odd mood today, so I'll add my thoughts into this thread, when I'd normally avoid it like the plague. First of all these comments aren't meant to annoy or insult anyone, they are just my humble opinion, so please take them as such.

Who really cares what other people are talking about? Unless you're out with them it really doesn't effect you in any way. Everyone is built differently, fat thin small and tall, some people sweat more some less, some people are uber fit others can't walk more than a few yards. All these factors will affect their choice of kit, whether it's coats, boots or anything. Some people have a bit of cash to spare, others save up. Some people like having the latest gear, again whether or not it's clothes, ipod, phones, tvs, bikes or cars.

What people do for the love of their hobby shouldn't invite rants or ridicule. Live and let live. If what they like, makes them enjoy what they do, then all the better.

Cheers

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
peter, quick run, they know where you live and are coming to get you!!!!

In conclusion to sum the general opinion on this matter -

LIVE AND LET LIVE

Lets put this one to bed guys, there are to many threads about kit snobs and thrifty diy bushcrafters, each to their own i say, why have a go at someone else for the way they live their lives, there is always something you can learn and take from someone in bushcraft.

Now as for that BEAR GRYLLS - (Only kidding he he!!!!!)

Colin

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a bushcrafter and professional gear geek!
I used to design for such folk as Craghoppers, have written books on DIY clothing and equipment, still write gear review columns for national magazines (and have done for years!) and the majority of my income comes from gear geekiness!

You should be paying me to contribute to such threads - but I do it for the love of being a gear geek!:)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I need one of these. :D

I assume you're talking about the umbrella Thing not the girl? :) Otherwise, that's two of us!

I find that my fortunes come and go in cycles. When I have no money I can make do with very basic gear; when I have some I tend to buy the best quality I can justify knowing that it will outlast and out perform the cheap stuff and see me through the downturns. However, I must admit, I always stay clear of buying 'names' for names sake.

Broch

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm a Bushcrafter and a gear geek.

got a problem with it?:rant:

surely does it really matter, as long as it get's people out and about.

who cares....I don't I enjoy bushcraft and I enjoy finding and using new kit.
If i wasn't into bushcraft I'd be into survival, if not that, wilderness camping if not that backwoods camping...etc etc.

get a life:rant:

find something useful to moan about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE