Bushcraft / Scout webbing setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've realised that I spend more and more time teaching "bushy " topics to the Scouts, not just mine but across the district and some County events.

With that in mind, I've been looking for a way to orgainise my kit but maintain its functionality. I've tried various bags and packs, but despite my best efforts have never really "gelled" with any of them. So, after much soul searching, I decided on getting myself some webbing...:rolleyes: afterall, I carried it for a few years in service of Queen and country and always managed to keep what I needed to hand then, so why not now?

Despite webbings military heritage, I didn't want something camo so I opted for this from Dragon Supplies...
DSCF0036.jpg

Apart fom the Butt Pack, it has the same size pouches as issue webbing, but these are sewn on to a padded backing with a roll pin belt fastening at the front, making it very comfortable to carry.

In the picture above, the Butt Pack is loaded with a DD 3 x 3 tarp and my new hammock from UKHammocks (see the review soon!), so has more than enough capacity for my usual needs of jacket, hat and gloves etc.

The only difficulty I had was working out how to carry my knife, as there isn't a belt section to loop my sheath onto. As you can see from the picture above, I decided to carry it horizontally, looped onto the webbing straps of the yoke. In this position, I can rest my arms on the front "ammo" pouches and obscure the knife from view with my left arm. If I decide to keep it in that position I'll get a horizontal carry sheath made, so that I don't lose my knife.:yikes:

Anyway, on to the load out...
DSCF0043.jpg

From L to R
Ammo pouch
  • FFD wrapped in a high viz, reflective arm band (FFD pouch on side of ammo pouch)
  • FAK, whistle
  • foil "space blanket"

Ammo pouch
  • Empty today

Utility pouch
  • Ti cook pot packed with Millbank bag and meths burner
  • Brew kit in dry bag
  • Meths
  • Long handled spoon

Butt pack
  • Empty in shot as the hammock was set up!
Utility pouch
  • Water bottle & mug
  • Folding saw

Ammo pouch
  • Strop
  • Sun screen (Factor 50 stick)
  • Insect repellant (Nordic Summer)
  • 3 large zip lock bags
  • Ben Orford crook knive
  • Spork
  • DC4 sharpening stone
  • Heliograph
  • 6m 550 paracord
Ammo pouch
  • Flint & steel fire lighting pouch
  • Decon tub containing Maya sticks, Ferro rod, tinder card, Clipper, strips of old inner tube
Compass pouch (on side of ammo pouch)
  • Torch

I put the above on the scales, with a full water bottle, and it came in at just under 6kg. Once on and adjusted, this weight was barely noticeable, afterall it's a fraction of the weight that this kit was designed to carry.

Simon

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i like it simon alot it an ausome idea but

the only thing i can see as a problem with this kit is that you will be cold because if the hammock and tarp fit in the big pouch the is no room for under blanket
also no room for food now i know this is a teaching kit but by the looks of it you could go out over night with it if you had an underblanket or roll mat and food but a day bag of 30 litres wood solve these problems

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Drew, the hammock and tarp would normally be carried in a daysac with underblanket etc.

This would mean the Butt pack load is changeable to suit what I'm doing...coat & hat, packed lunch, whatever; whereas everything else is in the webbing on a full time basis.

Simon

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I must admit that I'm drawn to the modular aproach, it seems like a good idea all together to me. I do tend to have it poked in the top of my pack and use it when I arrive rather than wear it all the time but that looks like a good system!
Cheers
Louis

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That's a lovely set of webbing! I like the design for the female section of the side release clips on the butt pack too- i can see those a lot easier to close with one hand. That said, I'm not sold on the idea of webbing for bushcraft- but you certainly aren't alone in utilising it!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Drew- oneof the cheapest makes for this type of webbing (often called airborne webbing) where the pouches are stitched direct to the hippo pad is by a brand called disciple (you can google it to find a few sellers, including Strikeforce). It will still cost you about £100, and will be in multicam only. A cheaper option would be to get the old early 90's issue olive green plce, and add a hippo pad yourself behind the pouches to increase the comfort. A well set up set of PLCE will be as comfortable as the airborne type, but will likely be a touch heavier.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i went to a place called 'troopers' in colchester and saw the tailoring guys at work and saw the webbing sets they were producing were of an exceptionally high standard. i understande that the dragon stuff is based on the troopers stuff.
love the belt kit in the op, b ut would have ditched one of the ammo pouches for another utility pouch.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Looks comfortable and versatile. But if you carry it with a daysack (30L?), doesn't the bottom of the sack hit the top of the butt pack? There's no way I could wear that belt and still use my Sabre 35.

By the way, any chance you could post some photos of the setup (+ daysack) while wearing it? :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I've experimented with this alot, my sdetup at the moment is a chinese Maxpedition Sabrecat clone with added pouches and a yoke. Really modular and allows me to clip a PLCE sidepouch on to carry sleepbag etc.

If anyone does want to try Webbing I have an excellent set of '72 pattern for sale. Very comfy and holds enough for an overnighter. I've had a tent and sleeping bag in the utility pouch!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Looks comfortable and versatile. But if you carry it with a daysack (30L?), doesn't the bottom of the sack hit the top of the butt pack? There's no way I could wear that belt and still use my Sabre 35.

By the way, any chance you could post some photos of the setup (+ daysack) while wearing it? :)

Webbing is often carried by squaddies with a daysac / bergan, and is designed to sit below the waist for this reason, so isn't really a problem.

As I'm curently packing for Summer Camp, and just happen to have a daysac (Lowe Alpine Sabre 35) to hand with overnight gear...
  • 3 x 3 tarp,
  • bivi bag, sleeping bag
  • washkit
  • spare socks
  • book
  • food
...here is the photo you requested.
GivePeasaChance.jpg

Whilst it looks close, I couldn't feel the daysac on the weebing at all.

Simon

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks Simon! The webbing sits lower than I expected. Looks like a nice combo.

I guess the waist strap on the Lowe Alpine is useless in this setup? And isn't it annoying to wear four shoulder straps?

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Oh dear. I'm so impressed with all this webbing that I can see me draining my bank balance for yet more kit; all in the quest of perfection. Simon's setup looks really comfortable.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
The dragon kit is nice, they also do different pouch set ups. I've got two sets, one in the same brown - for 'civvie' use and one in DPM for 'military' use both with an extra utility pouch instead of one of the pairs of ammo pouches.

I'd second what Simonm has said, you can fit enough kit in the belt order for a good 24hrs use (it's a bit rough though!) but combined with a day sack - mines a 45ltr one, you can pack more than enough kit for a comfy weekend in 'the green'

A company called 'Dixies Corner' also do a good range of belt order etc and they will make custom alterations to bergans, webbing & jackets - although it does add the cost!! (not connected to them, only as a customer!)

Den

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As an ex -squaddie I don't see any reason why we shouldn't us webbing, after all it works! Easy as!
Yeah I get the thoughts of some people when they see someone walking around in DPM but afterall who cares as long as you feel OK yourself. Personally I would go for a set that isn't DPM (mine is Coyote Brown). Can't fault it. A set of webbing and a 30-40lt daysack will deffo do me for a w/end.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Thanks Simon! The webbing sits lower than I expected. Looks like a nice combo.

I guess the waist strap on the Lowe Alpine is useless in this setup? And isn't it annoying to wear four shoulder straps?

Back in the day , I used to carry kit like this for hours / days, so I guess I'm used to having 2 pairs of shoulder straps.

Having said that, it is still comfy as the webbing yoke is so wide the daysac straps just sit on top of it, not your shoulders.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE