Bushcraft SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 9, 2010
Manchester
Hey guys, this is my first thread and i was just wondering. If victorinox were to phone you up tomorrow and ask you to design a Bushcraft swiss army knife for them what tools would you pick? You can pick existing tools and you can also create your own but they have to be realisitic

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
An embedded, good compass and a spirit level bubble - there is room in the casing perhaps - ? I love the existing pliers and scissors .. and etc.

They could work on the weight - perhaps the casing could be made of much lighter material like titanium or anodized aluminum for example. The tools need to be steel. But would there be a problem with two different metals in close contact - and would lighter (but strong) metals change the handling?

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Well adding firesteel to bacside aint bad idea,and some have done it by themselfs,and i mean now rod type,not any flint strikers.

Id want it to be in the bigger size too,in size of lets say oh trekker.
good saw
one good whittling blade
compass sunked in handles
phillips screwdriver on backside too
one simple,rather big,4-7mm flat screwdriver if any of that type OR better yet,chisel instead of flat driver(as in their multiools).
Good awl / spike with hole for thread,for coarse sewing and punching holes into leather etc.

and locking tools,atleast the main blade should indeed lock.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
it could be done as an all-in-one carving tool which contains a few different sized carbon steel locking blades and spoon knives etc.
for bushcraft... decent saw, good carbon steel lock knife, spork, torch, in-built jet flame lighter/ferro rod and striker (for the slightly more traditional folk)... dunno what else...

Apr 9, 2010
Manchester
i think i have finally come up with mine; a large locking blade, integrated compass, can opener with chisel/large flathead screwdriver on top, small blade, awl with sewing eye, firesteel, tweezers, toothpick and a saw

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Although it's a nice idea and an interesting concept, I think a bushcraft model would soon get crudded up and be unusable.

My Champion goes everywhere with me but apart from the magnifying glass, tweezers and scissors, oh yes and the saw and occasionally the main blade and now and again the awl and.............

Sorry, carry on.:eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd take a Ranger 57 and swap the silly curved blade for a small whittling blade. I'd add a gripper for a replaceable 4mm ferro rod (slot in like the toothpick) and add the tweezers

The ranger is almost all the knife I need most of the time - one hand open locking blade of proper Bushy size, bigger saw than most SAKs, tin opener etc. it does need the little blade though.

I wonder if anyone could make me one up....and a pouch...with a firesteel, small compass and silver grip tweezers....

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
To be honest, the problem with a Bushcraft SAK for me is that I would not use one. They do not make anything as good as my Leatherman.

That said I like the Huntsman, it is my EDC carry. Note the lack of lock on the blades. The second I can carry something with a locking blade, the Leatherman, or Mora come out to play.

If I could make my own SAK I would get rid of the screwdrivers, and have a leatherman style bit holder. I am amazed they have not ripped this off yet.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I really like my alox farmer. Perfect... or at least it was until my mate snapped the tip off prying wood apart... So I more or less stopped using it, and now i've got the confidence to reshape the tip I cant find the blighter! Also had a trekker, but found I wasn't using it as I favoured the smaller size of the farmer, so I gave it to a friend who is really into outdoor stuff but didn't have a decent knife. Now he's got a clipper and a spoon knife too!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
wenger_giant_swiss_army_knife_2.jpg

Seriously though... I like the hunter, pretty much a bushcraft SAK

hunter-pocket-knife.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE