Build A Bucksaw - The Final!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Votes till Sunday for the Champion Bucksaw! (Just 3 days)

• Greywolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Weaver

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Woodwalker

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Jamie6754

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Sargey

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Jon Picket

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Skanker

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Queeg9000

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Queeg9000 (Mark II)

Votes: 10 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi all, well this is it the final for the “Build a Bucksaw” competition.

These are the top 10 entries as selected by you

Again, there are no criteria – just vote for the saw you like the best.

So, the finalists are:

Greywolf

th_Image004.jpg

P@ul

pc100063jo0.jpg

Weaver

CuttingBuck.jpg

Woodwalker

DSCF3204Small.jpg

Jamie6754

DSC00221.jpg

Sargey

svensaw.jpg

Jon Picket

dsc02976largelv1.jpg

Skanker

saw2.jpg

Queeg9000

Bucksaw_Sapele1.jpg

Queeg9000 (Mark II)

Bucksaw_Hazel2.jpg

Reactions: janiepopps

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
are we allowed to comment here as well or could that influence peoples decisions. I'm going to anyway so if it not OK delete away!!

I like the made in the woods ones best I think thats the real reason for making one just take a blade and away you go no extra wieght. Unless your motorised but thats another story.

I like sargeys becuase it was the minimilist but I was a bit concerned that if I made one that way in the woods I might cut myself making the holes and while the one by p@ul with the tubey bits may be a tiny bit heavier the time saved in making it plus the added safety might just have swayed me.

Woohoo - THE FINAL!!!!

I'd just like to wish everybody that has entered good luck.

It has been a pleasure to watch this competition and I'm in awe of you guys and the efforts that you have put. Well done to you all.

And of course a "Big Up" to British Red for getting this going :You_Rock_

I shall look forward to the result :D

Cheers guys,

Phil.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Replying to mikesknives question - sure comment away - I'm sure people will appreciate all the "I like xyz one because" comments - they sure interest me - or just "I like abc - cos I just do" :D

Phil,

as always in these things mate I see my role as "rabble rouser" and then sitting back and watching clever people do clever things that inspire me. I'd prefer to be a "clever person" but, I know my place :D

Red

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Well....what a dilemma you've set us Red.. :confused: These entries all have outstanding quality IMHO and the challenge for me is to deide between the craftsmanship and decorative quality of a number of entries...or the craftsmanship and pure functionality of those who might build one "in a hurry" while in the woods. All have their merits and I would be happy (if offered.. :lmao: ) to slip ANY of these in my rucksack. The build quality of all seems excellent and the decorative ideas intriguing. To make my decision I've found myself also considering depth of cut and what size branch a saw could deal with.......I've made my choice but can't help but feel I've done 9 other people a disservice. Well done fellas.... :You_Rock_

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Weavers does have a beautiful depth of cut and a fantastic elegance I agree

Consider the beautiful grip shapes on Queeg9000s though ...and Skankers

The decoration on Jon Pickets show the soul of the artist that he is too...

Of course the solidity of fit of those stunning joints of Woodwalkers must be mentioned ...

Jamies joints fitted to a curve are great as well (and he has the seat left from the stool too ;))

The neatness of blade securing and anti-twist in Queeg9000s MarkII and
Sargey's "field expedient design"

Of course under the heading of "the best ideas are obvious when someone else has had them" we have Paul.

So ahving considered all of these smartarses in the round

Come on Greywolf! :D :D

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But but but - okay - have a rep point for being a sporting man and not voting for yourself mate!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for all the good wishes, may the best saw win!

I see another is in the lead now. I had hoped to win as I would like to be able to donate the prize, what ever happens will happen, so mote it be.

This all started in response to the high price of some commercial saws and wondering why they were so expensive. I think we have proven that anyone handy enough to carve a spoon may also make his own saw.

I spent, if I add the expense of new wood and the blade which I already had both, less then $10 USD and 2 hours to build my saw. Even if I pay myself $30 an hour the price would be only $70 out the door. What is that? About £33??

Much less than the commercial saw and IMHO a better design.

I had hoped to make another saw and do a step by step photo shoot of the process, maybe I will have time later. Would also like to do a site built saw from green wood.

In my opinion all the saw makers deserve a standing ovation and thanks for showing their work. I wish I could meet each of you in person to shake your hand and congratulate you on a job well done!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Deleted by myself coz in retrospect i think it's unfair pressure on the entrants.
Bad me
. :bluThinki

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I can get over the beautiful carving on Jon Pickett's entry. I had the chance to have a proper look at it in January and it really is a think of beauty. Absolutely amazing carving and detail...and it works good too! :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Weaver,

On the basis of the suggestion, I suspect it needn't be mate ;)

I reckon the lucky new owner would be embarrased to stand in the way of an auction like that and would love such a ncie thing to happen (although knowing him he'd cry himself to sleep if he didn't win) :sadwavey: :sadwavey:

Red

Reactions: Marts

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE