British army jungle sleeping bag summer use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 7, 2017
House
Hello everyone I am here for the first time I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina , we are limited as to the some camping gear.
By chance I found on our sales site in Bosnia , Brithish army jungle sleeping bag. No one here has any experience with this sleeping bag so I came here to ask you because in the UK is more accessible and probably had some use.

I usually camp out in summer May June July August when warm daytime temperatures are + 30C and nightly sometimes go up to max + 10c .
Can someone tell me what is this sleeping bag for these conditions and can I fit in it :cool: .
I am 187cm and 100 killos :p

I also planned to make bivy bag from a tarp for that sleeping bag but condensation will probably be a problem.

Sorry for bad english

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Same as Rabid... I have used the bag too. certainly good in hot weather but mine fell apart when jamming the material in the zipper during the night.

Your English is pretty good. No worse than mine! ;)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
My son uses his one most of the year (apart from really cold spells) for army cadets. Usually in just his uniform and a bivi bag if needed.

Apr 7, 2017
House
Ok then I'm gonna order it and test it when weather gets warmer . Then take measurements from the bag and make bivy from a tarp :D
That's all i need sleeping bag and bivy. I guess:cool:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
You're better off with the tarp than with the bivy to be honest, except in terrible weather, and then you'd want at least a tarp overhead too. A bivy made out of a tarp, will be a condensation hell (the breathable ones are already).

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
They're good kit but be careful as it can still get cold at night. In summer i use a softy 6 and find it perfect. Warmer than the jungle bag when the temp drops unexpectedly and no more bulky. I would always recommend a bivvy and a tarp/basha. Bivvy keeps the wind off since it rips right through these bags.

Tonyuk

Apr 7, 2017
House
I've try to buy a US army bivvy but it's expensive and shipping is about 60$ to Bosnia. Then later i've tried to buy british army bivvy it seems ok i could manage to buy it but shipping is 40-60$ .
I tried to find bivvy with a few holes so i can repair it but still shipping is twice of bivvy worth. then i give up :D
Last summer i found some video on youtube some guy making bivy from a tarp i thought this is great idea but later i figure out that condensation might be a problem.

For now i'll stick with a bag and tarp . and avoid wind :D

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
My son uses his one most of the year (apart from really cold spells) for army cadets. Usually in just his uniform and a bivi bag if needed.

He used it this weekend which was a bit chilly at night. We wanted him to take his fleece liner as well, but he wanted to keep the weight down and thought he would be ok in uniform + a Bivbag.
In the end he said he just slept in his T shirt and pants and was warm enough.

Apr 7, 2017
House
Nice , 3 days ago I was camping with friends in the forest near little creek .Weather was great warm all day I use tarp as my shalter and car sun shade under sleeping bag . I slept in trousers and fleece I was warm . The sleeping bag was little bit a moist from the outside I guess because of the creek . I was using some cheep bag from ebay that I bought few years ago It was rated -5c but I don't think so .I think its good about 0 c . In general not bad sleeping bag just a heavy and bulky that's the main reason why i wanna switch to british army jungle bag .

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I've try to buy a US army bivvy but it's expensive and shipping is about 60$ to Bosnia. Then later i've tried to buy british army bivvy it seems ok i could manage to buy it but shipping is 40-60$ .
I tried to find bivvy with a few holes so i can repair it but still shipping is twice of bivvy worth. then i give up :D
Last summer i found some video on youtube some guy making bivy from a tarp i thought this is great idea but later i figure out that condensation might be a problem.

For now i'll stick with a bag and tarp . and avoid wind :D

Have you contacted the companies direct, or was it from a shipping info page? They may do substantially cheaper shipping if you speak with them directly, as those auto-calculators can be way off from the actual cost for some countries.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
It looks as if importing modest camping hiking kit to Bosnia is horribly expensive. Might I suggest a DIY alternative. Here in the US, newbuildings are wrapped with "Housewrap" - Tyvek from Dupont being the best known. This is a vapour permeable plastic film, which is waterproofHere you can go to a building site, and scrounge an off cut /end of roll,especially if you bring a six pack. Once you have a piece, all you need is a pair of scissors and a roll of duct tape and you can easilu make your own. There is one type of tyvek (14-3)which has an aluminium coating on one side, and if you can get that, your bivvy will be good without a sleeping bag down to about 10 deg celsius. This is the basis of the SOL escape bivvy which has such good reviews and also the Trifeca thermal bivvy, which gets even better reviews as it is much bigger and so suits us taller and fatter Americans. Here's a video which can give you ideas for a DIY version if you have some sewing skills available within the family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYIRKzPVyyg

Ihope thatgives you some food for thought. DIY can be a very satisfying route to low cost, quality gear

ANd here is an instructable for atyvek bivy: http://www.instructables.com/id/Tyvek-Bivy-Sack-for-CampingHiking/

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2017
House
Great idea never seen that material before , but for sure i'll try to find it and make bivvy . The best thing is that you can make bivvy by your own measurements and design .

Ty for idea

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE