Bushcraft/survival training jobs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
ive been looking into becoming an instructor but the places ive looked want me to attend courses they run and i have to pay,is there a way to get a job in survival /bushcraft without having to pay fees.Or better still does anyone have any jobs in this line of work or something similar .

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm having the same idea/dream as you have. becoming an instructor of some sort that teaches or shows other people things about nature, outdoor sports, primitive skills, etc.

Can you tell me something more about yourself and why you want to be an instructor?

The way I see it, is that if you really want to be an instructor you must have been orientating yourself on the subject now for many years or months and you know exactly why you want to become one. of course you have participated in some courses and maybe gave some courses or workshops. you know what interests you about the profession and what doesn't. and you're almost sure wether this outdoor thing is something you want to do professionally or just as a hobby. finally if you have come this far it's no problem at all spending money as an investment in your future as outdoor instructor. If most of these things apply to you, then you would not ask the question you have asked on this forum.

Don't get me wrong. Above might sound a bit harsh or unfriendly to you. but it is a realistic view of how I see it. And I'm defenately not trying to demotivate you in becoming an outdoor instructor. in fact. I think it's great that you know what you want to do in the near future and that you're motivated to do so. it's also great you're taking action in achieving your goal. keep it up!

I do think though that becoming an outdoor instructor without investing any money won't get you where you want to be. No education is free. Schools and universities also charge you, if you want education. where the money comes from is a diffirent question. So I don't think it's weird at all that outdoor companies ask you participate on their courses first to become an instructor afterwards. they earn cold hard cash with that to keep their companies running and they know what and who you are before they take you in as an employee. for you it's an investment that can be earned back.

Please tell me more about who you are, what you do and what it exactly is that you expect in a job as instructor. Taku adventures might be something for you, but... it costs money. a lot. of money. Yes, that is the downside. about 6000 pounds. The upside is, that it's an education agknowledged by the government. and it might be a ticket to solicitate to outdoor companies all over the world. check it out. it might help you. http://www.takuadventures.nl/can/egids.html

I hope that you find your way to becoming a guide or instructor. They company is dutch and some things might not be translated. if you need any translation or more info or anything else. just pm me or post it and I'll see what I can do. good luck.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ah, but the first people to start the schools up probably didn't know anything other than from their own experience and maybe watching outdoors type programmes on the telly and reading a few books. Don't get me wrong, I think the schools are a good idea for people who have loads of money to throw at their hobby, I know I won't be going on their courses anytime soon as I can't see the point. I just think the prices are a bit unrealistic. Saying that, they are all booked up so somebody must think it is worth it.

Basically, if you wanted to start up without people trying to take advantage and pry money out of your pockets, you should have started five or ten years ago.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It would be worth waiting to see if others have thoughts on this. I don't think it's a good idea just to start a school, especially as it sounds like you want to learn some more bushcraft. There's plenty of meets where people can go and learn and share knowledge, they're worth getting along to.

The reason that courses cost is because people have to earn a living and their living is passing on knowledge and skills, they also have business overheads. Established schools lie to take on competent instructors that fit in with their business so they can hit the ground running. You might find a local bushcraft business that will take you on if you give your time for free, on the other hand they will still need to insure you and probably invest time in building your skills, which a lot of them don't have.

You need to look into it a lot more before you jump to any decisions. Just my 2p worth

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
the reason i dont want to pay for training is the fact i am broke not working and looking for work that i actually know something about.£6000 is out of the question, the problem with "bushcraft" is everyone thinks throwing money at it is the best option,be it courses equipment or clothing when in actual fact experiance of outdoor living is what u really need
theres no way im gonna pay to do a course where u learn flint and steel fire making and shelter building as i cant justify the finantial outlay of learning skills i already know.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
If you have a military background you will have a better chance, maybe get some work in with the TA , When im older and hopefully leave the forces alive i would like to become an instructor, or as my dream would be instructing survival techniques to the military, their is a few gym owners i know who organise hiking trips or camping trips in the woods for their members, they do pretty well on that,maybe put up advertising and do a few trips, and you will have the experince behind you

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
the reason i dont want to pay for training is the fact i am broke not working and looking for work that i actually know something about.£6000 is out of the question, the problem with "bushcraft" is everyone thinks throwing money at it is the best option,be it courses equipment or clothing when in actual fact experiance of outdoor living is what u really need
theres no way im gonna pay to do a course where u learn flint and steel fire making and shelter building as i cant justify the finantial outlay of learning skills i already know.

I couldn't agree more. I didn't learn any of my survival or bushcraft skills in the forces. Only a few specific units do that sort of thing. Everything I have learnt has been from books and watching others, either in real life or on TV. I am not paying somebody for the privelidge of sitting in a wood and re-learning something I already know.

If you have a military background you will have a better chance, maybe get some work in with the TA , When im older and hopefully leave the forces alive i would like to become an instructor, or as my dream would be instructing survival techniques to the military, their is a few gym owners i know who organise hiking trips or camping trips in the woods for their members, they do pretty well on that,maybe put up advertising and do a few trips, and you will have the experince behind you

I saw an advert for a bushcraft instructor with one of the schools. Can't remember which one, but you needed some sort of Mountain Leader qualification, First Aid obviously, you needed to be able to supply a large amount of crafts that you have made yourself ranging from a large amount of cordage to fish hooks, baskets and pots, and God knows what else. All good skills I suppose and it proves that you want to do it, but there was a selection process of three days or so, and so you could go through all of that and get told no thanks, you're not what we are looking for. Military experience never really came into it.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Insurance and (public liability and indemnification) only taking over 18s is the first hugely financial hurdle for you. Risk asessments etc.

Volunteer work for a Ranger type job may be a good starting point.

You will not get an Outdoor Pursuits job without plenty of qualifications.

Nick

£6000 is alot for bushcraft training??????

I have just booked myself on the Vildmark and WEISS course and paid about £1300 in total.

I totally agree with not throwing money at skills you can practice on your own,the reason why i am going to Sweden is more for the country and the WEISS course (the Vildmark being used as a warm up for the old noggin:D ).

Mastering the firebow or skinning a rabbit are skills that you can learn by reading threads here and then putting that knowledge into practise.

As for jobs in Bushcraft,i think that about 90% of members here would love to be teaching the very skills that light that fire in their hearts.

Any job is better than no job these days,use it as a means to an end until you get the job of your dreams.Then you can drop your old crappy job like a sack of spuds.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I'll take a different slant on it if I may.

Of course skills and experience in your subject are very important but it's no good teaching something to someone if you haven't got the ability to teach. I think it's vital that you have these skills or obtain them before you think about teaching Bushcraft (or anything for that matter.)

Bushcraft schools rely on word of mouth. There are more of them by the week and competition is hotting up. If the student doesn't have a good 'learning' experience (not talking just a good time) then you're on a loser from the start IMHO.

Pablo.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
ive been looking into becoming an instructor but the places ive looked want me to attend courses they run .

the problem with "bushcraft" is everyone thinks throwing money at it is the best option,be it courses equipment or clothing when in actual fact experiance of outdoor living is what u really need
theres no way im gonna pay to do a course ....

To me this seems odd. Perhaps this is another reason why schools want you to have attended their courses? Perhaps, as well as getting to see your skills, they want to know that you think the cost of a course is worthwhile? I would want to know that any instructor I had believed the course was value for money. An instructor who thought that the trainees would be better of not going on the course might prove to be an embarassment

Just a thought

Red

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"

I disagree cal, military training has nothing to do with bushcraft, if you want to portray as the macho rambo type maybe but it can be off putting for a lot of people. Remember the military emply survival instructors to teach them they only take what they need to know for their specific job. I think it is good to have an understanding of the outdoors in your own area or the area you are going to teach.Knowledge can be bought quickly at a price or gained slowly for free, but in teaching you learn.

I disagree cal, military training has nothing to do with bushcraft, if you want to portray as the macho rambo type maybe but it can be off putting for a lot of people. Remember the military emply survival instructors to teach them they only take what they need to know for their specific job. I think it is good to have an understanding of the outdoors in your own area or the area you are going to teach.Knowledge can be bought quickly at a price or gained slowly for free, but in teaching you learn.

I totally agree.

Having completed the international combat survival instructors course myself i know that only 30% of what you learn has any relevance to civilians.

You do not need to know how to take down tracker dogs,scale chainlink fences or meet up and liase with local friendly agents,nor do you need to know how to tactically cross a river.

Military combat survival is designed to pass on basic knowledge to servicemen and women (usually SF or aircrew) in the quickest possible time.The majority of students have never even camped out before,nevermind skinned a rabbit or set a deadfall trap.

Someone with an interest in bushcraft would find themselves sucking on an egg if they attended a military survival course and would find as i have that some of the info passed on to military students is some what dubious and paints a false image of survival.

Setting snares made out of paracord is not a guaranteed lunch nor is using an issued survival fishing kit.The issued survival wire saws are absolute gash as is the MOD survival knife which is too big and clumsy to be of any real use.

Military survival is geared towards the eventual rescue of the downed pilot,an asset that costs millions of pounds to train.

Bushcraft is more than just surviving,its about living.

IMHO the best military survivalists are the Swedes and the Canuks because their terrain dictates that every serviceman/woman be trained in living out in a harsh climate.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have been looking to book some Bushcraft activities for school and have spoke to a few schools. The one big stumbling block is, there is NO UNIVERSAL STANDARD or QUALIFICATION that exists for instructors of Buschcraft.

The knowledge and skills that instructors pass on can, therefore, vary enormously! I think this is why schools want you to attend THEIR courses - to ensure that you are at least up to their level of ability!

However, I would recommend that you take a Health & Safety Exec approved First Aid course (1st Aid at Work) as some form of First Aid knowledge (backed up by a piece of paper!) is an essential "qualifying" qualification for Outdoor Education type courses such as ML or BELA for example.

As for attending a course and sucking eggs - if you have to DO IT! I attended the BELA course 3 years ago so that I could run D o E expeditions for school. Lesson 1 "How to unfold & fold an OS map" !!!! - I found that during the entire course I learnt nothing new (Prior experience - Scouts / TA / ACF instructor) but I did make some good friends and had the satisfaction of helping some "weaker" members of the course to pass. I now have the "right" piece of paper for my chosen activity!

Hope that helps,

Simon

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm with Pablo in that IMHO the teaching ability ifkey here!

That's not to say the skill isn't important, but the reality is you can have the skill in the world but if you can't convey that skill in a way that other can learn from a school ain't going to be interested.

P

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
im not saying bushcraft courses arent good value but for people who learn something showing me how to do basics is no good to me so id be wasting money
throw me in the woods for a week with a knife and a flint watch me survive lol

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
mmmmmmmmm From the employers point of view!!!

I own an outdoor pursuits company that also teaches "bushcraft" as far as employability goes any amployer wants a potential employee to have a set of skills that they can use within the company and as there is no formal qualificatioin system in bushcraft it is essential that the company has some form of standardisation system, either in the form of a course you pay to go on or through in-house training " which cost the company a considerable amount of money" . My company provides in-house training to all its staff but i only realy employ people with some track record. Either a qualification and relevent experience in some other Outdoor Pursuits or considerable expedition experience. As far spending money on courses as an istructor i have spent more time and money on various qualifcations over the last 20 years that i could of been a Doctor twice over.

My advice is: imho practice your skills untill they are slick and then learn the methods of teaching. Create experiences to practice these teaching techniques and then get some entry level quals in an Outdoor Pursuits that you are interested in. Then send you CV's to the providers you and cross your fingers oh and nag them " you never know". I see applicants weekly who have so much knowledge but ask them to run a session and their inability to teach makes it impossible to employt them. Such a shame but a good teacher can teach people how to breath and make it fun and enlightning, its an art in its self.
I hope this doesnt sound preachy....
Good Luck

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
mmmmmmmmm From the employers point of view!!!

I own an outdoor pursuits company that also teaches "bushcraft" as far as employability goes any amployer wants a potential employee to have a set of skills that they can use within the company and as there is no formal qualificatioin system in bushcraft it is essential that the company has some form of standardisation system, either in the form of a course you pay to go on or through in-house training " which cost the company a considerable amount of money" . My company provides in-house training to all its staff but i only realy employ people with some track record. Either a qualification and relevent experience in some other Outdoor Pursuits or considerable expedition experience. As far spending money on courses as an istructor i have spent more time and money on various qualifcations over the last 20 years that i could of been a Doctor twice over.

My advice is: imho practice your skills untill they are slick and then learn the methods of teaching. Create experiences to practice these teaching techniques and then get some entry level quals in an Outdoor Pursuits that you are interested in. Then send you CV's to the providers you and cross your fingers oh and nag them " you never know". I see applicants weekly who have so much knowledge but ask them to run a session and their inability to teach makes it impossible to employt them. Such a shame but a good teacher can teach people how to breath and make it fun and enlightning, its an art in its self.
I hope this doesnt sound preachy....
Good Luck

Yes i agree the knowledge can be gained but what use is it if when you try to teach it to others you end up the only one who understands it. The phrase 'those who can do ,those who cant teach' was coined by someone who has never tryed to take a group of adults or kids and pass on knowledge and be able to walk away satisfied that each and every one of them understood it and showed they could use it effectively.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE