Bookalcoholics!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
We've had kitalcoholics, now who's a bookalocholic then??

I'm terrible for buying books. Currenty I must be averaging 6 books a months from Amazon, not to mention when I pass Waterstones.

Her indoors thinks I have a probelm!!! I tell her knowledge is power.. :wink:

So come on I don't think that I will be alone!!! LOL :lol:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I don't have a problem at all. Really, I don't ...

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Not enough books is my problem....and i have too many that i want to read to chose from!

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Me to loads of books More on the way from the Miss's for Christmas I normally give her a book list for Christmas and birthday

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
I get sent books to read. For free. And I don't have to send them back. Publishers reps knock on my office door and offer me free delights. I can send emails and books arrive. I have even been paid to read books :yikes:

Of course, these aren't bushcraft books, but they're still books :wink:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I too am a bookaholic. I buy many, but check out from the Public library way more than I buy. Here is my favorite quote about libraries.

Those who write professionally must live eternally in humble gratitude for public libraries. What makes libraries invaluable is when they are highly functional. What makes them highly functional is not only the generous appropriations for the purchase of books, but a staff that is able to bring the overwhelming information a library contains to the reading public.
Calvin Rutstrum, A Columnist Looks at Life, Here’s Cal Rutstrum, 1981

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Somebody on this site is not being honest, somebody on this site is remaining a little too quiet,

...you know who you are...if Hoodoo can come clean about his knives than you can come clean about books...

:wink:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm certainly one.
Which reminds me, haven't bought any in a while...

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
I am currently under a temporary ban on book buying. My girlfriend has already tried imposing a 'if you buy a new book, get rid of an old book' rule. I bypassed this using the 'second hand books aren't new books' line!

Do they do 12 step programs for this?

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
2000 books is pretty impressive. A friend of mine totalled 2500 and then sent them off to Amazon and the charity shop as he is preparing to go travelling. The type of travelling where you sell all your belonging and possible never return!!! I'm jealous..

Maybe everyone should write a top 20 book list and compare lists. Keep the subject matter to bushcraft and related topics.

What ya reckon?

It's also a test... If you can list off 20 without refering to your bookshelf then you really are a bookalcoholic!!! LOL (Especially if you can recite the top line of page 20 in each book without looking!!) If anyone answers that one then there are a true anorak!!! LOL :biggthump

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Kim said:
Hoodoo, just how big a house do you live in....?

Not big enough. :rolmao: That's why I keep a lot of books at my office. :) To be honest, 2,000 is a pretty conservative estimate. It's probably closer to 3,000. I have a lot of mysteries boxed up that I forgot about. I've been collecting books for over 40 years. Eventually they accumulated into a tidy pile. :lol: I have an office in my basement as well and I can JUST get in and out of it without knocking over a pile of books. The shelves are filled wall to wall.

One of these days I'm going to start reading some of them... :lol:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
A couple of my top twenty came as recommendations from Hoodoo...2 right on top are:

Cache Lake Country, John Rowlands
The Dangerous River, RM Patterson

Hoodoo introduced me to these two and was instrumental in my rereads and reevaluations of Kephart's and Nessmuk's Woodcraft and Camping--Camping and Woodcraft.....never can remember which is which :eek:):

My other 16 include several of Calvin Rutstrum's reflective volumes (The Wilderness Life, Once Upon a Wilderness, Challenge of the Wilderness/A Wilderness Autobiography (counts as one), Chips from a Wilderness Log, and Backcountry), certainly Rutstrum's New Way of the Wilderness and its soft cover predecessor Way of the Wilderness (2 editions), a few of Sigurd Olson's early books (Singing Wilderness, The Lonely Land, Listening Point and Runes of the North ), Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It, and Other Stories, Patrick McManus humor collections, especially A Fine and Pleasant Misery, Aldo Leupold's Sand County Almanac Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire, and the Conover's Winter Wilderness Companion.

Most of these get a good reread fairly often.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Here are some of my dads books. Most of my closest reletives on my dads side are writers (or similiar!) my grandmother was a writer for the new yorker, my grandfather is (was) a book binder and my uncle is a journalist in the U.N.

I can't find the thread i started about this book, this is an absolute must!!!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Jake,

Given some of my behaviours this one may be quite useful...or a bit too close to home........

Rapid Reference to Lifestyle and Behaviour Change Stephen Rollnick, Chris Dunn

Is obsessive knife purchasing covered?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE