1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until the end of March, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Buck Knives pricing in the UK.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by firedfromthecircus, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

1. firedfromthecircus

I have a hankering for a Buck 110 Hunter. It is a hankering I have had for probably 30 years. Apart from buying a cheap copy around 30 years ago I am finally looking to do something about it. But the prices are mad!
    Quite a few of my interests involve products from US companies. Generally I find that UK prices seem to be roughly around the same in £s as it is in $s in the US. Given exchange rates and shipping and import duties I can accept that level of pricing. But you can get a Buck Hunter for $39 in the US while they are £75 over here! Anyone know why?

2. C_Claycomb

Mod

I think you have largely answered your own question. Shipping, duty (which is fairly high on knives), and VAT on both the goods, and the import duty, tax on tax. There is also the matter of distributors. Edgar Bros are sole distributor for a wide range of imported products, notably knives. They set the price that UK retailers have to pay, and since those retailers can't go anywhere else to get that product, this can limit how much they can discount. When we look at buying from the US, there are far more sources spread around. We don't tend to look just at every supplier in a single state. I think that recently the law was changed to require all businesses to charge sales tax on mail order sales. Up to a few years back, if the business did not have a physical outlet in your state, you didn't pay any sales tax on the purchase.

Having prices be the same in £ as the number was in $ is an old issue. I find it quite interesting that I see things that are still priced like this now, despite the fall in the £ against the $. All that can mean is that the UK business is either selling old stock, or someone is making less profit.

3. Woody girl

Woody girl Settler

They are so expensive nowadays. I bought mine in the seventies and it was moderately priced or i would not have bought it as I was fairly strapped for cash at the time. Can't remember what I paid for it. I looked at one a while back and I could not believe the price! I was looking for one as a Christmas present. Needless to say he got something cheaper!
    No idea why but it could be why levi jeans are so much cheaper in the US compared to here.... and harleys and hershy bars (tho why anyone might buy a hershy bar I don't know)
    Is it to do with trumps trade policy's perhaps? Must plead ignorance on this one.

4. Clanchief

Clanchief Member

Think I have one never used sat in the box, will look when I get in

5. Clanchief

Clanchief Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thought I had one lying boxed unused, it’s the 50th anniversary edition.

6. Samon

Samon Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Don't waste your money on a 110. I had 3 including one hand inspected by the Buck quality control guy and they are rubbish.

Loads of blade play, failure on one to stay locked, gaps all over, poor fit and weak blades made of pee poor steel that chip and tips that snap off under standard use.

The handles are nice though.. as are the belt pouches.

7. Woody girl

Woody girl Settler

Quality control must have gone downhill since the 70s then. Mine has never had a problem and still going strong!

santaman2000 likes this.
  8. Corso

Corso Full Member

couple avalible on edgematters.uk if your a paid member

9. Klenchblaize

Klenchblaize Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

10. Corso

Corso Full Member

11. Jared

Jared Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

12. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

I was thinking the same thing; and I used mine pretty heavily (both as a pry bar and even once as a bucking bar —- that really hurt my hand but no amage to the knife)

13. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

I've lost count of the number of snapped off Buck knives that I've seen.
    They 'stay sharp', but I think they do it at the cost of being brittle with sommat weird with their hardening.

Maybe they have changed since the 70's :dunno:

santaman2000 likes this.
  14. Ettrick reiver

Ettrick reiver Tenderfoot

Try Deadwood Knives in the US, they have a huge selection of Buck, Case and others. I’ve pm’d you.
    Cheers
    Ettrick Reiver

15. Corso

Corso Full Member

If i were to get another i'd go for a 112 with the drop point with a carbon steel blade