Boot Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Hello chaps.

As you have probably guessed by the thread title i've come for a bit of advice on my boots.. ;)

They are bloody fantastic pieces of kit (the most important piece you can have in the woods I think), anyway, I wouldn't say they are getting battered - they're still in very good condition. However, I have been worrying about the join between the leather and the rubber rim around the foot and the join inbetween. Perhaps some pictures might help you understand what I mean..

scarpa1.jpg

scarpa2.jpg

scarpa3.jpg

Before I've just worn shoes/boots until they've completely fallen apart then just bought new ones. But these ones are SO comfy, they've been with me up Snowdon, to Europe and have sentimental value.. ok, shut it. :p I wear them every day as a posty and they have more than proved their comfort and worth but when it rains, they get wet and due to the gaps.. they soak up water like nobodies business.

So does anyone have any useful ideas about solutions?

I have considered Gorilla glue but am not sure about how that would react to leather and also how flexible it is when dried. You see I would need something that dries "rubbery" so it could flex with the boot when I bend my foot.. That brought me on to looking at a product called "Shoe Goo", which looks ok and has good reviews. Do any bushcrafters have any experience with it? Or any other bright ideas?

Do hope you can help!

Cheers, Smith :)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
+1 on the Shoe Goo, used to use it regularly on my trainers to get more mileage, it works well.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I would use SHOE GOO..........I've done a lot of repairs on my boots, (including re-sticking parts of the sole) & so far it's been bloody great. It sort of becomes "as one" with the materials it's glued to (rubber & leather in my case ) & dries to a rubber like substance....cheap too.I got my gunge from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370505834379&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks guys for the posts. and Ebay links. :) I've ordered myself some on the bay, found the big tube it for £4.99 with free postage.

Any idea how it reacts with leather? I don't want to "burn" it or tarnish it and do more harm than good..

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
No worries about it burning the leather or rubber. Make sure you clean it all out, remove as much of the old glue as you can (no chemicals) & a quick rub with sand paper (the surfaces to be glued) Once you've applied the gunge, put them away safely & leave for at least 3 days to dry (cure).
There are a few tutorials on youtube, plus some info on the web ( just google "how to use shoe goo" )
One word of caution, do it outside if you can, even in a ventilated room the fumes hang around for days & I find them a little gagging. Good luck, don't rush it & if you need any advice, just ask !

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
No worries about it burning the leather or rubber. Make sure you clean it all out, remove as much of the old glue as you can (no chemicals) & a quick rub with sand paper (the surfaces to be glued) Once you've applied the gunge, put them away safely & leave for at least 3 days to dry (cure).
There are a few tutorials on youtube, plus some info on the web ( just google "how to use shoe goo" )
One word of caution, do it outside if you can, even in a ventilated room the fumes hang around for days & I find them a little gagging. Good luck, don't rush it & if you need any advice, just ask !

Thank you for the detailed advice dude. :) I hadn't expected a drying time of 3 days but I suppose it will be worth it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE