Broken firesteel :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hi all,
I recently received a lovely firesteel in a trade on here. It was beautifully made and threw consistent sparks:

22d8a8a512cd57e3f8bbd181c6cbe0d2.jpg

I spent about 15 minutes playing with it and:

2fc6d009f331e55530c1860e4c0ede46.jpg

Although disappointed, I realised the larger section was still large enough to make sparks no problem albeit slightly more difficult to hold...

5 minutes later:

0569925251ccfbad5a4fac6774d45cbd.jpg

Gutted :/ don't suppose there's an easy fix for this?? Are there any blacksmiths that would be able to share their opinions on wether there's anything I can do to fix it? I have no forge/anvil/tools... But I'd love to try a bit of primitive smithing ;)

All the best, Lewis

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Its dead I'm afraid, unless you fancy forge welding the bits back together like some mythical heroes sword.
It looks like the whole thing was quenched, making it all brittle. Usually just the striking edge is hardened and the reast is left soft and flexible.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Its dead I'm afraid, unless you fancy forge welding the bits back together like some mythical heroes sword.
It looks like the whole thing was quenched, making it all brittle. Usually just the striking edge is hardened and the reast is left soft and flexible.

Good info there Steve, thankyou! I was worried I was striking it too hard (which I couldn't have been as I use steel strikers a lot) :p

Will gladly see the remains exhumed from the kit-cave and sent to anyone who wants to have a go at said forge-welding :)

All the best, Lewis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE