Bullaces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Folk.

This is my first post so I'd like to kick off by saying what a great place you've got going here.

Now for the question.

Where I grew up out in the Cambridgeshire fens my dear old Dad introduced me to a small wild plum he called a Bullace. They are a little larger than a cherry and a lovely golden orange colour, best cooked in pies and jams.
Looking through my copy of Ray Mears Bushcraft I notice that the Bullace pictured is a blue colour with a patina rather like a very big sloe.
Are there different types of bullace or was my poor old dad wrong?

Cheers,

Dave

A

Anonymous

One book I looked in stated both colours are 'wild' types - I think there is possibly a wide variation in the species as a whole. Certainly, here in Dorset I've found both colours literally growing side by side - and personally I found the purple form tastier!

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Hello MartiniDave,

Thats funny. I was only reading Ray Mears book last night and saw the Bullace on the pages I was checking. There's loads around me at the moment ( Northants/Lincs/Cambs borders). I thought they were bird cherry at first, and was just checking up before I grabbed a handful and munched them. Having checked out Rays picture, they definitley are Bullace and not Bird Cherry. I haven't seen any of the orange ones though.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
isn't a bullace a bit like a damson? or am i getiing confused, i get confused easily especially on fridays!
steve

R

RoJ

Just in case anyone comes back to this topic, I had grafting stock for plums [St.Julien A]. Had to plant them in an allotment whilst house moving and blackbirds had all the labels. Finally, ten years on in new house, these blossomed and fruited into bullace. Light green/gold with violet high-light on the ripest. Tough skins so pick as droppers, NOT from tree, those aren't ripe.
Tasty, as you say, makes jam comparable with Victoria.
Tree is maybe 3 to 4 m high and 3 m across, so dwarfing for plum grafting. Recommended for garden.,
RoJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE