Bowhunting and how to start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
So i'll start by saying i know it's illegal to hunt with a bow here in jolly olde England. But i've been talking a lot with my girlfriend recently about visiting her family in Alberta, Canada, and she mentioned that her brother in law is a bow hunter and it might be an idea to go out hunting with him while i'm over there. I've looked it up and the law is straightforward enough, i just need to pass a conservation and environment course (which i can do online) and get the necessary tags, and i'm good to go.

I'm comfortable out in the field but have never hunted before, and I've also shot bows a few times for fun when younger but never specifically trained with them. Obviously i don't want to half **** it and risk making a bad shot that doesn't humanely kill the deer, so if i am going to do it i plan on getting better with a bow first. So i'm really asking 2 questions:

1) What's the best way to improve? I could buy a relatively cheap bow just for practising, and then just practice at different ranges as often as i could. I live in London and looked at a few archery clubs, but they all seem to have a mandatory beginners course they charge £125 for, which seems steep considering it only offer a certificate (which i have no use for) and trains you how to shoot olympic style on an indoor range (which seems not entirely relevant to what i want). Or... something completely different. Suggestions are welcome.

2) What sort of bow should i be looking at buying? Just looking for rough guidelines here, style, draw weight, etc. I will probably buy it once i'm in Canada as it makes transport easier, and because Canada is a much cheaper place to shop.

Anyway, hope to hear from some of you soon. :)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Practice using a target will a kill zone for a start, a cheap bow to start I wouldn't personally advise, fair enough if it's something to try before you move in to a better bow, maybe join a field archery society? Kurt may have something to add here. I would say go for a decent compound bow, and don't be too ambitious with range. Its better to leave a potential shot than to send something away wounded. No need for massive OTT draw weights, a good archer can hunt with a small recurve effectively, you still have plenty of punch.
Consider buying a few actual broadheads to practice with, they fly slightly differently to field points, and it's enough to make a difference. They're expensive to practice with though

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Good point about the broadheads flying differently, i hadn't thought of that. My google searches for archery club didn't throw up any field archery clubs so i was unaware they existed, so if you or Kurt can recommend any in/around London that would be great.

What sort of draw weight would you be thinking, 50 lbs sound about right?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Consider some of the "expanding" broadheads, they fly much more like a field point. Some ballistics testing with them shows they cut comparable wound channels to traditional broadheads. 50lb is more than sufficient, most recommend 40lb and up.
Kurt sprang to mind as he's more your neck of the woods, honest outrage as he's known here. Sure he won't mind you asking he's into his archery. I'm more into things that go bang than twang but have bow hunted. Someone had a post about field archery clubs here recently but for the life of me can't Remeber who's it was

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Consider some of the "expanding" broadheads......

......50lb is more than sufficient, most recommend 40lb and up.....

In and of itself this is reasonable advice. However check Canadian and the applicable Provincial laws regarding minimum legal draw weight and legal broadheads. Minimum here is usually, but now always, 45#

Just looked it up and it appears 40# is the legal minimum in Alberta.

While buying a bow once you get there may be cheaper, it likely won't give you much time to practice with the same bow you intend to hunt with.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What tags do you plan to apply for? White tail? Mule Deer? Big Horn Sheep? Elk? Antelope? Bison? Cougar? Black Bear?

Bowhunter here - get a compound bow of appropriate draw weight for your strength 60 lbs or so is ok for deer. Set it up with a peep sight and one pin set for 20 yards - and a mechanical release. Get 6 arrows with field points and shoot every day. If you are shooting from more than 20 yards just aim higher. At first you might not be able to shoot more than 6 shots before you get fatigued. You will get stronger and more accurate pretty fast if you stick with it. In Canada there are expert bow hunters that can take you from there. It's great fun - enjoy.

Last edited:
While buying a bow once you get there may be cheaper, it likely won't give you much time to practice with the same bow you intend to hunt with.

If you aren't using sights then that is completely true - and you need to set aside 10 years or so to become competent enough to even pretend you are humane. On the other hand a competent weekend bowhunter can walk out of an archery shop with a brand new - properly set up - rig and shoot very well with it almost immediately - within a few days at most.

The essense of bow hunting is to get close - if 25 yards is your limit then know it and don't shoot past that. This is often the main difference between an ethical bow hunter and a hack.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Lots of good advice already. Tags etc are easily obtained while you are out there so long as you have your Hunters Certification paperwork in order.

Certainly think a phone call to the Brother-in-law is in order. He might be able to lend you a bow and the orange clothes our Canadian cousins think are essential to hunting.

Might be worth considering finding an Outfitter. They will give you the best chance of a successful hunt.

Obviously you will need to time your trip to marry up with the quite limited hunting season for your species with a Bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
But can you kill with little or no regrets.? All very well wanting to hunt big game, but when it comes down to it and you're looking that animal in the eye (30 yards) can you pull the trigger.?

Choking on the shot could result in a bad shot and then you have to deal with the consequences after. Hunting with a bow is up close and very personal.

Maybe you could tag along first see if you like the experience first. It aint for the faint of heart. Even the pros make bad shots from time to time. Your heart rate will be through the roof.

It's not easy killing an animal at close quarters. No matter how much practice you have on a range or in the garden it will in no way help you in the real world. All hunted animals deserve the Hunter to be at his best.

Cheers..S

Last edited:

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
Very jealous! I've always wanted to visit Canada!

These chaps have said everything i would of. Unless your very competent already, or have the time to put in to be competent (shooting a minimum of once a week for a good few months), don't use anything other than a compound. You need the accuracy that comes with a sighted compound to make sure you get the kill. I can't imagine the feeling that would come with missing a kill shot and injuring an animal. Let's be honest that kill zone behind the shoulder of a deer is quite a small target!

Shooting at bosses (targets) will help you learn your technique and may improve your accuracy, but all of that will go out the window, when your standing in a forest, maybe on one knee, maybe shooting around a tree or through a thicket, terrain elevation and wind will also come into it, and once you combine all of those things, all of that practice at a round straw target 30 meters away, becomes irrelevant! I went from boss shooting to field archery, and it was like i had to learn to shoot all over again!

You might struggle to find a club that will let you have a "practice shoot" especially if your not an NFAS member. You normally have to go on a shoot with a coach in order for them to asses you and for them to put their signature on your NFAS application.

The club i go to charges £75 for a two day course, that will mean you can apply for your NFAS membership afterwards. http://www.celticharmony.org/ you might find some more info here as well http://www.nfas.net/home.asp

Good luck though, it would be an amasing trip and experience.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The mentoring arrangements and charges of archery clubs are a joke.Moved to Cornwall having shot a bow since aged twelve, member of a Longbow club, participated in many target and field shoots and have even became a qualified Outdoor Instructor for Archery with Cornwall County and still told would have to go through the pantomime of three months provisional membership and could not take part in so-called "Open" shoots despite the fact that I have my own public liability insurance. One reason I bought our own patch of woodland where myself and friends can shoot without this nonsense.

Worth noting that in Berkshire we had truly open field shoots with no trouble or injuries as does The Society for the Protection of Traditional Archery. Simple rules and a field course is safe.

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
I agree boatman. it seems crazy to me as well. i was an AGB member for years and when i decided to move over to field archery i still had to go on a beginners course before i could get my NFAS signed off.

It's all about that money.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
But can you kill with little or no regrets.? All very well wanting to hunt big game, but when it comes down to it and you're looking that animal in the eye (30 yards) can you pull the trigger.?

Choking on the shot could result in a bad shot and then you have to deal with the consequences after. Hunting with a bow is up close and very personal.

Maybe you could tag along first see if you like the experience first. It aint for the faint of heart. Even the pros make bad shots from time to time. Your heart rate will be through the roof.

It's not easy killing an animal at close quarters. No matter how much practice you have on a range or in the garden it will in no way help you in the real world. All hunted animals deserve the Hunter to be at his best.

Cheers..S

This is a point I made in another recent thread about bow hunting.

I've known a number of folks over the years who presented with the perfect shot either choke, can't do it, or muff up.

If you don't hunt in the UK then you need to be aware of this risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
1) What's the best way to improve? I could buy a relatively cheap bow just for practising, and then just practice at different ranges as often as i could. I live in London and looked at a few archery clubs, but they all seem to have a mandatory beginners course they charge £125 for, which seems steep considering it only offer a certificate (which i have no use for) and trains you how to shoot olympic style on an indoor range (which seems not entirely relevant to what i want). Or... something completely different. Suggestions are welcome.

2) What sort of bow should i be looking at buying? Just looking for rough guidelines here, style, draw weight, etc. I will probably buy it once i'm in Canada as it makes transport easier, and because Canada is a much cheaper place to shop.

HiFolcwigga
To get good, start off with a light draw weight bow with sights, 35lb is plenty, getting a consistent anchor is the No1 priority, as soon as you get that sussed out and grouping your arrows together then you can start to adjust the sights effectively, You want a light bow just to start off with so you have plenty time to line up the sights without and not have the pressure of heavy draw weight putting you under pressure and forcing you to rush and lose the arrow to early, and don't drop your bow arm after the shot.
£125 Sound's a lot, depends on the quality of the coach. The club will probably start you off with a light draw weight Recurve with sights, which is perfect to start with, shooting accurately all about consistency of, draw length anchor bow arm and range estimation. There is a tone of stuff to learn about archery and shooting styles, Instinctive shooting, Gap Shooting "me" string walking etc, take your time and find what work's best for you, Ill say it again get that anchor sussed first .

As for the bow you buy, It's up to you , what ever one attracts you most, I first started out with a Compound now I only shoot Barebow.

Lots of bow hunters will tell you, get a paper plate for a target, Keep shooting at it and moving back ,when you cant get all your arrows on to the plate "Plate supposed to represent a average heart and lung size" ,that's you maximum humane range.
I would also say, if you want advice on bow hunting ask some one who knows what they are talking about your brother in law a bowhunter.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Maybe a preparation for bowhunting but fun in its own right is to erect a 3D deer target in the woods and then stalk it with due consideration for wind direction and noise. And, without a bow, of course, to stalk other members of the party. No point if the hunting is to be still hunting, waiting for the beast to wander in range.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Maybe a preparation for bowhunting
I know you said "I'm comfortable out in the field but have never hunted before" butBoatman just reminded me of a great book, Stalking and Still Hunting , the ground hunters bible By G Fred Asbell and The Traditional Bowhunters Bible by T.J Conrads
Some other great authors on archery are.
Howard Hill
Saxton Pope
Byron Ferguson
Fred Bear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE