bushcraft instructor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDeath

Sep 13, 2010
somerset
So me and siberianfury are in the process of setting up a company, we aim to cater for children and adults taking groups on instructional courses, we have funding to attain additional knowledge ect, and wanted you guys to tell us what you want to learn more about so we can cater for people who are knowledgeable yet want to learn more, we aim to be up and running in the next 6 months and any input would be much appreciated :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have to be honest, from the posts and videos I've seen from the pair of you, I don't think you have anything to teach that's worth learning, and I'd certainly not trust you with children.
I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but so far I'm not particularly impressed.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Perhaps go on a teaching course to learn how to teach and get across what your students need to know?

DearDeath

Sep 13, 2010
somerset
already enrolled with the princes trust and are both starting instructor courses through them :) starting on the 31st :) so that one is covered... was looking for constructive comments guys.... SF is in fact aiming his video's at the the 'computer' generation to spark interest in bushcraft and to get people outdoors, they aren't really instructional, hope this might clarify some of the issue's you may have with them :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Those videos, however set the tone of your image.
If you want to be taken seriously, then they need to go.
If you want to be taken as a professional, you need to act in a professional manner.
At the moment, all the various videos show is mucking about and poor technique.
I'd like you to think about this little biblical quote.
"By their acts, shall ye judge them"

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to be honest, from the posts and videos I've seen from the pair of you, I don't think you have anything to teach that's worth learning, and I'd certainly not trust you with children.
I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but so far I'm not particularly impressed.

With you on that one!

More constructively (for DDs sake) if you cover the basics (safely) such as fire, water, shelter, food, then there should be more than enough in the way of lesson plans open to you.
A good understanding of learning processes and your subject help you pitch your lessons right for the group you have in front of you - be it well clued up children or numptie adults (and vice-versa)
Knowing how to get your in depth knowledge across is paramount for a good instructor and in my years (been in the game of outdoor instruction since I was 18 - one way or another) I have seen a lot of very tallented outdoors activists (from climbers to paragliders, Scout Leaders to canoeists) fail as instructors as they could not comunicate well.
Equally - I have seen people with little personal technical ability put across what they did know and enthuse students to learn more elsewhere by being great teachers!
Unless you are a natural, learning to instuct can be a hard job in its own right.
I wish you luck in your venture.

DearDeath

Sep 13, 2010
somerset
Graham: essentially i would agree with the quote and as regards to the poor technique why not give us a few pointers? constructive critism i can accept however critism for the sake of it doesn't really help alot.

That is essentially what i have asked for in opening this thread, some constructive pointers to help us 'youngsters' to make something out of our enthusiasm for bushcraft and pass it on to others, as a mod should you not understand this?

i would say you need to spend some time gettting the requires knowlege and importantly experiance combined with actually teaching it
I wouldnt recommend you set up to do it on your own straight out of the box there is a massive amount of legislation H&S requirements as well as all the other stuff you need before you even get into teh woods

can either of you do a proper H&S Risk assesment and i mean one that would stand up to court scrutinty etc ( i can and have IOSH and ROSPA Certs etc as well as Training as Exp as a Diving Instructor where we need daily Risk assesments But i wouldn go near doing them for a bushcraft school )

nothing wrong with the path you want to take but i would say do the courses your talking about and get work with an established school to build up the experiance then in the future move out on your own there area lot of experianced part time or Jobbing instructors instructors already out there who cant get work

I know you wont like the you need experiance bit (i remember not likeing it myself when i was younger ) BUT with out it you wont get far if you intend ot work with the young as well then you will need to meet strict criteria

asking what you need to learn to teach others in 6mths For money is a bit short notice etc

ATB

Duncan

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Graham: essentially i would agree with the quote and as regards to the poor technique why not give us a few pointers? constructive critism i can accept however critism for the sake of it doesn't really help alot.

That is essentially what i have asked for in opening this thread, some constructive pointers to help us 'youngsters' to make something out of our enthusiasm for bushcraft and pass it on to others, as a mod should you not understand this?

Got to agree with you there, DD.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got no special thing I'd like to learn. Maybe something like different modules: shelter, water, food, fire, kit, etc.
If you make a website, make sure you spell check it. And don't forget to sort out insurance ;)

on another note i suggest you both book into Patricks in scotland school on a course just to see how its done ;)

once you have cracked a couple of lesson plans teach them to each other then a few freinds or some of us to get used to it an get usful critic back
get rid of all the Umms n errs before you have a real class

ATB

Duncan

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would absolutely agree with FGYT, I'd also add that your depth of knowledge needs to be great, knowing your chosen subjects inside and out, to the extent that you can(if your planned lesson, and it's back ups back up goes to pot) set up and teach a subject in very short order, so your courses will flow no matter the weather or location,

Subject wise I have always liked the idea of an air rifle course, maybe a bit off subject, but some thing to take a complete novice from choice of gat, to a rabbit pie maybes more than a weekend, but would still be good, and it looks like SF has a good knowledge base all ready.

Just wondering, have you considered the cost of crb's and insurance?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the first and most important thing is to build up a skill base that leaves other people wanting to learn. This is certainly not a factor of age. Have a look at Jon R's website

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/

Jon started inspiring me with his skills when he was less than a third of my age - I wish I had half his ability at basket work amongst other things. I would happily pay to attend a course with him. So perhaps there is you answer - have a look at his website and ask "do I have that level of ability - both in terms of skill and preparing tutorials?".

If the answer is no, why not teach yourself that sort of skill level (as Jon did)? Publish your tutorials and work here and get feedback

Red

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
TBH I just can't see anything that you guys could bring to the table that would be worth teaching...I've never seen anything that interests me greatly in any of Josh's videos that breaks the mold (no offense to him) but there's almost too much seriousness associated with trying to teach...An important thing to remember is that just because you think you are better than someone at something doesn't mean that you're better at teaching then them.
No offense to you guys but myself and I'm sure plenty of people will agree that the kind of people that put themselves in situations that they could potentially get seriously injured shouldn't be instructing anything that involves taking responsibility over other people yet.
Hope you guys sort something out and I would loved to be proved wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE