Bought myself a parang today.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
WARNING: DO NOT BUY FROM BRONZEMOONOUTDOORS.CO.UK READ THIS THREAD AND THE OTHERS ON THE SUBJECT.

So I finally bit the bullet today and bought one :mexwave::mexwave:

Condor pack parang.
60948.jpg

I'll be using it for splitting firewood, and food prep on my next outing to try it out.

Does anyone else have one, and how have you gotten on with it? I would also be interested to hear your opinions on the full size version. I already have the condor golok and love it.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've been wanting to test one of those out since they announced it last year. It is the same as my Iban parang but full tang.

Are they available in the UK yet?

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Agreed Danny :)

I've been wanting to test one of those out since they announced it last year. It is the same as my Iban parang but full tang.

Are they available in the UK yet?

It seems they are, but you never can be sure with online retailers. I emailed Heinnie about it and they sent me back a slightly vague email just saying they'll be getting a load of condor stuff in soon. So I tried out these guys; http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.co.uk/condor-village-parang-machete
I hope they have it in stock already, either way I'll keep you posted. I had a confirmation email, but no dispatch notice yet, I'm hopeing it will go out tommorrow.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Who's? Mine?

If so, you might want to search for jungle parang accident on this site. I think my less-than-betterhalf, EmmaD started it. You'll understand why the full tang is preferable to my future acquirements if you read that.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hah, here it is.. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70318

Reading back, it's amazing what disinformation filters through first. I wouldn't call my missus a drama queen... quite the opposite actually. But I dread to think what she was told. Full riveted tang is the way to go though. That ruined an amazing 14 week exped. Cut off in its prime. All that snakey goodness unfound due to a dodgy tang.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Agreed Danny :)It seems they are, but you never can be sure with online retailers. So I tried out these guys; http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.co.uk/condor-village-parang-machete
I hope they have it in stock already, either way I'll keep you posted. I had a confirmation email, but no dispatch notice yet, I'm hopeing it will go out tommorrow.

Sorry if this is a bit late but please be aware of this retailer if you haven't already paid as they have poor rep, can't find the previous thread at the moment but will have another look later.

EDIT:- Here you go

www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68181&highlight=bronzemoonoutdoors

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I spotted this for the first time on youtube a week ago, and like a beautiful woman- I haven't been able to take my mind off it since.

So I finally bit the bullet today and bought one :mexwave::mexwave:

Condor pack parang.
60948.jpg

I'll be using it for splitting firewood, and food prep on my next outing to try it out.

Does anyone else have one, and how have you gotten on with it? I would also be interested to hear your opinions on the full size version. I already have the condor golok and love it.

Looks just like mine. :) Haven't used it yet but I'm very happy with the overall quality. I also bought the pack golok, which I actually like a little better. Haven't used it yet either.

Both are heavy duty choppers suitable for hardwoods.

mohd

Jul 4, 2012
Malaysia
.. I'll be using it for splitting firewood, and food prep on my next outing to try it out ..
.. It is the same as my Iban parang but full tang ..
Both of you are right :)
Condor made the parang base on what we Malaysian called as Parang Candung or Duku Candung (i.e. Parang is a Malay word while Duku is a Dayak word) which is the EDC tool for Dayak people (i.e. Iban is one of the Dayak ethnic) in Sarawak, Malaysia.
Many of them still live in long houses in the jungle of Sarawak and they use the Parang Candung as an all purpose companion for cutting, light chopping, food preparation even for self defence.
It's not a new design but it's already exist for hundreds of years which IMVHO it means the design has undergone so many changes here and there and the current design is actually the best proven functional model.

Image1082.jpg

Ray Mears also uses a Parang Candung in his outdoor survival programs which was shown in one of his youtube.

.. Does anyone else have one, and how have you gotten on with it? I would also be interested to hear your opinions on the full size version. I already have the condor golok and love it ..
Mine is another model which is called as Parang Lading Pendek or Lading Pendek.
The design is about the same but with a narrower blade width.
The widest part of the Parang Candung is in the range of 2" - 4" while the widest part of Lading Pendek is in the range of 1 1/2" - 2".
Lading Pendek is more popular among Malay (i.e. villagers) in Peninsular Malaysia and it is believed to be originated from Sumatra, Indonesia.

ParangCandungMangAko04.jpg

Noticed the long ricasso of my Lading Pendek?
Actually the original Parang Candung and Lading Pendek should have a long ricasso.
It's meant for a two hands grip where the application of cutting or light chopping requires two hands.

BTW, Parang Candung or Lading Pendek is never meant to replace hatchet/ax in heavy chopping or felling big trees more than ~ 4" in diameter :nono:

.. I'll be using it ..
Looking forward for your review pal :)

mohd

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks very much for the link Silverback. I think I have made a really big mistake here. :sigh:

Over the past few days I have called them numerous times with no response. I have just sent an email to try and cancel my order but I don't think I'll have much luck with that either. I paid by debit card and I don't think there is much I can do about it. I will be writing to my back to see if I can get a chargeback on my card and thats about all I can do. ANyone have any other ideas?

On a brighter note, those parangs you posted look amazing Mohd. The bottom one is really eye catching, beautifully made.

Who's? Mine?

If so, you might want to search for jungle parang accident on this site. I think my less-than-betterhalf, EmmaD started it. You'll understand why the full tang is preferable to my future acquirements if you read that.

Full tang was one of the main things That The UK SERE instructor team wanted when they came to me for a UK Parang version
And the locals who tested them want the steel sending John back with cardboard patterns of their own fav Parangs

long ricasso IMO is Important as it means you don't thin the neck making it sharp or have to HT it to make it hard enough for an edge both these can mean a dramatic failure at that point . Also for close fine work its better to grip the ricasso as this is generally the Point of balance so you should have more control than bringing the edge up close to the handle

Last edited:

mohd

Jul 4, 2012
Malaysia
.. Full tang was one of the main things That The UK SERE instructor team wanted when they came to me for a UK Parang version ..
I've seen one Lading Pendek with a full tang made by O'Katz the Telok Intan smith :)
Anyhow the ricasso has a flared down choil which we considered as not traditional any longer :cool:
Still it looks great to me :bigok:
It already went to Jay, my buddy in Penang and yet I'm still waiting for his review :cool:

OKatzLadingPendek02a.jpg

BTW, much thanks for all the nice words on my Lading Pendek :)

mohd

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Thanks very much for the link Silverback. I think I have made a really big mistake here. :sigh:Over the past few days I have called them numerous times with no response. I have just sent an email to try and cancel my order but I don't think I'll have much luck with that either. I paid by debit card and I don't think there is much I can do about it. I will be writing to my back to see if I can get a chargeback on my card and thats about all I can do. ANyone have any other ideas?

Really sorry about your misfortune, wish i had seen your post a bit earlier :mad:
Don't like using my credit card but always tend to with an unknown retailer as you have more clout if things go tits-up.
Have a word with your bank and try to stop the payment and tell them why, it might not be too late, hope you get sorted mate, let us know how you get on.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks for your advice silverback, you may have just saved me a few quid. I let my guard down as it looked like such a big established store. I would have bought from heinnies if only they had it in stock. I gave my bank a call and it seems like all is not lost. I'm to call the bank back on Monday and they should be able to stop the transaction as they will be able to investigate it further (they try contacting the company, and if they don't get contact- then they know its a con).

Hopefully no one is reading this thinking "Whats the problem, you only ordered a few days ago".

So here are the facts:

1) Automated response from purchase with absolutly no follow up or dispatch email.

2) Lots of evidence of people being stung by them from other threads.

3) Multiple calls over 2 days, and leaving multiple messages. -No response.

4) Multiple emails- No response.

(sorry for all the red font, I just want potential buyers to see this.)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
This is good news Kingpin, the bank should be able to sort it and stop (or re-claim) the payment to these cowboys, might be worth printing all this forum blurb off (if allowed) best of luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE