Bushcraft by bus.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
The whole Bushcraft "thing" for me is about zero, or as near to it as possible, stress. So, armed with this,
https://bustimes.org
I plotted and organised a trip for myself. Some of the remote areas in the North of Scotland, since the demise of the Post Bus, have no service, and some, a one day week service only. Further to that, the services that do exist are run by a multitude of different bus companies, with time schedules that don't coincide. Anyway, with only one 14 mile walk between two locations that has no service, I had a good time, and on one occasion I was glad to see a late bus. I got dropped off at some windswept place with no shelter anticipating a three hour wait, when the previous bus, that was running late appeared. The other thing, (that I've always known anyway) the further North you get, the happier, polite, and more helpful, the bus drivers are.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself uses his free bus pass.
I get up some mornings to find a post-it note stuck to the kitchen door saying, "I'm away to Aviemore", or "I'm away over to Arran (reduced fares on trains and ferries), or, "I'm away up Tinto". The weather's looking good and he's off out :)
Long journeys they feed him coffee and sandwiches, or cake, too.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
The whole Bushcraft "thing" for me is about zero, or as near to it as possible, stress. So, armed with this,
I plotted and organised a trip for myself. Some of the remote areas in the North of Scotland, since the demise of the Post Bus, have no service, and some, a one day week service only. Further to that, the services that do exist are run by a multitude of different bus companies, with time schedules that don't coincide. Anyway, with only one 14 mile walk between two locations that has no service, I had a good time, and on one occasion I was glad to see a late bus. I got dropped off at some windswept place with no shelter anticipating a three hour wait, when the previous bus, that was running late appeared. The other thing, (that I've always known anyway) the further North you get, the happier, polite, and more helpful, the bus drivers are.[/QUOTE
I plotted and organised a trip for myself. Some of the remote areas in the North of Scotland, since the demise of the Post Bus, have no service, and some, a one day week service only. Further to that, the services that do exist are run by a multitude of different bus companies, with time schedules that don't coincide. Anyway, with only one 14 mile walk between two locations that has no service, I had a good time, and on one occasion I was glad to see a late bus. I got dropped off at some windswept place with no shelter anticipating a three hour wait, when the previous bus, that was running late appeared. The other thing, (that I've always known anyway) the further North you get, the happier, polite, and more helpful, the bus drivers are.

Had similar issues trying to make public transport fit my plans to go to a particular area of the highland region in a few days.
Bit the bullet and hired a vehicle to give me the freedom to wander wherever when I land at Inverness airport :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've just done a three day trip on the north Somerset coast
Buses used to be frequent and comfortable. Now it's just one or two minni buses a day if you can get one at all. I ended up getting a taxi home for the last 20 miles as the bus was full and could take no more passengers. Frustrating when you are tired and hurting ( my fybromyalga decided to hit me hard on the last day.) It cost me £35.. bus would have been £4. I think that will be the last time I do that trip! Buses are now very rare hereabouts.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Both me and my Father are petrolheads, but we have bus passes and make good use of them.

However the services seem to have been reduced in recent years. Here it used to be every half an hour; now its hourly.

And for Dad its now every hour and a half.

We need better public transport in this country.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
We need better public transport in this country.
definitely. There are whole areas that have no service at all. Here's a 22 mile journey by bus that turns into 16 hours. Honest.
data=9HDRmCHItEDAmXdfT_2R6HPTZun4u2jCvQKFgB6eqnlvrhep3ILjT3AzN2htjnUpVzJgmU2m79IU8suL0muNt6c5PFZbvQPtczAC7M7ngsZV-fyFBzcNQ4J-u1mIRjmsomR676e0WW1mki7dhzVoLGLpQtbA4GvB4ww,cY3JFyU19Gj4LkOcmmlUcSc7pmYPKF5NbfDK90PE8qcYsh7Sop3QcKAO7Edi3iIRT6iWoU8nYabtynMb3SfYX9vocn-eEBfnKpqgG1w9eiTIzz94FTnBHIiuVwKVkOHJoesgCop8omRbpa2KqDqUHSkNg2aEv_SuNrNqQsOUTu1_G5jqab3MqGbHBlhxZWbDgOkXEk5cc9PZwyPaUAvTq0ByYI3Qc9Izso7-R1f2WTI7oqy3bN4POFDplKqThajR_hXt2GWZj5x6y_TbuD-xFyH3q3ogjXKxPTecD1kFyDlT9ag5MR5oOvDWSoQ95p0C9ggrLtmjg0ZCkIRVBSKlITOVvSoZBNXFQRVnGKaP1AIUtiQBKQ

I got caught out between Crianlarich and Lix Toll, 11 miles by road, but around 14 on the track I chose. Had I stuck with the bus the Journey would have been
134 miles.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
definitely. There are whole areas that have no service at all. Here's a 22 mile journey by bus that turns into 16 hours. Honest.
data=9HDRmCHItEDAmXdfT_2R6HPTZun4u2jCvQKFgB6eqnlvrhep3ILjT3AzN2htjnUpVzJgmU2m79IU8suL0muNt6c5PFZbvQPtczAC7M7ngsZV-fyFBzcNQ4J-u1mIRjmsomR676e0WW1mki7dhzVoLGLpQtbA4GvB4ww,cY3JFyU19Gj4LkOcmmlUcSc7pmYPKF5NbfDK90PE8qcYsh7Sop3QcKAO7Edi3iIRT6iWoU8nYabtynMb3SfYX9vocn-eEBfnKpqgG1w9eiTIzz94FTnBHIiuVwKVkOHJoesgCop8omRbpa2KqDqUHSkNg2aEv_SuNrNqQsOUTu1_G5jqab3MqGbHBlhxZWbDgOkXEk5cc9PZwyPaUAvTq0ByYI3Qc9Izso7-R1f2WTI7oqy3bN4POFDplKqThajR_hXt2GWZj5x6y_TbuD-xFyH3q3ogjXKxPTecD1kFyDlT9ag5MR5oOvDWSoQ95p0C9ggrLtmjg0ZCkIRVBSKlITOVvSoZBNXFQRVnGKaP1AIUtiQBKQ

I got caught out between Crianlarich and Lix Toll, 11 miles by road, but around 14 on the track I chose. Had I stuck with the bus the Journey would have been
134 miles.
That is totaly ridiculous! !!! I thought it was bad here. We might have to go back to hitch hiking again. I think this country is going to the dogs. How are people supposed to go green and live without a car in that area? Totaly impossible! .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But the No. 36 goes from Elgin to Aberlour.....and it's a pretty good service. How the hang did it work out to be 16 hours ??

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
That is totaly ridiculous! !!! I thought it was bad here. We might have to go back to hitch hiking again. I think this country is going to the dogs. How are people supposed to go green and live without a car in that area? Totaly impossible! .

Problem is, many of the areas affected have become "gentrified" so the new locals wouldn't be seen dead in a bus. Tonight I made an eight mile bus journey in the presence of two individuals, both under the influence of chemicals, one urinated in the bus, and the other kept on falling out of the seat on to the floor, and that is a rural, not an inner city journey. I can tolerate this kind of nonsense, but a lot won't, and I can understand why. Sadly.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
But the No. 36 goes from Elgin to Aberlour.....and it's a pretty good service. How the hang did it work out to be 16 hours ??
There is a bus runs twice a week between Grantown and Aberlour Via Tomintoul, but if you want to go at other times it's Grantown>Aviemore, change bus. Aviemore>Inverness, change bus, Inverness>Elgin, change bus, Elgin>Aberlour. The Elgin Aberlour Duftown service is excellent, I use it often.

P.S. The 16 hours is what Travel Scotland quote.
from The Square

1. 15:07Grantown-on-Spey

2. 15:10The Square

34 towards Aviemore
    15:43Aviemore

3. Walk
    262 ft (1 min)
  4. 16:00Cairngorm Hotel

G10 towards Inverness
  5. 16:45
    17:00Bus Station, Farraline Park, Inverness
    (Platform 1)

10 towards Nairn
  6. 17:40
    18:42Bus Station

10 towards Elgin
    19:30Bus Station (Stance 2)

7. Walk
    26 ft (0 mins)
  8. 06:35Bus Station (Stance 1)

36 towards Dufftown
    07:12The Square
    (Aberlour)

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm afraid I would not want to travel with those sort of people either but it's different being a female.. I take it that these people were male.. it's much more threatening for me . I'm surprised they were let on the bus or not thrown off. That would happen here. Trouble is no driver would want to confront these idiots in case they got hurt themselves, or sued.
It's a sad state of affairs.
I used to use the local buses two or three times a week. Now I rarely bother with them. Thing is they have made the service so bad nobody can use it so then they say it doesn't pay and nobody uses it giving them an excuse to cut the service.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sounds to me like the bus services are run almost specifically for bushcrafters if an overnighter in a field is on the cards every time you decide to get out. :D

Enough kit and food for a night would de-stress any bus problems.

Few years ago my brother in law was staying at his dads cottage in Tollard Royal in Wiltshire. Having had a couple of ales at lunchtime he decided to get the bus to the nearest shop about 6 miles away to grab some provisions. After waiting an hour he knocked on a locals door and asked when the next bus was. Wednesday was the answer.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Sounds to me like the bus services are run almost specifically for bushcrafters if an overnighter in a field is on the cards every time you decide to get out. :D

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The planning was fun, and if I miss one, then so what ? I know where all the "good bits" are, so no problem really. If the weather had been really bad, I'd have opted for the long journey. Next time out I'll head up Poolewe way, there doesn't seem to be much of a service between Gairloch and Ullapool, and the midgies are fierce. :aargh:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor

Enough kit and food for a night would de-stress any bus problems.

Few years ago my brother in law was staying at his dads cottage in Tollard Royal in Wiltshire. Having had a couple of ales at lunchtime he decided to get the bus to the nearest shop about 6 miles away to grab some provisions. After waiting an hour he knocked on a locals door and asked when the next bus was. Wednesday was the answer.
He was lucky.. I used to live somewhere where they would have had to have waited untill Friday. :)

Reactions: Nice65

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nobody wants to use a scheduled service these days. People want it when it suits them, not according to a schedule.

Also, people expect it to be very cheap, and not pay the real cost.
A bus is expensive, to buy and to run, and the driver needs a wage....

20 years ago I wanted to take a bus from Mayfield to Crowbotough ( East Sussex). 12 miles.
Minimum 1.5 hours to 2 hours, each way.
Car was it then!

Last edited:

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
I have a neighbour who's a bus driver, he's what you might call a regular guy. I get the impression that he's rather stressed by some of the behaviour of some of his passengers. Being a regular bus user myself I can see where he's coming from.
Most of the drivers on my routes are a cheery, polite bunch.
They must have the patience of saints!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE