Bushcraft Killed the Mora 911. Bonus Mora firecraft!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Just a Mora knife rant and bonus Mora firecraft.

Rant mode.

As Bushcraft increased in popularity gear makers naturally wanted to cash in. Seems anything with "bushcraft" within the product description means a premium in pricing so Mora needed to do something which is only natural. So how does one make a Mora Bushcraft knife? Simple...... Lets go back maybe 10 years to the 911. What is a Mora 911 and why can't you buy it? Well that's all part of the rant. What knife is that on the top with black and red handle? It must clearly be a Mora Bushcraft line knife as it has the exclusive Mora Bushcraft style handle and sheath. These are all features of Bushcraft line.

Maybe it's the new Mini Black? A more economic carbon bushcraft knife for 20 dollars without a funky coating as some believe not coated knives cut better? No it's around a decade old if my memory is correct and was one of the most popular Mora knives. The 911, which predates the Mora Bushcraft line. Remember Bushcraft and survival was and still is on the rise!

So how did they make the lower green handled knife, the Bushcraft Triflex? First Mora took the handle and most of the sheath from a 10 dollar knife, the 911 and then the Blade from a 12-15 dollar knife, the Mora 780 Triflex. Combine them together and I mean everything including both prices and we had a 25-30 dollar knife. It was magic and there would be more to come.

But there was a problem. Everyone knew the 911 is or rather was a 10 dollar knife. There was a 946 in 12c27 as well. Worse still everyone knew Mora knives were great but inexpensive. How exactly does Mora expect to one day sell a Mora Pathfinder? What to do? Just look at the magnitude of the problem. Mora had to get people to pay more money when their 10 dollar knives really did most things many Mora customers honesty needed hence why they were and still are popular.

Orange Companion. 9.99
911 around 10 bucks as well.
Old school Clipper the same.
Funny green Companion 8 bucks last week!
Mora number 2. Maybe I paid 10.99 but not sure today.

What to do? The Mora 911 and 946 had to die despite being fantastic knives and probably great sellers. The 911/946 handle was to be incorporated into the more expensive, exclusive Bushcraft line. How another person spends their money isn't my biz and clearly I am a Mora customer of all kinds. Just saying sacrifices were made in the past IMHO.

Rant over.

Now on to the Mora Firecraft. Don't get me wrong, ranting is fun but practicing skills is better. For today's firecraft practice I am going to start two fires, one sustaining with only a Mora 911 and firesteel. The other will be getting flames but not a sustaining fire as that would have already (with luck) been accomplished with the 911. I will need to find everything else in the woods. For the second fire I am going to use just a Mora #2 and either charcoth or chaga. The rest of what's required like the ferro rod fire will need to be foraged.

Tulip Poplar bark is a step below cedar bark IMHO but really not all that bad. I need a tinder bundle for the chaga or charcloth. Will also ignite with a ferro rod.

Quartz will both strike a spark off a ferro rod or high carbon steel. Found these rocks then processed them for sharp angles aka smash!

I think this is dead dry Golden Rod. If not something like it so will make for a good first layer kindling. It rained all night so wanted stuff off the ground. Anything off the ground tends to have less moisture.

Yellow Birch bark. Hydrocarbon rich. It's my go to tinder in my AO. Burns like gas soaked rags.

At this point my camera battery died so had to use the Sony AS20's camera for pics which isn't as good. Plus it's kinda hard to take pics and film video at the same time from the same device. Basically sorry for the bad pics. We are all setup for the Mora firecraft.

Ferro rod and traditional flint and steel methodologies. I will be using the Mora 911 and Yellow Birch bark to start a sustaining fire. After that the Mora #2, charcloth, foraged/processed rocks and foraged/processed Tulip Poplar bark to get flames.

Raised back trig fire in an U ring. The ferro rod and Mora 911 easily ignited the bark. Took all of a few seconds. The Mora #2, quartz, charcloth and tulip poplar bark took maybe 10 minutes as required more processing and effort. It didn't go easy but worked as seen in the video.

Here is a video showing the actual ignition and rant! Crazy ranting!

[video=youtube;nPP1Mnl4GWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPP1Mnl4GWc[/video]

Thanks for watching.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
your not wrong but its been covered before, however you can still get 911's over here ;)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You will find it online, and can buy a stash of them. In these times you never know if they will discontinue it completely, or even worse, sell the whole Mora business to a bunch of heartless investors that move the production to Outer Mongolia!

You can already buy the traditional Dala (Mora) Häst (horse) made in China.

Last edited:

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
your not wrong but its been covered before, however you can still get 911's over here ;)

But did those covering it before do two fires using materials gathered and processed in the woods without matches or lighter in the same post using the same knives? :) Thanks for looking brother.

Last edited:

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
You will find it online, and can buy a stash of them. In these times you never know if they will discontinue it completely, or even worse, sell the whole Mora business to a bunch of heartless investors that move the production to Outer Mongolia!

You can already buy the traditional Dala (Mora) Häst (horse) made in China.

That would be beyond horrible! Thanks for looking brother.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Do not forget that Mora also make simple, rugged knives for professional use. Mora does only have a couple of blade designs, and lots of handle designs, which they combine.

I have bought several Moras pro grade in a builders shop. Cheap, just as good. I like those hard handles, they stand up better if you use a piece of wood to batton on the spine and you hit the handle instead.

Between here in Cayman and our place in Norway I must own 15 or 20 Mora's of all different shapes and sizes.
Most are abused, that is why I keep buying them.
First used to cut up fish, then in the kitchen, on the boat to bleed and kill it, then they end up in the work area in the cellar.

Last edited:

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Do not forget that Mora also make simple, rugged knives for professional use. Mora does only have a couple of blade designs, and lots of handle designs, which they combine.

I have bought several Moras pro grade in a builders shop. Cheap, just as good. I like those hard handles, they stand up better if you use a piece of wood to batton on the spine and you hit the handle instead.

Between here in Cayman and our place in Norway I must own 15 or 20 Mora's of all different shapes and sizes.
Most are abused, that is why I keep buying them.
First used to cut up fish, then in the kitchen, on the boat to bleed and kill it, then they end up in the work area in the cellar.

No question about that. I was very happy they brought back the 510 though Ray Mears had um. Also happy they brought back the Clipper. Got another despite having an older one! Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE