Bushcraft Boat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The only things I would have done differently is that I would have notched the timbers before the tying, and made one more crossmember in the middle, that was cut out so it rested between the top side timbers. Resting the crossmembers on top - watercraft will collapse inwards if the side and top glide against each other.

Looks good though. It is a modern version of the prehistoric European boat called Currachin Ireland.
You will be able to reach those big tasty fish now!

Your dog is a character. Must be a wonderful friend!

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
The only things I would have done differently is that I would have notched the timbers before the tying, and made one more crossmember in the middle, that was cut out so it rested between the top side timbers. Resting the crossmembers on top - watercraft will collapse inwards if the side and top glide against each other.

Looks good though. It is a modern version of the prehistoric European boat called Currachin Ireland.
You will be able to reach those big tasty fish now!

Your dog is a character. Must be a wonderful friend!

How didn't I thought of that..... notches will be a must in future boat
Thank you very much my friend !

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Happy to share my experience of a collapsing vessel!
I have done two, a round one ( hopeless to propell but stable) and your version, easy to propel , unstable, and first try collapsed........

In those days we did not have those wonderful, strong paracords, so I used reclaimed, de-barbed barbed wire.

When you do notches, do them just a mm or two into the wood.

To make the binding ultra tight, add a piece of wood/ stick, about 20cm long under the loop, tie the cord.
Then twist the stick and fix.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Of course I not only plan to fish from this boat but to fish with a made in the bush fishing rod/reel as well

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is my hope! I love archaic ways.

I did once a fishing line from braided pine roots, and a bone hook of the type that looks like a thick, short neddle, sharp on both sides with a hole in the middle. Works, but is difficult.

Making a decent paddle is easy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE