1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bushcraft boats

Discussion in 'DIY and Traditional crafts' started by boatman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. boatman

boatman Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Inspired by a remark on a current thread that boats are rarely mentioned.

The project nearly finished in Falmouth, Cornwall, to reconstruct a full-size Bronze Age Boat could be said to be pure bushcraft with its hull of oak mostly held together with stitches of yew withies.
    [video=youtube;22chM3wYrk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22chM3wYrk0[/video]

Hopefully it will be launched at Falmouth on the fourth of March.

This project has taken a lot of money and labour but knocking up a boat can be as easy or as difficult as you care to make it. A pirogue from plywood and epoxy can be built in a weekend and finished in a week easily, actually using much same basic technique of sewing as with the Bronze Age Boat.

B&Q and other suppliers will even cut the ply into the widths you need for the planks thereby saving you from the most awkward part of cutting up a plywood sheet accurately. Each plank of course needs joining which is not difficult but could be avoided if full wooden planks are used but then it can be difficult, and expensive, to get them wide enough meaning added complication for the build if you cannot.

Even more bushcrafty would be to use wooden planks and to stitch the pirogue together with withies and caulk it with tallow and moss as with the Falmouth boat, something I have been playing around with for years as a, now stalled, project.

#1 boatman, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly A somewhat settled

Amazing! I've watched episodes 1-3, and bookmarked the page to watch later. Thanks for posting.

3. grey-array

grey-array Full Member

Superb link I really love that ^^
    Thanks for showing, and goodluck on your project
    Yours sincerley Ruud

4. pastymuncher

pastymuncher Nomad

5. Squidders

Squidders Full Member

6. Exploriment

Exploriment Forager

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

7. boatman

boatman Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Wonder why they cheated by using a welded metal frame. Ribs and stringers could have been made of tightly rolled duct tape or something like cardboard enclosed in tape. The welded frame shows a mindset that you must have heavy gear to make anything.

8. jojo

jojo Need to contact Admin...

To me, the "ultimate" Bushcraft boat has to be a birchbark canoe. Sadly, birch bark, if available at all, is only available at exorbitant prices. So the next best thing will be a birch plywood canoe.

These pictures show what a bit of imagination in use of material can produce.

This one as to be my favourite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;x1KdAdTh5CY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x1KdAdTh5CY[/video]

Northern Sound Canoes

Usual disclaimer, blah blah... I have nothing to do with these guys, I just like their work!

#8 jojo, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

Those are lovely Jojo, thanks for posting them

The other canoe to consider is canvas skin canoes... have a look at the 3 that Jon Ridgeon from this forum built