Bushcraft Meet in Aberdeenshire 2009?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Hi there

I saw some discussion on a thread regarding a meet in Aiberdeenshire...didn't seem to get off the ground, but if you know of any one local, or visiting, who might still be up for it....?

Bennachie area is good, with a 'wild camping' area at the back o' Bennachie; best to check with FC though.

Glen Tanar is a good, although justifiably popular, place to camp...they have fire places at both of their camping areas. very popular for D of E expeds though so might be best to wait until after the season is over.

What d'yall think? Any interest? Any other suggestions?

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
I too read about the possible Aberdeenshire meet but it seemed to have faded to the background.

I may be interested in a meet however I am still only a beginner.

I'm a bushcraft beginner too, but have a fair bit of outdoors pursuits experience from years of hill walking, bothying, wild camping, Nordic skiing etc etc. I organise Adventure Training and D of E expeds for young people and for that reason would be happier to take a back seat in the organisation of anything 'bushcrafty' up here. Having said that, I'd be willing to pitch in and help out if somebody else was to take the lead.

It'd be nice to just get together around a camp-fire with a few like-minded individuals, sometime before the winter, and just 'shoot the breeze', 'chew the fat' or whatever seems right at the time. It would also be very nice to be oot camping without needing to think about consent forms, route cards, risk assessments etc. I've just bought a hammock & tarp and want to see if I can cope with them without ending up in a tangle of webbing and nylon on the deck lol.

What do y'all think about late September? I could check with the Glen Tanar rangers as to the availability of their excellent camping area, but we'd maybe have to set a limit on the numbers.

Let me know folks! ;)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey folks,
I would certainly be interested if there is a place and depending on dates.

and congratulations kiltedpic

CBJ

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
I'd be interested too, dates depending... baby due in 7 weeks!

Congratulations KiltedPict; hope all goes well...if we maybe left it until after September/October, most D of E Groups are finished with expeds and the Glen Tanar area should be less busy (...and Kilted Pict may be glad of a 'quiet' night lol). I'm happy to book the site as I have the contacts already but, as I explained before, I'm just lookin' for a blether around a camp-fire...don't want to get involved with organisin' anything specific. Feel free to organise something, or just go with the flow; at any rate, it'll be good to meet some 'bushcrafty folk' just to say hello. ;)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Cheers guys, can't wait till he/she is old enough to start coming out camping with me- I have a lot to learn yet so that I may teach.....

Glen Tanner for a bit of "Bushcraft TV", meet some of you guys and have a chat sounds perfect to me.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Cheers guys, can't wait till he/she is old enough to start coming out camping with me- I have a lot to learn yet so that I may teach.....

As soon as possible is usually the best option. My daughter was a few weeks old her first trip (very portable at that stage)

I'd be interested in coming along, dates dependant, as long as its not a boys only club!

:cool:

Ironside

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2008
New Deer, Aberdeenshire
This would be great and a chance to meet some of you and hopefully get some tips and advice for a newbie such as myself.
The FC(S) run bushcraft courses at Pitfichie Forest (Bennachie) so this could be another location.

The quote below is from Fred Gordon, I think it links with the extract in the first post!

"Best palce is to have a look at the Back O' Bennachie car park area. There are toilets there, open during the season, and a few good streams about. Be discrete about where you camp and you shouldn't have a problem. Forestry Commission (Scotland) aren't over keen but remember the RESPONSIBLE element of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and you should be OK. If you want to check with FC(S) then phone 01466 794161 PM me if you want more info."

September/October would be good, can't manage August.

Later Days

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is there any member in the Aberdeenshire area who is prepared to co-ordinate a Meet ?

It's not complicated and you are not responsible for anyone else's safety or behaviour.
Basically it's everyone's own responsibility to act safely, to behave in a reasonable manner, to clear up behind themselves and leave nothing but thanks behind.

The previous Meets are usually done by someone going for a recce, and if the site is suitable, contacting the landowner, the local authority, Ranger Service or whoever oversees the property.

If permission is granted (remember a group this size is way outside the remit of responsible right of access ) sort out and note the nearest water sources, car parking and access routes.

Check that the site is suitable for open fires (we can bring group sized firebowls if needed ) and suss out the firewood situation.

f they are available, arrange access to the loos for simplicity. If no loos, sort out either a latrine point or an area for trowel use.

If the site asks for a fee, be upfront, explain that this is a group of varied individuals from different areas and might not all be free on the day, best laid plans and all that. Ask for a total fee if possible, and if not, a daily camp fee per person.
Don't make yourself responsible for collecting this but suggest the honour system and state clearly on the forum how much everyone is expected to contribute.

That's it really, tell us where and when, and await incoming bodies :D

I've been to a fair number of Meet ups, and without exception, they've all been good :cool:
It's not a party, it's a, "Hello :) Who are you ? Kettle's on.... and a busy day eventually followed by usually a communal meal, and later a dram and a blether around the fire to end the evenings off", kind of thing.

Anybody up for it ?

cheers,
Toddy

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Ahem !

Sincerely doubt it will be :D

cheers,
Toddy.........aka, Mary:)
Didn't think it would be Mary, would be good if you were there :D

I was up Glen Tanner yesterday, the campground was a hive of activity. A scout group were in with fire going, bell tents all around and various camp gadgets being constructed.
I have to say I think its a perfect setting. I'd much prefer it to Benachie.
If Dingus Magee is happy to book the site and arrange the date, I'm sure there will be plenty takers. I'd do it myself but comitments at the moment mean I can't be definate about anything more than two weeks in advance.

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Didn't think it would be Mary, would be good if you were there :D

I was up Glen Tanner yesterday, the campground was a hive of activity. A scout group were in with fire going, bell tents all around and various camp gadgets being constructed.
I have to say I think its a perfect setting. I'd much prefer it to Benachie.
If Dingus Magee is happy to book the site and arrange the date, I'm sure there will be plenty takers. I'd do it myself but comitments at the moment mean I can't be definate about anything more than two weeks in advance.

OK...I'll be up at Glen Tanar in a week or so and will ask the ranger as regards the situation for an 'off-season' bushcrafty type meet. If he is agreeable, I'll book a date some time in October and we can take it from there. I don't think that there would be a charge, but they would want to know how many people would be dossin' there. My main worry would be that there would be a vast influx of campers and that the site, as well as the 'trowel area', would become packed and unpleasant. I have no wish, or right, to be 'elitist' or to turn folk away, but how can we ensure that numbers are kept to a reasonable level? I rely upon the goodwill of this estate to continue to be allowed to take groups there.

DM ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE