Bushcraft UK Map

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
After reading the posts about locations and thinking it was a good idea,
but we might up having 20 threads on the go "Anyone near XXX, want to meetup?"

Would be great if we could knock up a map of the UK and have everyone plotted onto it. have it tied into the board database to put people in as the register.......... but that's a stupidly hard idea.

Could do it as an image and change it as people reg.. but i don't fancy putting 300 dots on a map myself ;)

What would help is if everyone could fill in their location info on their profiles, then we could look at the member list and sort by location, lot of blanks in there at the mo.

Just an idea :)

--------------- update ------------------
After moving this, i had another think about how to do it.
I don't think i'll be able to tie it into the board database, but i might be able to knock up a dynamic map with everyone's location on it, that would having dots on it in the right position.
Would only be a UK map (Sorry the rest of you..... is bushcraftUK tho ;) )

Sound like it's worth a crack Tony ?
Everyone would need to ensure their location info was up to date though.

Cheers
Carlo

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
If you have OS grid refs, I can put them in Excel and output to Autoroute or Memory Map (this is one is used for Geocaching)

map.jpg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well I don't wanna put a downer on this as I think it's a good idea, but I think I would rather have my town on the map, not the post code/grid reference of my house.
It's just I would rather not have it sat there for anyone to see. :-|

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Don't get too worried about it all yet.

I've knocked up a quick test for Tony to look at, but it basically uses pixel positions based off a large UK map image.
Intergrating it into some kind of postcode reader / plotted would be very hard (plus i think you have to pay lots to have the postcode list with co-ordinates etc).
We'll see how it goes :)

I'm the meantime though, anyone who would want to be on it, should fill in their location info on their profiles.

Cheers
Carlo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Don't worry.... you wont be forgotten.... Just make sure you have filled in your location in your profile. I've seen the map and its looks realy good... when giancarlo is happy with it and all works as its supposed to, all the members locations will be added and it will then be put up on the web :)

Ed

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Cheers Ed,
Just to let you know, It's not forgotten, I think it's all done to be honest and Tony seems pleased with it.
Only thing is that it's currently written in ASP, and we currently only support PHP on here, so i'll need to convert it.... just have to learn PHP first :)
I was going to leave it until we get the new server and see what we can do then. Otherwise i might try find a decent free ASP host.

I might post the link to the current area soon, if i can sort something out with Tony first.

Cheers
Carlo

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
It's live!

Ok after a recent spurt back on this, i've managed to get it into some kind of finished state.

This is bascially how it works:

Viewing:
The first page displays all the currently "authorised" (i'll get back to that) members / schools.

If you click on a item, it will bring back a list of the members/schools within a 50 mile radius.

I've added a few of you already in there, but the main idea is that people add themselves.

You can add yourself, by following the "add" link at the bottom, or clicking on the "add" link in the results menu.

Adding:

If you wish to add yourself to the list, all you need to do is double click on your location on the map and fill in your "member name" and "location".
(The X and Y co-ords should auto fill after the double click.)

nb. Since there is no easy member update system, please make sure your information is correct before submission.

After all the information has been entered, simply hit the a "add" button and you should be redirected to the pending page.

In order to make sure the system is not abused, all requests to be added will be authorised by a moderator prior to appearing on the map.

I think that's about it... have a look and see.

http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/map/

Any problems / suggestions / removal requests, then please PM me.

Cheers :)
Carlo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE