Bodges Staffordshire Oatcake Tutorial (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Bodges’ Staffordshire Oatcake Tutorial

Anybody from the Staffordshire area will know about our local delicacy ‘The Oatcake’
They have been a staple part of the Staffordshire diet for generations and (unless filled with bacon and cheese) are a healthy nutritious food which can be served anytime of the day.

I have taken Oatcakes to many of the meets I have attended and handed out samples for folk to try. These samples have usually contained bacon and cheese, but can be filled with anything you fancy really, even jam works well.

Around the Staffordshire area you will find Oatcake shops dotted around the city, some in high street locations and others in back street terraced house locations, which is where ‘the Oatcake’ was probably born.

Some shops sell just oatcakes and some sell them filled with savoury items and ready to eat as well as on their own.

Supermarkets sell a mass produced version of an oatcake, but as oatcakes are best eaten within 24 hours of baking, contain preservatives and things to extend their shelf life and thus in my own opinion could double as a shoe repair kit whilst out in the field.

Every Oatcake shop produces a different oatcake, some are thick and stodgy some thinner and lighter which I prefer.

The main ingredient in a quality oatcake is of course oatmeal. South Cheshire is the location of the mornflake mill where tons of quality oats are produced every day.

Strong plain flour comes second followed by other ingredients, ending in water.

Oatcake recipes are very closely guarded secrets and are handed down through shop owner generations and sold to new owners under cloak and dagger secrecy.

I have studied different available recipes and each one is different with different quantities and extra or less ingredients. I have recently been trialling a simple recipe and have tweaked it to make what I consider to be my preferred type of oatcake.

I tested them out at the recent Midland meet and I think everyone is still with us so here goes my tweaked oatcake recipe shamelessly borrowed from another one, with a bit of another one…..you get the idea.

10 OZS. OF MEDIUM COARSE OATMEAL.
6 OZS STRONG WHITE PLAIN FLOUR.
1.5 TBLS. DRIED SKIMMED MILK.
2 TSPS. QUICK ACT DRIED YEAST.
1 TSPS. SUGAR.
1 - 1.5 TSP SALT (ADDED LATER)

This mix should make between 15 and 18 thinnish Oatcakes.

Place all ingredients into large bowl and make well in centre. Put in 700ml warm water and mix well. (Mixture should be quite ''loose'' like pancake batter. This may thicken after standing ''loosen'' again to a batter consistency). It is fine to add a little more warm water.

Now cover and place in a warm place (airing cupboard) for about 1hour 30 mins. - 2 hours.

After standing, uncover and mix well. Add more warm water if necessary, possibly about 200 -300ml to make it into 'loose' batter. Now add 1 - 1.5 tsps salt (depending on taste) - do not do this sooner or you will kill the yeast.

Heat a skillet or frying pan on high and make yourself an oiling pad as in the picture. Once heated, pad the cooking surface with oil (I use regular olive oil) as shown. Turn down heat slightly and pour your oatcake mix from a ladle and roll the pan to thin the mixture out. Cook on the first side until the edges start to curl up slightly and the mixture on the top has all but changed to a darker shade. Turn the oatcake over to cook the other side, cook until all mixture is set. Make sure you 'roll' the pan to get an even coveridge - you'll soon get the idea of how thick you want them. Re-oil pan with your pad between oatcakes.

You will probably waste quite a few at first until you get used to the mix. You should try to avoid thick oatcakes with this mix as it is designed for a thin oatcake and will not cook right and end up stodgy and incorrect.

You are aiming for a very light golden tinge on the first cooked side and either the same but probably lighter on the second.

Cool on racks (very important as they will stick and sweat if put together whilst warm). These are now ready to do as you want with, either fill with bacon cheese and skillet them. or wrap cheese in them and warm in microwave or under grill.

You can now batch what you don't want today and pop in the freezer (remembering to put in the right amount for each meal or you wont be able to separate them while they are frozen). You can now have oatcakes just when you fancy them, enjoy them, i do…

Enjoy!!!!!!

First I loaded the ingredients into the kenwood chef bowl
SA400073.jpg

I have found that oatmeal is more expensive than regular oats so I got regular oats and put them through the food processer to grind it down to oatmeal texture.
SA400075.jpg

Oatmeal Morrisons 500g 53p
SA400074.jpg

Oats Asda 2kg £1.00

Next I mixed in the water and let the chef do the work (it’s easy with a spoon too).
SA400076.jpg

I used this yeast as it’s what I use for our bread machine.
SA400077.jpg

once the mix is done and put to rest in a warm place for 90 mins it will look like this.
You will have to 'loosen' it as in the instructions before you cook it.;)
SA400078.jpg

Get your racks out :approve:
SA400079.jpg

I made an oil pad from a plate and a sheet of bounty kitchen towel and olive oil (not virgin) don’t forget some tongs or you’ll cook your fingers later on.
SA400080.jpg

SA400081.jpg

SA400082.jpg

SA400084.jpg

Stir the mix now and then.
SA400083.jpg

SA400085.jpg

SA400086.jpg

SA400087-1.jpg

You can see how the mixture has air in it from the yeast
SA400090-1.jpg

You should get holes appearing as you roll the pan
SA400091-1.jpg

SA400094-1.jpg

Lay out the hot oatcakes in a single layer until cold, you can then start to stack them.
SA400095.jpg

When they are completely cold they can be bagged and tagged or whatever
And kept for 24 – 36 hours if cool. or frozen for yonks.

They are best eaten fresh though and once you’ve finished you can get swmbo to take a photo of you looking like a nutter (swmbo said it).
SA400093-2.jpg

She says the pinny suits me:lmao:

Please post your results here to make my small effort worthwhile :D

Bodge

Last edited:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Very nice tutorial. I might well give those a go at the weekend. I've only had the plastic wrapped Staffordshire oatcakes from Sainsbury before now. Also a little long-closed baker back home used to do a soft oatcake, but not the same as this sort. I'll look forward to giving this a try. Thanks.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Definately giving that a go mate. Oatcakes rule! We only seem to get thick ones round here in shops, that dont roll up.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Great tutorial Bodge :) I'll have a bash and report the results - I can see a new family favourite coming on ;)

How close are there to the ones you buy? I can't wait for this.

Great tutorial Bodge :) I'll have a bash and report the results - I can see a new family favourite coming on ;)

How close are there to the ones you buy? I can't wait for this.

They are as near as damn it Matt. It makes a difference depending on the heat settings, try to keep the pan quite hot. I'm not sure what the results will be like on a non stick pan either.

Bodge:)

sounds good.

Guess 1pt fresh milk would work in stead of 500ml water and milk powder.

I think it would be ok. as I said in the first part of the tutorial there are many recipies, some of which use milk instead.
I found that the recipie in the tutorial was the right one for how I prefer them but everybodys taste is different so give it go and let us know how it goes.:)

Bodge

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: But, but, but........Bodge, oatcakes are wee crispy, nutty things, toasted on a fire and served with crowdie and salmon or jam and cheddar ;) :D

Seriously, excellent tutorial :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE