Bushcraft or re-enactment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The title says it all, is it now bushcraft or has it gone over to re-enactment?

I'm not having a pop at anyone, but the more I look around and see the bushcraft 'uniform' become standard the more it looks like a re-enactment hobby to me. The standard trousers and safari shirts worn by many look like a still shot from Stewart Granger in 'King Salomon's Mines' and that is before the bushcraft hat is donned.

I talked to two mates recently, one from Norway and one from New Zealand and to their eyes UK bushcraft is fast becoming a bit of a joke; people dressed in many pounds (hundreds sometimes) worth of kit camping within walking distance of their car, carting bloody great cast iron pans to knock up a stew in etc.

This hobby is fast becoming silly to some, and again, I'm not taking a pop, but I don't know what to make of it anymore.

Am I just seeing things from the wrong angle or have some gone so far up their own ***** they can't see the light any longer?

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
The "bushcraft lifestyle"? :D

I guess I would have to differentiate between bushcraft and survivalism. As long as you have "reality" programs about contrived survival situations, you are going to have some folks turning it into a "style statement". It's a hoot to me to see how many guys take their HD camcorders out into the "back forty" to memorialize making a campfire and then post the results. Bushcraft to me has always incorporated knowledge, technique, and material from primitive to modern. I know how to "spark" up a fire, but not until the BIC lighter is empty, thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
None of us need to do "bushcraft" as such so I guess we are all playing soldiers or re-enacting but it's only a hobby so who cares ?

I don't have a problem with folk spending money on good kit, it's the same for any hobby isn't it ?

Some of the guys on here are genuinely active in what I'd call a bushcraft life, those who live in the sticks like Mary probably tick a couple of the boxes everyday. And then there's all the instructors who lurk on here.

Maybe it is a fashion statement to have the latest ventile or carbon blade but the good thing about this site is folk recommend good gear to others. Maybe we are sheeples but our gear will last.

You should remind your mates where a lot of our top name gear comes from afterall, Norway and New Zealand spring to mind without a doubt.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmmmm - see the light......explain "the light".... are you talking Fenix or pine tar flambeaux here?
How much does a wool blanket cloak/poncho cost compared to a down jacket?
or a hobo stove compared to a ...whatever the "latest and best" stove is?
Street fashion shirts and trousers boast a nillion and one pockets, as do many trekking shirts and trousers...
Are you advocating titanium cookwear over cast iron? - I know what I prefer to cook in for best results (and versitility)
And for those past their active prime, what is wrong with camping only a short way from transport?
As to "re-enactment" surely Bushcraft is an "enactment" - of the life one wants to live for many....if only the morgage/kids/job etc did not get in the way.
Bushcraft is a very broad church, which can accomodate many tastes from "survivalist" to family camper, "wannabe Rambo" to "tree hugger", modern day Celtic warrior to Hi Tech Hero, forager to instant mash man - and all points in between!
It all comes down to enjoying the outdoors in whareverway you are comfortable in, hopefully in a non destructive, peacable manner, accepting that no two people are identical and have their own dreams.

Gailainne

Life Member
'm not having a pop at anyone,..................still shot from Stewart Granger in 'King Salomon's Mines' ......UK bushcraft is fast becoming a bit of a joke; people dressed in many pounds (hundreds sometimes) worth of kit................this hobby is fast becoming silly.......................I'm not taking a pop............................have some gone so far up their own ***** they can't see the light any longer?

No your not having a pop !:rolleyes:

Out of the hundreds of members on this site, there are a few who are dedicated, the rest of us play at it, its a hobby, a way to unwind from a stressful week at work. Deal with it.

:beerchug:

Stephen

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
What is it exactly you want from a site with the name 'Bushcraft UK'!?
A private ,rye smile to yourself or with yer mates at the excesses of some is understandable ( I'm guilty of it myself!) but ,as has been said,its peoples hobby
most,if not all of the kit is functionable and it needn't be expensive (have you seen John Fennas book!?)
Peace .
Chris.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Live and let live. There's nothing you can do to change peoples minds, so why bother? Are they hurting you? I haven't ever heard it said that you need expensive kit, it's something usual defined by:
A) Comfort levels
B) Kit junkyism

If people feel they have to buy lots of expensive kit because of comfort levels, then so be it, it's nobody's fault and it's not really any of your business. I don't get it for some people, others have problems such as bad joints, arthritis et cetera which may demand lightweight kit, possibly a seat, warmer clothing, generally kit that makes things easier done. I have a few joint problems, none of which affect my kit choice, but that's because I'm happy doing what I enjoy regardless of how physically comfortable I am. As long as I've got clothes on my back, something to cut with (though I am more picky in regards to cutting tools), something to keep the rain off me and something to carry it all in, I'm happy. If it's sunny or rainy, I wear a hat - I don't have any jackets with a hood, I wear glasses and I don't like having a wet head, it's not a fashion statement. In case you can't tell, I am one of the people who goes for dirt cheap kit wherever possible. I just need a cheap, good poncho with eyelets and ties, now...

As for kit junkys, eh. I have a thing for knives, I would love to have hundreds of lovely knives of every possible combination of handle material, handle shape, blade profile, grind, et cetera, but I can't afford it. If people can, so what? People collect stamps, insects, wrapping paper, carrier bags, and I'm pretty sure that knives, cast iron pans and tents are more useful to a bushcrafter than any of those.

I admit, I sometimes wonder what people do with all the kit they have, but frankly it's none of my business, either.

Pete

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
If the people who frequent this site and many others like it, and enjoy the uncomplicated company of friends around a camp fire , etc, are such a JOKE to you maybe its time to flog off your kit ( which im sure contains its fair share of designer/ branded names) and find another pastime that doesnt result in you being tarred with same brush as us "jokes". im sure that someone of your high expectations can find or even invent a hobby that can be undertaken without the need to involve other people .I have never judged a fellow bushcrafter by the jacket they wear or the stove they use or knife they carry, brand names or budget never made up for experience if someone wants to spend their earnings on something theyve had their eye on for ages , good for them.
Its a strange coinsidence that each time i read a heated thread on here, youre usually pretty close to ground zero. Accept it that all are different and entitled to be so .
And to close , who gives a **** what Jonny foreigner thinks about how we do things here!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
When i have spare cash i buy something ive been after for a while, but when not able to afford in between time i make do with what ive got, im far from a bushcrafter in the ''Mears''
sense, im a camper who doesnt use camp sites, and rarely uses tents, likes piece and quite,and likes to try differant methods of doing things and this site best suits me.
In other words i do how i please, and like this site.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmmmm - see the light......explain "the light".... are you talking Fenix or pine tar flambeaux here?
Street fashion shirts and trousers boast a nillion and one pockets, as do many trekking shirts and trousers...
Are you advocating titanium cookwear over cast iron? - I know what I prefer to cook in for best results (and versitility)
And for those past their active prime, what is wrong with camping only a short way from transport?
As to "re-enactment" surely Bushcraft is an "enactment" - of the life one wants to live for many....if only the morgage/kids/job etc did not get in the way.
Bushcraft is a very broad church, which can accomodate many tastes from "survivalist" to family camper, "wannabe Rambo" to "tree hugger", modern day Celtic warrior to Hi Tech Hero, forager to instant mash man - and all points in between!
It all comes down to enjoying the outdoors in whareverway you are comfortable in, hopefully in a non destructive, peacable manner, accepting that no two people are identical and have their own dreams.

:35: :notworthy :35: :notworthy :35: :notworthy

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
The title says it all, is it now bushcraft or has it gone over to re-enactment?

I'm not having a pop at anyone, but the more I look around and see the bushcraft 'uniform' become standard the more it looks like a re-enactment hobby to me. The standard trousers and safari shirts worn by many look like a still shot from Stewart Granger in 'King Salomon's Mines' and that is before the bushcraft hat is donned.

I talked to two mates recently, one from Norway and one from New Zealand and to their eyes UK bushcraft is fast becoming a bit of a joke; people dressed in many pounds (hundreds sometimes) worth of kit camping within walking distance of their car, carting bloody great cast iron pans to knock up a stew in etc.

This hobby is fast becoming silly to some, and again, I'm not taking a pop, but I don't know what to make of it anymore.

Am I just seeing things from the wrong angle or have some gone so far up their own ***** they can't see the light any longer?

Rik I dont see how you can write a post like that and then justify it by saying I am not having a pop! I guess you just like to stir things up, pretty sad really.
You really do seam to have a problem with a certain bushcraft group please leave your backhand coments out, at the moment I enjoy the positive atitude of this site.

Mark

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
:thanks:

very eloquently put. Couldn't agree more. Thanks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well now Rik,

as far as I recall to you its all "just camping" anyway?

Surely "Just camping" involves carrying things from the car? I've certainly seen photos of your pot stands and enormous pots, your references to tinned foods,etc.

Cart all that for thirty miles in your pack did you?

Thought not!

Red

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
What dothey call it, flaming or trolling on forums to stir up and anger member?

Simply put, I don't like the term bushcraft but when I have to explain why I spent the weekend living in the woods it's a catch all term. That and saying "like ray mears does" helps people to understand.

There is like any other pasttime persued by many, arm chair enthusiasts with all the kits and books. That's how they enjoy it and it's fine by me. Although taking the camcorder and documenting a fire in your backyard is a little baffling. But these can be the mears of the future developing their skills. We should always be inclusive not exclusive all and everyone welcome.

This way we can educate and help ourselves and others to enjoy and work with the environment rather than control or destroy it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make kit for both.
Trust me on this, the Bushcrafters wear theirs all year long. Re-enactors (a few professionals aside) only wear theirs for events.

I think for many it's a lifestyle choice, a quiet way of being in touch with the reality of the natural world around us.
Re-enactor's, as a general rule aren't all that interested. They like the history and learning how to make things but they train and play in groups.
Most bushcrafters move around either on their own or with a couple of friends. That's why the Meets and the Moot are such a show of kit, from the most basic to the most expensive; it's a chance to see what's out there, maybe try it, refine personal choice.

Maybe it's the company you keep; many of the foreign re-enactor groups spend several weeks at a time living as though they were genuinely resident in the past........the German native American groups for instance. Not such a feature of re-enacting in the UK.
Folks here mostly try to get to as many events as possible through the Summer and Autumn.

Oh and I echo what everyone else has said :D :appprove:

cheers,
Toddy

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
why do some people have to define everything and put us all into little boxes. we all live the way we can afford to, and generally speaking that includes our hobbies. There is insufficient hunting in this country for the fulltime backwoodsman to survive so I guess we are all renacting our dreams in our own way. That is our choice and our right. bushcraft is a general term that includes many diciplines we don't all have to embrace all of them.I hunt fish, and make wine, I bake my own bread in a breadmaker, so what. Each to their own, in their own way. It really is no business of anyone else what you do, how you do it or why. If the site is so full of people who don't match up to your expectations then maybe you are on the wrong site. Good luck with wherever you end up.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i have to agree, buying a ventile jacket worth £200 just to walk a short distance from the car just to sit under a tarp. spending £50 on an axe just to split some wood. spending £150 on a knife just to carve a spoon. getting all this top notch kit then using it on such a small scale in my opinion is pointless and a bit sad:eek: im not saying i dont do those things but i get the impression that people are just buying stuff just for the sake of it. but hey, its not my money their wasting!

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE